• 3 Post By Frugalbigmama
  • 1 Post By peachies
  • 1 Post By matty's mom
  • 3 Post By Lyssia510
  • 1 Post By samm07
  • 2 Post By julies1949
  • 1 Post By Minou
  • 1 Post By ashoo

Thread: Kids' rubber boots are expensive!

Trading Score
    39 (100%)

Stopped at Walmart this afternoon to pick up some rubber boots for my 7-year-old son. We have quite a collection of boots in different sizes at home, but we didn't have his current size. Was shocked that basic black boots (the cheapest available) were $19.00, printed boots were $24.95, and foam/rubber boots were $34.95! And these are in kids' sizes at Wal-Mart!

Note to all parents: when you see decent rubber boots at garage sales for $1 a pair, buy the sizes you're going to need in the future! If someone offers you hand-me-downs, take them! I will be looking for sizes 3, 5, and 6 over the summer! Kids only wear the boots for about two weeks, and you seem to need a pair in just about every size, because they grow out of them by the next year. I'm lucky to have two boys, so boots can be reused. I feel terrible for people who have a boy and a girl and need two pairs of boots in every size! Imagine the cost of "stopping in to Walmart for rubber boots" when you have a girl and a boy!
    This thread is currently associated with: Walmart
    Ciel, ashoo and Lyssia510 like this.

Trading Score
    70 (100%)

check consignment stores...

i know the feeling though.. my daughter has boots and i'm glad i'm not the one who bought them because the price tag makes me gag! (though they are a pair of "bogs" boots) we get a size too large for them to grow with her
    Ciel likes this.
    When life hands you Edward Cullen...throw him back and demand Eric Northman....

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I was shocked last year when I stopped at Walmart to get my daughter a pair of rain boots. We left Walmart without a pair and went to Once Upon a Child for a pair. Sadly they did not have any in her size. A few days later we went back to Walmart to get a pair and we found a style that had been marked to $3.00 so we grabbed a pair in every size. Thankfully her feet seem to grow slow and she is still wearing the same size shoe as last year but we are stocked on rain boots. She is not happy though that every pair looks the same but oh well.
    Angela273 and Ciel like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

I was just looking at the prices of shoes etc at Walmart the other day for kids (and Spring jackets!!! Little kids size 4 for $34.99! For cheap Walmart brand??) I love Sportchek for years now. Shoes always on sale/clearance, use coupons and name brand!
    Ciel, peachies and torontogal12 like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    28 (100%)

[QUOTE=Frugalbigmama;6588540]I was just looking at the prices of shoes etc at Walmart the other day for kids (and Spring jackets!!! Little kids size 4 for $34.99! For cheap Walmart brand??) I love Sportchek for years now. Shoes always on sale/clearance, use coupons and name brand![/QUOTE

I rarely buy anything from Walmart. I find they are over priced for very poor quality. You can get better quality and cheaper at many other stores. I love Sportchek too, I'm always looking for sales and when they have those "day" flash sales you can get awesome deals.
    Ciel likes this.

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

I feel your pain. Little man is 6 1/2 year old and wears a size 4 youth. There have been ALOT of shoes/ boots. I second checking consignment store. I have pair for the next size, aside for his next growth. But, I have had problems with cracking with second hand and not, so I have had seasons were we have gone through two pairs of second hand boots - they are more likely to crack? The two times that I have bought rain boots from a chain store, I was grateful I did. His growing had slowed down, so I finally boight him the fireman rain boots from Canadian tire for 19$ on sale. They cracked in the spring from the fall. They have a one year guarantee, so I was able to exchange for his next size ( he was in between the two at that point) put in an insole and we were set for then and the next season. He is currently wearing a cheap pair of Bogs copies from Walmart and they have been fabulous. Especially in the milder winter. He loves them. They were well worth the $30 I paid.
    Ciel likes this.
    ROAK a Huggies or Pampers code to my local pregnancy centre- toys, clothes, food & diapers always needed!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Walmart is INSANELY expensive for kids clothing/shoes. And the quality is terrible for the most part. The only thing I'll buy there for dd is slippers, underwear and occasionally PJs.
    I refuse the pay their crazy prices for shoes when I can go to The Shoe Company/Winners/Sport Chek or even shoeme.ca(the last clearance sale they had I got her Hunters for $27) and get brand name shoes that last a lot longer for the same price or cheaper.
    Ciel, peachies and Candini like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    98 (100%)

I was really happy I grabbed a pair at a thrift store for $2.99 in the winter! Crazy size

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ciel likes this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I used to stock upon all sorts of kids things when I found a good sale. I had rain boots in every size for $3 pair. I also bought soccer cleats in every size at $5 pair from a sporting goods store that was going out of business. Een if they wore half the sizes, I was ahead of the game.
    Natalka and Ciel like this.

Trading Score
    39 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by julies1949 View Post
    I used to stock upon all sorts of kids things when I found a good sale. I had rain boots in every size for $3 pair. I also bought soccer cleats in every size at $5 pair from a sporting goods store that was going out of business. Een if they wore half the sizes, I was ahead of the game.
    Maybe that's why I'm so horrified and annoyed -- for seven years, I"ve had clearance deals in clothing and shoes/boots put away. I still have a closet full of clothes, boots, and shoes in the oldest's next size and more. Not sure how I missed this size... I hate paying full price for things. At least he has a younger brother to hand them down to!
    Ciel likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    154 (100%)

Check winners! I got a pair for my daughter last September right at the last moment. They were $11.99; not cheap but not super expensive as well. They are still going great.
    Ciel likes this.

Thread Information