User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree72Likes

Thread: Any bird experts here?

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by avoncallingu View Post
    I miss seeing chickadees around here. I know that there are chickadees in Chatham but none around our part and I have often wondered why, Robins a plenty and sparrows. We have blue jays and even a Blue Heron that hangs out from time to time at the pond. We have red-winged blackbirds that squawk at us when we go for walks and mallards that raised their young here last year and Canada Geese around the pond. In the winter junkos feed from the suet that we leave out but we really don't see them in the summer. We see seagulls and sandpipers as we are not too far from the lake.
    When I was in BC I came across a "blue heron apartment building" - a dead conifer with more than a dozen big, shaggy nests in it. I can't find the picture, dammit! But you can Google - they make some crazy structures.

We also have Baltimore Orioles here and they are a real treat to see because they are so bright, like a neon Robin. They weave a sock for a nest. My mother found one and the whole thing was woven off a piece of hay baler twine, made of grass and horse hair. It boggles my mind that these birds know to do this.

Name:  baltimore_oriole_7.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  31.3 KB
    Grey, TaraF, avoncallingu and 3 others like this.

Trading Score
    107 (100%)

Saw this pair of cardinals outside my window in June 2015. Quite noisy, probably in the middle of courtship. Other birds (mostly sparrows) came and were like shooing the pair away. It went on for several minutes.
    TaraF, walkonby, dededi and 1 others like this.
    Search & Win using Swagbucks! Redeem for amazon.ca/Cineplex/Shutterfly gift cards.
    Click >>> Swagbucks <<< and start earning your own.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Hi everyone, some really fantastic bird pics. May I introduce you to a forum in Ireland where the guys post some amazing pictures of their native birds as well. They are a very friendly bunch http://www.boards.ie/b/thread/2055338830/487#99605273 hope you enjoy them as much as I do.
    walkonby likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information