• 2 Post By Ciel
  • 2 Post By GoJays
  • 1 Post By coupongirl99
  • 4 Post By coupongirl99
  • 4 Post By tvwatcher

Thread: Selected Varieties

Trading Score
    15 (100%)

There's been numerous times that I've gone to the store to buy something that was advertised as being on sale, only to have the normal price come up at the cash register. When I would tell the cashier that the item was on sale, she would look at the ad then point to where it says "selected varieties" and tell me that the variety I picked out wasn't one of the varieties on sale.

Yesterday it happened again - some soup was advertised on sale for $2.00 a can. It rang up at the normal price, and I had the same encounter with the cashier, and then head cashier. But here's the kicker - I KNEW the company only made 6 varieties of this soup, and there were 6 varieties on the shelf. So I told them that, and said if it was "selected varieties", then it had to be at least 2 of the varieties on the shelf. The reply? "Well there's another variety or they would have sent us the sale sticker for the shelf"

I think they are using this "selected varieties" excuse to avoid the SCOP.

AND I think there needs to be a law for these stores that says if "selected varieties" are on sale, then the ad needs to specify exactly which varieties.

Anyway, I emailed the store's head office when I got home and am awaiting a reply.

I told the head cashier I was going to do that, because this was just wrong. She told me to "go right ahead".
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    57 (100%)

Sorry, I'm confused.. was the shelf price stickers showing all regular price? Were any of the varieties showing sale price?

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I hate "selected varieties." I think if something is put on sale it should be all varieties, provided they're the same price/size/etc, none of this 'not that one' but this one bs.
    tvwatcher, Ciel, Poirot and 4 others like this.

Trading Score
    15 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by coupongirl99 View Post
    Sorry, I'm confused.. was the shelf price stickers showing all regular price? Were any of the varieties showing sale price?
    no, none of the varieties showed the sale price

according to the head cashier there were some top secret varieties that even Campbell's doesn't know about that were on sale, and they didn't happen to carry those ones

Trading Score
    15 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by GoJays View Post
    I hate "selected varieties." I think if something is put on sale it should be all varieties, provided they're the same price/size/etc, none of this 'not that one' but this one bs.
    exactly! and what's worse, is when you ask WHAT variety is on sale, they say they don't know, they just know it isn't THAT one

I just wrote an email to the Retail Council of Canada complaining about this - either ALL varieties need to be on sale, or the ad needs to list the ones that are. I don't want to make a special trip to the store only to be told sorry, THAT variety isn't on sale, and we don't carry the one that is. Even though the company only makes 2 varieties, and all 2 varieties are on the store shelf.

now I'm getting upset all over again LOL

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

^Please let us know the outcome. I feel for you.
    tvwatcher, Ciel, GoJays and 1 others like this.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by tvwatcher View Post
    exactly! and what's worse, is when you ask WHAT variety is on sale, they say they don't know, they just know it isn't THAT one

I just wrote an email to the Retail Council of Canada complaining about this - either ALL varieties need to be on sale, or the ad needs to list the ones that are. I don't want to make a special trip to the store only to be told sorry, THAT variety isn't on sale, and we don't carry the one that is. Even though the company only makes 2 varieties, and all 2 varieties are on the store shelf.

now I'm getting upset all over again LOL
    oh for heavens sake! How silly of them to play that game, I hope you get some answer about this from a qualified source. I loved when you said there must me some " top secret variety " of soup that even Campbell's knows nothing about.....
    tvwatcher, Ciel, GoJays and 3 others like this.

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

There's been numerous times that I've gone to the store to buy something that was advertised as being on sale, only to have the normal price come up at the cash register. When I would tell the cashier that the item was on sale, she would look at the ad then point to where it says "selected varieties" and tell me that the variety I picked out wasn't one of the varieties on sale.

Yesterday it happened again - some soup was advertised on sale for $2.00 a can. It rang up at the normal price, and I had the same encounter with the cashier, and then head cashier. But here's the kicker - I KNEW the company only made 6 varieties of this soup, and there were 6 varieties on the shelf. So I told them that, and said if it was "selected varieties", then it had to be at least 2 of the varieties on the shelf. The reply? "Well there's another variety or they would have sent us the sale sticker for the shelf"

I think they are using this "selected varieties" excuse to avoid the SCOP.

AND I think there needs to be a law for these stores that says if "selected varieties" are on sale, then the ad needs to specify exactly which varieties.

Anyway, I emailed the store's head office when I got home and am awaiting a reply.

I told the head cashier I was going to do that, because this was just wrong. She told me to "go right ahead".
    The head cashier did not show much sympathy, or professional customer service
    Head office should call the store and tell them what varieties they should sell. The head cashier can alter the price. Some cashiers have the same power -- to alter the price.
    Head office and head cashier should give you a rain check. A 30 day rain check, not the 2 week one.
    tvwatcher, Ciel, walkonby and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

When I see the phrase "selected varieties" in flyers, I know it's a 50-50 chance that my preferred variety is on sale. But most times, it is not. So OP, I feel for you having wasted a trip and having to play this charade in order to get the sale items from the flyer. 0/6 varieties are at regular price, so the wording is something the Competition Bureau needs to find out about.
    coupongirl99 and toronto166 like this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

And, try price matching "selected varieties".... Pfft, good luck.
    coupongirl99 and toronto166 like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    57 (100%)

no, none of the varieties showed the sale price

according to the head cashier there were some top secret varieties that even Campbell's doesn't know about that were on sale, and they didn't happen to carry those ones
    Okay yeah, that's just wrong. I've come across selected varieties before but never with NO varieties actually on sale. That store should get in deep dodo IMO.
    toronto166 likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    57 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by GoJays View Post
    And, try price matching "selected varieties".... Pfft, good luck.
    Oh I've done this. Your best bet is to only try to price match the items actually shown in the ad.
    GoJays, ishyx0x, SavvyLady and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    15 (100%)

I heard back from Zehrs customer service - she didn't seem happy with the way it was handled - she's sending me a gift card for my inconvenience

I see in the new flyer that starts tomorrow the Healthy Request is advertised again, this time for $1.99 PLUS 500 pts. We'll see what happens. LOL

Thread Information