User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: What Credit Card Do You Like?

Trading Score
    15 (100%)

Now that we have our budget until control we are considering a rewards/cash back credit card to use for our monthly spending (paying it off each month).

I would prefer one without an annual fee. Interest rate does not matter as we will only be putting our normal spending on this and always paying it off.

What card do you use or prefer?

What has the best perks for earning either rewards or cash?
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    beckie.c likes this.
    SUPERPOINTS IS BACK!!!!
    Come join the fun
    https://www.superpoints.com/join/E_V...HakUR2RSb3SXJk

Trading Score
    27 (100%)

Dh and I both have the PC World Mastercard, I find its a great card if you do a good chunk of your grocery shopping in PC Stores, because you get 20 pts for every $1 at PC Stores, 10 points per $1 everywhere else. Redeeming for free groceries is always quick and easy.

I'm waiting for the Tangerine Mastercard, since you can choose two of your 2% cash back categories, 1% cash back elsewhere. (We bank at Tangerine)

Would love to hear what everyone else is using!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

You could always choose an annual fee card that waives the fee for the first year, and then cancel before it's time to renew. I currently have the TD Visa Aeroplan Infinite ($120 Annual Fee). The card has been great for the first year although I will be cancelling it before renewal. I earned a huge amount of Aeroplan miles since I joined as it's my primary card. My secondary card is the MBNA SmartCash World MasterCard (since 2008), which will become my primary card after I cancel with TD.

Trading Score
    107 (100%)

This is not really a recommendation, just sharing that we are using Scotia Momentum No-fee Visa card. We've had it forever and got it when we didn't know any better. Blurb says "1% cash back is earned on eligible gas station, grocery and drug store purchases and on recurring bill payments." Also earns 0.50% cash back on everything else.
    Search & Win using Swagbucks! Redeem for amazon.ca/Cineplex/Shutterfly gift cards.
    Click >>> Swagbucks <<< and start earning your own.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

The one and only PC world elite MC.
    Don't worry that it will be hard to get world elite MC from PC. If you are interested, you can aply for regular PCMC or world MC, get this card, use it for a few months to build good relationship with PC guys. After afew months you can call them to upgrade your MC.
    Everything is no-fee at PCFinancial. (Not the loans/debt)
    walkonby and Frugalbigmama like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

1. RBC Cash Back Master Card with NO annual fee. 2 % back on groceries and 1 % back on everything else.

http://www.rbcroyalbank.com/credit-c...ck-mastercard/

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Give my thread on a read, you should double dip if you can (get $200+ welcome bonus AND use it daily)

Jerry's List of Credit Cards with $200+ Welcome bonus/Aeroplan/AMEX MR

http://www.tiny url.com/JerryCC
    Last edited by jerryhung; Thu, Feb 18th, 2016 at 10:59 AM.
    Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's List of Credit Cards with $200+ Welcome bonus/Aeroplan & AMEX Churning FAQ
    AMEX Personal 60K || Business Platinum 75K || Biz Gold 40K || SPG 20K

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by amira84 View Post
    The one and only PC world elite MC.
    Don't worry that it will be hard to get world elite MC from PC. If you are interested, you can aply for regular PCMC or world MC, get this card, use it for a few months to build good relationship with PC guys. After afew months you can call them to upgrade your MC.
    Everything is no-fee at PCFinancial. (Not the loans/debt)
    My #1 card too. But you have to first decide which reward you want to use/will benefit you the best. If it's travelling then a travel reward card would be best. But for me I LOVE my pc points. I can get free groceries and Gift Cards for other places. I try and do all my grocery shopping there since I get 30 pts per $1 spent there. It adds up quickly.
    amira84 likes this.

tightwad and proud of it! brunt's Avatar
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Canadian Tire Mastercard. No fee (this particular cheapie would rather have no credit card than one with a fee).

Earns 20% bonus Canadian Tire Money in the store. Earns CT Money in their gas stations (often in the $0.04 per litre range). They often have bonus points in store on selected items (20x regular). Earns points everywhere else you buy.

That having been said, we do not like travel cards (we don't travel, so they don't do us much good), and as I said earlier, we will never, ever, ever pay a fee for a card.

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Isn't the Canadian Tire MC the one where you can pay your property taxes on? It used to be that you could pay your tuition and other credit cards off of so you could double dip in points, but they've probably changed it by now. Of course, all that was subject to whether or not your university or city was listed on their list of payees.

I was tempted to get it years ago, but opted for the MC Smart Cash and Capital One Aspire Cash. I think I will cancel the Smart Cash if DH gets the Tangerine MC.

I think the PC World Elite is available on ratesupermarket.ca for 20,000 PC points, plus $100 GC at certain places.
    MortgageQueen likes this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Grey, you should really consider another no fee cash back card that at least gives you 1% cash back everywhere. Lots of them out there now BMO, Amex, CapOne, Tangerine, RBC, etc...

Trading Score
    15 (100%)

Very interesting everyone. I love the PC one, may apply for that. Great tips!
    SUPERPOINTS IS BACK!!!!
    Come join the fun
    https://www.superpoints.com/join/E_V...HakUR2RSb3SXJk

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I know there's the Scotiabank Infinite momentum visa that offers 4% cashback on groceries. There is an annual fee. My favorite card is Amex Platinum airmiles, but that's only good if your a hardcore airmiles collector like me

Trading Score
    454 (100%)

I have a TD card, it was my first one. I did comparison at one point and most CC offered the same type of rebates just this one is cash that gets applied to your balance every January. I'm much too lazy at this point to check into things again the main reason I still use my TD card is because of the massive credit limit I have with it that I know I could not get elsewhere.

I recently applied for a PCMC for the second time. I first applied 14 months ago and they refused me even though I have amazing credit score. Their loss really because at the time I wasn't really interested in having two cards. So we shall see if I get refused again.

I also bank with PC.
    Insert Clever Signature Here

Luv Saving People Money MortgageQueen's Avatar
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by brunt View Post
    Canadian Tire Mastercard. No fee (this particular cheapie would rather have no credit card than one with a fee).

Earns 20% bonus Canadian Tire Money in the store. Earns CT Money in their gas stations (often in the $0.04 per litre range). They often have bonus points in store on selected items (20x regular). Earns points everywhere else you buy.

That having been said, we do not like travel cards (we don't travel, so they don't do us much good), and as I said earlier, we will never, ever, ever pay a fee for a card.
    Sounds very similar to PCMC. I could see them complimenting each other.

PLEASE REMEMBER Everyone: You NEED 2 ACTIVE FORMS OF CREDIT activity for 2 years if you plan on applying for a mortgage!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information