• 2 Post By lizzie bargain
  • 1 Post By scrapbookingoasis
  • 1 Post By Colsgirl
  • 1 Post By Frugalbigmama
  • 1 Post By lizzie bargain

Thread: Cst resp

Trading Score
    124 (100%)

I was contacted by a rep who wanted to come to my home to speak to my hubby and I about CST RESP. Has anyone purchased this type of RESP before?
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Last edited by Purdee; Mon, Apr 11th, 2016 at 11:48 AM.

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

We have the CST. It has faired well, but if I could do it again I would not choose a scholarship trust fund as this is. We did this almost 16 yrs ago & did not do enough investigation before hand & I knew someone that was selling for them & never looked further.
    Gail Vaz Ozlade has a book about RESPs and I am sure others can share ideas.
    scrapbookingoasis and Purdee like this.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

We didn't use the advertised group funds either. I found The RESP Book by Mike Holman really helpful. I borrowed it from the library.

https://www.amazon.ca/RESP-Book-Regi...ds=mike+holman

Here's Gail's book:
    https://www.amazon.ca/Saving-School-...az-oxlade+resp
    ROMEO and Purdee like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

We have used CST for all 3 of our young children. It gets cheaper for each additional child.
    walkonby likes this.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Trading Score
    124 (100%)

Holman book is specifically for canadians which i like. Is Gail's book also for canadians?
    I recently got a library card for my daughter so i'll check out the book by Holman.
    Thanks Sweet Sparrow

Quote Originally Posted by sweet sparrow View Post
    We didn't use the advertised group funds either. I found The RESP Book by Mike Holman really helpful. I borrowed it from the library.

https://www.amazon.ca/RESP-Book-Regi...ds=mike+holman

Here's Gail's book:
    https://www.amazon.ca/Saving-School-...az-oxlade+resp

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    121 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Purdee View Post
    Holman book is specifically for canadians which i like. Is Gail's book also for canadians?
    I recently got a library card for my daughter so i'll check out the book by Holman.
    Thanks Sweet Sparrow
    Gail's book will be for Canadians.
    Purdee likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I read the title of this thread as CAT resp
    ROMEO and Purdee like this.
    Join the Ajax Coupon Group: https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/119179048289492/

Use Instacart for free credit towards your order! Earn cash in a flexible part time job! Referral code KRISTAJ961A3 https://shoppers.instacart.com/?refe...upply_referral

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    8 (100%)

We use CST, not sure if I would again. The first year the charges seemed pretty high... I upset the representative when I told him that after looking at or first annual statement I would have been better keeping the money in a box under my bed. The longer you have the RESP, you get a lot of the charges refunded. Anyway of saving, especially for your kids futures is a good thing, I just think there are better ways of doing it!
    ROMEO, Purdee and Durham Couponer like this.
    Built Bars 15% off sitewide, free shipping when you spend $25. User the code LOUISE2020 to get another 10%

PC Insiders please use my code LR1507 you get $25 and I get $10 in points

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Most RESP , RRSP and TFSA can be done on your own. The gov. and financial institutions just throw in big words to make it sound complicated and complex.

Lot of these institutions have hidden costs like administrative fees and management fees and penalties and commissions , which eat into your growth. They don't really advertise these charges and bury them in some fine print, so upfront it doesn't look like there are any charges or commissions.

Also switching/transferring to someone else or closing them is often a nightmare. You get the run around from them
    ROMEO likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I have not used the CST-but my friend did and they lost money when their son did not attend university shortly after high school but later on. I have just done my own at the bank-my best advice is if/when you do have more than one child make sure you have a family RESP rather than an individual so if one child does not use thier funds for any reason, your other child can.
    ROMEO and Durham Couponer like this.

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

we have one - signed up almost 12 years ago....was told if she didn't use it the other kids (we didn't have others yet but planned on more) could but looking at it, it's a group plan but I can't add kids to it.....confusing to me, I think I can only add after she decides whether or not to use it - for the other kids we did one with our financial guy which I think is better than the cst one (but we need to leave the cst alone since we would lose too much money of ours if we switched it). I just signed into our cst and what's showing as a balance is way less than our monthly fee over 10years - I'm guessing related to their 'fees' which supposedly you get back later. I think they prey on sleep deprived mothers quite honestly.....

I don't know how true it is but I have heard it's harder to get your money out as certain programs they won't give you the money or all of it....like if you do a shorter time frame program
    ROMEO likes this.
    Collecting Campbell's soup labels for our school RAKs greatly appreciated.
    Using WagJag for great deals!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    8 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lizzie bargain View Post
    I have not used the CST-but my friend did and they lost money when their son did not attend university shortly after high school but later on. I have just done my own at the bank-my best advice is if/when you do have more than one child make sure you have a family RESP rather than an individual so if one child does not use thier funds for any reason, your other child can.
    You do have money taken if the children don't use it, you lose the bit that the government put in. But you don't lose the interest you have got over the years on the bit the government put in. Also if your older child doesn't use the money then it can be transferred without penalty to younger siblings. It is only if you shut the account and take the money out (without it being used for a child's education) that the money the government deposited is given back to them.
    ROMEO likes this.
    Built Bars 15% off sitewide, free shipping when you spend $25. User the code LOUISE2020 to get another 10%

PC Insiders please use my code LR1507 you get $25 and I get $10 in points

Trading Score
    124 (100%)

maybe a TFSA is better than RESP? I hope that my baby will attend university but who knows and i don't want to pay these "hidden" fees.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Purdee View Post
    maybe a TFSA is better than RESP? I hope that my baby will attend university but who knows and i don't want to pay these "hidden" fees.
    But you don't get the government grants if it's not a RESP. I did small RESP and then TFSA etc.
    Purdee likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Many banks have no or low fees for RESP's and you can decide whether to invest in low risk GIC's or higher risk mutual funds etc. As FBM says it is hard to turn down the 20% gov't grant on RESP's.
    Purdee likes this.

Thread Information