• 2 Post By Aquaria
  • 1 Post By Davetherave
  • 1 Post By Hoser
  • 1 Post By Hoser
  • 1 Post By Hoser
  • 1 Post By Hoser
  • 1 Post By anisa
  • 1 Post By anisa

Thread: Any good deals for Home Internet and Phone and TV in Toronto?

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

hi,
    does anyone know of any good deals for Home Internet, home phone and TV for the Toronto area?

Currently, I have primus Internet (DSL; unlimited) and home phone bundled but the net has been horrible (keep having to reconnect the modem and router).

Also, we are with Rogers for TV because we can't find another place to get Fairchild TV channel (ch 36).

1. looking for unlimited internet with good connection at a fairly good price
    2. looking for cable/TV because it's getting expensive and may as well try to see if we can bundle everything together to get a better rate

thanks in advance.
    This thread is currently associated with: Rogers (Plus)

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

In the toronto area you can pick up quite a few channels OTA if you don't mind using an antenna and don't mind being limited to local'ish channels (Ontario/NY State)

$80 for a good antenna that is about 2'x4' and after that you have no expenses!
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Could depend on if you are in a building that is tied to specific cable supplier, the area you are in (could be one company's region) and also the outdoor geography (are you in a valley, have any rocky landforms or trees in area, are there taller buildings near your residence).

Cogeco likely does not serve Toronto area. I don't see the city name in the storefront drop-down list.

Am going to suggest you visit Canadian Outages dot com to see what other customers with various telco/cable suppliers are posting about any service issue turnaround times or problems in your area. You'll have a better idea of what you might experience if you get the same suppliers.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Aquaria View Post
    hi,
    does anyone know of any good deals for Home Internet, home phone and TV for the Toronto area?

Currently, I have primus Internet (DSL; unlimited) and home phone bundled but the net has been horrible (keep having to reconnect the modem and router).

Also, we are with Rogers for TV because we can't find another place to get Fairchild TV channel (ch 36).

FairChild TV is also on Bell (both satellite and FibeTV)-- channels 716, 717 from Toronto, and 718 from Vancouver
    FairChild TV 2 is also available on both Bell services

I dont know about other local cable companies because as Ciel mentioned it could be very specific regionally who services your cable needs.

Bell does offer bundles for TV/Internet/Phone -- but I have no idea what they might be charging in your area as it can fluctuate by neighbourhood, not just region. Door-to-door sales reps can often offer bundles that are not advertised on their website as well, if you can get in touch with one find out what they might be willing to offer.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I use Ooma for my home phone, Cost me $99 for the unit, hooked into my internet, and cost me $4 a month. Free phone anywhere in Canada.. and 60 other countries.. Have NO complaints at all!
    dededi, Davetherave and Aquaria like this.

Trading Score
    8 (100%)

Can anyone teach me how to get rid of cable and use netflix or shoji or those other things? It seems so confusing and I don't want to pay $100+ per month for cable anymore.

Oops never mind. I found the "get rid of cable thread!"
    Last edited by grumpy; Sun, Feb 7th, 2016 at 11:35 AM.
    anisa, dededi, Davetherave and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

For phone we use Magic Jack. It is roughly $50+ a year ($35 + $10 Canadian number fee + taxes) There is no monthly fee, it is a dirt cheap way of always having a home number.
    Bonus, it is not listed in the white pages so you almost never get telemarketing calls.

It plugs directly into our modem, so you do not have to keep your computer running. The only drawback is that if your internet is down, so is your phone service, but if you always have a cell phone handy then no worries.
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

thank you all for the info. i'm still researching with family. we might be looking at fido internet and phone bundle, but will definitely have to check out bell for fairchild channel.
    dededi and Davetherave like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by anisa View Post
    For phone we use Magic Jack. It is roughly $50+ a year ($35 + $10 Canadian number fee + taxes) There is no monthly fee, it is a dirt cheap way of always having a home number.
    Bonus, it is not listed in the white pages so you almost never get telemarketing calls.

It plugs directly into our modem, so you do not have to keep your computer running. The only drawback is that if your internet is down, so is your phone service, but if you always have a cell phone handy then no worries.
    Thanks very much I have to check that out.
    dededi likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    Could depend on if you are in a building that is tied to specific cable supplier, the area you are in (could be one company's region) and also the outdoor geography (are you in a valley, have any rocky landforms or trees in area, are there taller buildings near your residence).

Cogeco likely does not serve Toronto area. I don't see the city name in the storefront drop-down list.

Am going to suggest you visit Canadian Outages dot com to see what other customers with various telco/cable suppliers are posting about any service issue turnaround times or problems in your area. You'll have a better idea of what you might experience if you get the same suppliers.
    You are right Cogeco which I have, does not service Toronto. They serve Niagara Region and some parts of Quebec mainly.
    dededi likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by anisa View Post

I know some people that use Magic Jack and love it BUT if your phone isn't working then you need to use your cell phone to contact them and cell phone calls aren't cheap. Also if your Internet goes then they can't help you. Your phone will not work. Magic Jack can save people a ton of money but can be a pan too. Good luck trying to even find a contact phone number for them from what I recall. I know someone that was using them and their phone didn't work for ages. Oh, poo! You already mentioned all this. LOL I know someone that is thinking of switching to them but advised them not to.
    dededi likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by bhlombardy View Post
    FairChild TV is also on Bell (both satellite and FibeTV)-- channels 716, 717 from Toronto, and 718 from Vancouver
    FairChild TV 2 is also available on both Bell services

I dont know about other local cable companies because as Ciel mentioned it could be very specific regionally who services your cable needs.

Bell does offer bundles for TV/Internet/Phone -- but I have no idea what they might be charging in your area as it can fluctuate by neighbourhood, not just region. Door-to-door sales reps can often offer bundles that are not advertised on their website as well, if you can get in touch with one find out what they might be willing to offer.
    Bell is horrible and so is Satellite TV. I tried it with them. After 3 attempts they finally found out they could not give me HD like they promised. Internet speeds are never as promised. They did not include a feature in my phone service I asked for. If weather is bad, the signal is always cutting out. Even a lot of times when it is good. Always downloading the channel. Not good to miss what you are watching because of that.
    dededi likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

In short, pay the higher price and stick with Rogers! Lived in Toronto for 47 years before now living in Welland for about 11. Most of the 47 years I was in TO I used Rogers. Most of the 11 years in Welland I have been using Cogeco Cable. I always regretted when I have tried Bell for services. Other phone companies like Primus didn't cut it either.
    Antenna's are like Satellites and cut in and out all the time and depending where you are you might be limited to the channels you get. Depends on the quality of the antenna too.
    dededi likes this.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Hoser View Post
    I know some people that use Magic Jack and love it BUT if your phone isn't working then you need to use your cell phone to contact them and cell phone calls aren't cheap. Also if your Internet goes then they can't help you. Your phone will not work. Magic Jack can save people a ton of money but can be a pan too. Good luck trying to even find a contact phone number for them from what I recall. I know someone that was using them and their phone didn't work for ages. Oh, poo! You already mentioned all this. LOL I know someone that is thinking of switching to them but advised them not to.
    We have been using it for a few years now with no issues on Magicjacks end. We also use Rogers internet and have had no issues with our internet service.

I guess we have been lucky.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
    dededi likes this.
    R

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

If you negotiate with rogers, you can pay a comparatively reasonable rate

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
    Last edited by anisa; Fri, Feb 12th, 2016 at 09:18 AM.
    dededi likes this.
    R

Thread Information