User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Passport Photo at Walmart

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

I've never hsad problems like that..IIRC, Jean Coutu charged me $8.99 for Ds's photos with a re-shoot if they weren't accepted.

The only problems I've had has been ensuring the picture is 1) large enough and 2) uncut for our British passports.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Sorry you got ripped off! But thanks for posting. I will remember this when I go to renew passport in the next year. did you at least get the wallet? if not I would keep bugging them for it even if you don't want it just on principle.

Trading Score
    454 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by scouponer View Post
    Sorry you got ripped off! But thanks for posting. I will remember this when I go to renew passport in the next year. did you at least get the wallet? if not I would keep bugging them for it even if you don't want it just on principle.
    I did. Its super cheap and flimsy. Worse then dollar store quality.
    toronto166 and Davetherave like this.
    Insert Clever Signature Here

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Why can't Pass Port Office just have their own photo's ? Its all digital these days any ways, so why get a crappy paper photo from you and then scan it and make it digital ? Take a digital photo right there in the PP office by looking into a camera . With 10 yr PP's now, there won't be too much rush either, like before.

Driver's License , Health Card all these Gov. offices have it any ways & take your photo right there . The PP office can even charge for it or include it in your PP fees, they can make good money out of it, plus its easy & convenient for the customer's too

Maybe for kids & baby's, its a bit hard to take their photos, but adults should be fine

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by tjthemanto View Post
    Why can't Pass Port Office just have their own photo's ? Its all digital these days any ways, so why get a crappy paper photo from you and then scan it and make it digital ? Take a digital photo right there in the PP office by looking into a camera . With 10 yr PP's now, there won't be too much rush either, like before.

Driver's License , Health Card all these Gov. offices have it any ways & take your photo right there . The PP office can even charge for it or include it in your PP fees, they can make good money out of it, plus its easy & convenient for the customer's too

Maybe for kids & baby's, its a bit hard to take their photos, but adults should be fine
    I think it's because you need to have someone sign the photos to say that you're actually the person in them. Identity theft prevention that they can't prove at the office. Federal office won't rely on provincial ID ?
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Trading Score
    454 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by torontogal12 View Post
    I think it's because you need to have someone sign the photos to say that you're actually the person in them. Identity theft prevention that they can't prove at the office. Federal office won't rely on provincial ID ?
    I'm doing a renewal and I am not required to sign the back of my pictures. The instructions I printed from online with the form specifically tell me I don't need to sign the pictures.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by tjthemanto View Post
    Not putting a price , seems to be a deliberate ploy, to scam people !!!

My SDM clearly has the price prominently displayed, not sure, why WM can't do the same !

Imagine if they had asked for 50 bucks ! Then, what ??
    If a price isn't displayed, doesn't one normally ask what the cost is before having it done?
    ClipClap, agarla, Cake and 1 others like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by ilovecats View Post
    If a price isn't displayed, doesn't one normally ask what the cost is before having it done?
    A person maybe in a hurry or distracted and since the photostudio is in the Walmart store assume the price would be reasonable.

Each Day is a Blessing... Snow In Summer's Avatar
    Trading Score
    9 (100%)

I've always had mine done at Costco as its cheap and they are really fast. Thanks for posting this as it just triggered me into looking at my passport which needs to be updated soon too!!!

Trading Score
    454 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by ilovecats View Post
    One assumes that Walmart is fairly reasonable because the rest of their groceries are generally in my opinion an okay price. One also assumed that all retailers charged within about $5 of each other but never realized there were companies out there asking almost as much as 4 times the amount as others.

As a fairly new costco member I never realized they had a photo center and when I did look into it I didn't imagine that it would be a reasonable price because I have found a lot of grocery items at Costco to actually be more expensive then just buying store brand at Walmart nevermind taking sale prices into account.

There is a very small list of things I shop at Costco for that are cheaper then elsewhere so when you take that into account I figured that Walmart would be cheaper.

Trading Score
    70 (100%)

walmart photo center (which is no longer walmart photo center as some has mentioned) has sky rocketed in price in the last 2-3 years... you used to be able to get a photo package of your kid for 9.99-14.99 it's now easily $25 for the same package (and less photos!) the company that owns them also owns the sears photo outlets too
    When life hands you Edward Cullen...throw him back and demand Eric Northman....

Trading Score
    70 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleBunny89 View Post
    One assumes that Walmart is fairly reasonable because the rest of their groceries are generally in my opinion an okay price. One also assumed that all retailers charged within about $5 of each other but never realized there were companies out there asking almost as much as 4 times the amount as others.

As a fairly new costco member I never realized they had a photo center and when I did look into it I didn't imagine that it would be a reasonable price because I have found a lot of grocery items at Costco to actually be more expensive then just buying store brand at Walmart nevermind taking sale prices into account.

There is a very small list of things I shop at Costco for that are cheaper then elsewhere so when you take that into account I figured that Walmart would be cheaper.

costco does wonderful photos/prints.. i find the quality of developing to be much better then walmart, plus you can order the prints online.. unlike walmart at the moment plus the price is great especially for larger prints (i'll often develop prints in a 5 by 7 size)
    Last edited by Midnightly; Sun, Mar 6th, 2016 at 06:33 AM.
    When life hands you Edward Cullen...throw him back and demand Eric Northman....

Trading Score
    5 (86%)

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleBunny89 View Post
    I'm fuming right now. Yesterday I got my passport photo taken because it is up for renewal. The first time we got them done we went to RCSS where I believe we paid $9.99 for them five years ago. DH had to get another passport photo taken about 6 months ago for another form of license and he went to Walmart where I believe it was less then $20.

So yesterday I was shocked when the cashier told me it was over $30 after taxes for a two second photo she took. I asked her didn't it used to be $9.99?! to which she told me that maybe once upon a time 20 years ago but never since she has worked there. So I grudgingly paid thinking maybe I didn't remember my pricing correctly as it had been 5 years.

So then today I'm looking at my receipt and it says I bought a "passport wallet". I bought passport pictures and was told that I received a FREE wallet with the purchase. I did NOT purchase a passport wallet. So I called the portrait studio (two of them to make sure) and they both told me that the price I was charged is correct and it is the same price with or without the wallet. When I quizzed them as to why my receipt says I was charged for a passport wallet when I didn't in fact buy one they said thats just the way it gets entered into the system.

Upon further investigation Costco only charges $6.99 for passport photos and I'm sure some other retailers are cheaper as well than the $30+ I paid to Walmart. At this point I'm so mad because I feel I've been conned and I paid almost 4 times the amount that I should have. And its not like I can return a picture. Sigh.

Learn from my mistake and do not go to Walmart portrait studio for passport photos unless you want to be swindled.
    Thanks I was going to WM too to get mine done. I went to Shoppers Drug Mart their reviews were much better for me and cheaper too.
    toronto166, dededi and Davetherave like this.
    Coin Out:
    https://coinout.com/referrals/new?r=MZC6CYR

Still paying with PayPal
    http://superpay.me/members/withdraw/list.php?ref=Truckerswife2

Trading Score
    27 (100%)

We got ours done 2 years ago at Costco. My DB and his GF need to go get theirs done for our family trip next year, so I will be sure to give them this heads up! Thanks for the warning!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information