User Tag List

Page 6 of 30 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast
Like Tree2324Likes

Thread: April Frugal Chatter 2016

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Congratulations @Crochetlady and @Sweets parrow -you have moved on from debt. HURRAH! Pampering now imminent.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sweet sparrow View Post
    Mortgage. Is. Done. Phew!

It really felt like it was the longest process ever. Originally, it was meant to be a three year term, then renewed over to another final three year term. Of course, life gets in the way and we had to replace our car (expected), then maternity leave (expected, but we didn't know how it would be financially), then daycare (the move to three different daycares and how different expenses would be among them definitely not expected!)

I feel like collapsing on my floor. In my house. On my tiles. Staring at my ceiling. Just wow.....

HBP is all paid back as well, and discharge statement (or whatever it is) is final.
    Such fabulous news; awesome!

momof5boys
    Trading Score
    509 (100%)

[QUOTE=sweet sparrow;6602965]Mortgage. Is. Done. Phew!

It really felt like it was the longest process ever. Originally, it was meant to be a three year term, then renewed over to another final three year term. Of course, life gets in the way and we had to replace our car (expected), then maternity leave (expected, but we didn't know how it would be financially), then daycare (the move to three different daycares and how different expenses would be among them definitely not expected!)

I feel like collapsing on my floor. In my house. On my tiles. Staring at my ceiling. Just wow.....

HBP is all paid back as well, and discharge statement (or whatever it is) is final. [/QUOTE

Congrats on this great news. Know the feeling We were mortgage free....then took out a bit of a line of credit when we moved...now debt free again!!!

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Crochetlady View Post
    After 3 long years I finally made my last cc payment. I feel like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders. Definitely frees up the money for a cleaner and some other things I`ve been putting off.
    On the subject of cleaners...I called someone, just waiting to hear back. She charges $20 an hour but thought I`d better snap her up. Someone in the village had her cleaner go from $20 to $25 a couple weeks ago.

So happy for you, a lot less stress on your shoulders
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sweet sparrow View Post
    Mortgage. Is. Done. Phew!

HBP is all paid back as well, and discharge statement (or whatever it is) is final.
    CONGRATULATIONS ON HAVING THE HOUSE PAID FOR!!!!

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

A good day here. I got to go to get my hair cut and coloured at the local styling school They checked and I hadn't been there since Nov. 20th! No wonder I looked so unkempt! I have a wedding to perform at the end of the month and I always try to get my hair coloured at least 2 weeks before an important date so the colour has a little time to "settle down. "

Then I got in an hour at Value Village as it was 75% off pants. I need new clothes which fit me . I got 9 pairs of various styles for just over $20. I am pumped!

Two friends are coming from Waterloo and Collingwood this Friday to "scoop me up" and take me to lunch and are bringing dinner. They will stay over.

This is "no chemo " week for dh which means a trip to London for a conversation with the oncologist. Maybe some more tweaking to do as he has had some new symptoms.

The reason I was able to get out today was that he was feeling pretty good.
    Natalka, Crochetlady, Ciel and 4 others like this.

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jasperandchar View Post
    DH & I ventured out to Home Depot for 8am when they opened, I hate shopping and hate crowds so the end result is $287.96 in savings by pming Lowe's flyer well worth the efforts.

I also paid for the large transaction using my pc mastercard so should be around $16 in points....yippee...I was going to defer the payments but figured I would have the funds by mid-April so didn't bother. We ordered a new window for the new master suite, we were going to keep the older window on the 1 side but decided to get it over and done with vs. putting up with a crank window that is tempermental. We ordered double hung which most of the house has and we love them. My mom called me on Thursday and said she is giving us $500 to put towards the renovations which is a very kind gesture and greatly appreciated.
    @jasperandchar : Congratulations on the new windows! Did you get an additional 10% discount off the competitor price?

Quote Originally Posted by SassyAshley View Post
    All of the drawers are built so I now officially have 2 dressers yippee
    @SassyAshley : So glad to hear you have your dressers put together! I know you've been waiting for a long time!

Quote Originally Posted by avoncallingu View Post
    Oh, CONGRATULATIONS! Sweek Sparrow what a wonderful feeling! The "mortgage payment " each month now goes in YOUR pocket! YAHOO!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    Congratulations @Crochetlady and @Sweetsparrow -you have moved on from debt. HURRAH! Pampering now imminent.
    Thank you everyone for all the nice comments! Now we have to save up for that new (to us) car as DH puts over 60,000 km in mileage per year. The car is over 200,000 km now, so it comes up faster than we think. There may also be a second car in our future as DH won't be able to drop LO at school, leaving at 7 AM. Insurance will cost a few thousand as well. Booooo!

The other option is moving closer to his job, but after finishing this mortgage (and all the maintenance renovations), I really, really, really don't want another one.

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Yesterday, after picking LO up from daycare, I noticed her mittens were soaking wet. DH forgot to bring her bag of extra clothes so I gave her my mittens for the way home. She was in the stroller and the daycare director (also in charge of her room) said, "She doesn't need mittens, it's warm outside." It takes us at least a half hour to get home, the temperature was -10C, and the wind was 26 km/hr. I checked the weather network because I felt really cold! Even though we took the bus, it took over 15 minutes to arrive.

Rattling the stroller over the ice down our street, my ears were starting to hurt from the wind and my hands cracked and bled. Warm outside, my foot! Sometimes, I wonder what else goes on in there that I don't know about!

In my efforts to be frugal, I've really fought hard not to get the second car. Sadly, I know the day is coming. I've found that the only other child in the entire daycare who doesn't get a ride home is one that lives right beside the building. Sometimes, I feel like I get the strangest looks in trying to save money when no one else is.

Today, when I asked DH not to waste water, he told me to stop trying to save $0.05. It's a bit disheartening feeling like I'm the only one in the household trying to save. Well, at least I know you ladies all are.

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Sweet Sparrow, it is always hardest to control others.

I know it is a battle in my house. My Mom lately has said she feels like I lecture her and tell her instead of ask, which I admit I might do at times. Issue being as the more the frugal one I find others do not always think about the little things. Yes it might only be $0.05 here but do that every day and it is $1.50 per month. I know to some they say so what it is a $1.50 but that is probably just one of who knows how many small things which really add up.

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

SweetSparrow: having no mortgage is so liberating. We havebeen free for the past 4 years and it has allowed us to do some renovations andcatch up the RESPs.
    We are doing well with the 1 car lifestyle so it is helpingus to save faster for a car replacement. It has taken ages but DH is totally onboard and there is no issue with saving 5 cents now, because he appreciates that it results in something elselater. Like his brand new car he will buy this year. It will be his 1stnew car ever so yup we are all saving 5 cents whenever we can.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

@avoncallingu sounds like a very delightful day, glad you got out and your dh was feeling well enough to stay alone for a short while
    @Sweets parrow maybe it's just this thread BUT .5 cents is 5 cents and I can certainly understand how it makes you feel, my dh is a social butterfly and I am the opposite he is always looking for celebrations to take part in....example on the 16th there is a bday supper at a restaurant which I told him I was not attending as we don't have the $ but he and the kids are going....never ending battle, we win some and lose some

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Wishing all a great afternoon,

Supper tonight is hamburgers and sausage on the bbq, there will be leftovers which is great for a few lunches and snacks for the hollow legged teenager.

Taking it easy today as Sunday was a long day with lots of driving, etc. and yesterday was a visit day with my mom, nice to have her all to myself (haha).

Wishing everyone a great day

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

I went for a walk around Walmart on my lunch. Spent $15.10 total (used $5 in coupons!! the most in a long time.
    7 x Rubbermaid litterless lunchkits $1 (Reg $7.97 each!!)
    Orville chips $2.47 (less $1- treat for teen)
    case of orange pop-$3.49 (pm sdm then used $2 coupon) Hiding for summer when kids have friends over.
    Dove Men's 2 in 1 shampoo $3.83 (less $2 coupon) for my picky teen-he loves this
    fancy drinking cup/can $1 (reg $5)

Happy with my little haul!
    Last edited by Frugalbigmama; Tue, Apr 5th, 2016 at 02:56 PM.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

HST credit day meant getting the long awaited haircut (so delighted to see most of the long hair cut off-it was a hoot for me and I tipped the stylist well given the layering work involved), buying the two key rings with LED lights (donations to Leukemia Research at the beer store), ordering a new pair of gardening gloves AND setting aside bank fee funds to cover April to June. No more debit card use unless there is extra cash.

I had been in Talize on Friday when the daily special was for outerwear but did not find a spring coat for me. Does anyone know if Value Village might be having an outerwear special this week? I did not need the pants special but saw @avoncallingu 's good buys post!
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

@Ciel glad you treated yourself to a haircut (must feel great), gloves etc, great job

I looked at the flyers online not much in the next batch which is great just the staples.

I'm really hoping lean ground beef goes on sale soon, I know FB has it on sale this week but dh is not working anywhere near one and I don't believe WM carries 2lbs tubes.

Wishing everyone a great evening, does anyone else watch Jill & Jessa counting on (formerly 19 kids and counting).

Page 6 of 30 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast

Thread Information