User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree147Likes

Thread: FYI - RCSS changing price match policy

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I have to chime in here too as I tend to agree with @samm07 . I too PM almost my entire order (most of it produce and meat) at WM weekly and I'm very organized. My WM allows Ontario wide PM (i'm in oshawa) so I go through Flyerify and I take screenshots of all the items I find low prices for. I then go through the store and as I'm getting things, that screenshot goes into a Price Match folder so that I can lay things out on the belt in the order that I have the screenshots and I'm not searching through irrelevant screenshots - I can simply swipe and display at checkout. I also ask my cashiers how they like to handle coupons to make the process move along more efficiently.

I've been on the giving and receiving end of long waits from people price matching but I'm always letting the people behind me in line know what I'm doing and I give them the option to go to another cashier. I work full time so my only shopping times are weeknights or weekends. I try and go early in the morning on a weekend or around dinner time on Fridays to avoid the huge rush and it seems to work well. I've only had one confrontation and that was when I lived in Scarborough 3 years ago.

With regards to the local pricing, lets face it ... RCSS and Walmart aren't hurting from the relatively small percentage of people that actually price match. Don't believe me, look up Walmart or Galen Weston's financials. I shop at Walmart b/c as a consumer, they offer the most value add to me with the ability to PM all the asian supermarkets and mom and pop stores in the GTA and in Ontario. I save enough each year for DH and I to take a vacation and this year I was able to get lasik with the money I saved last year.

I get that some stores want to limit their PM radius or the stores that they allow you PM, well guess what - I stopped shopping at No Frills and Freshco over a year ago as they changed their PM policy. I'll go to the WM 2 minutes farther down the road and shop there - I can PM Ontario wide and I don't get nearly as much hassle.

I'm with @samm07 on this one and if you don't want to risk being behind someone that is PM - go spend your hard earned pennies somewhere else. I prefer to keep mine in my pocket so you can find me at Walmart or RCSS. I'll have my pink coupon binder with me Come say Hi.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

@missmaggs and @samm07 -- you both took offense where none was intended.

And granted you may be exceptions to the rule... but I've seen people who price match who arent as organized nor as considerate as either of you. They have little to no interest to the process nor the people behind them in line. And again, as I prefaced the posting as playing "devil's advocate"

Quote Originally Posted by missmaggs View Post
    With regards to the local pricing, lets face it ... RCSS and Walmart aren't hurting from the relatively small percentage of people that actually price match. Don't believe me, look up Walmart or Galen Weston's financials.
    You're absolutely right... Galen Weston isn't hurting any as a result of price-matching. But his wealth is determined on a national level. Since this is regards to "local price matching" let's look, instead, at the local RCSS's local manager's financials.

A local store manager's bonuses (and their staff's) are directly affected by the amount each specific store makes in profit... not what RCSS or Galen Weston makes nationally and/or annually, but purely on that single store's performance. So, let's say corporate dictates a "national" policy that the manager MUST price match nationally printed ads (as opposed to only local ones). Then that price match comes out of his/her local store's bottom-line (and hence their bonuses, and thus their own pockets) when it's matched with a store that isn't even one of his/her actual competitors. Is that fair to the manager and HIS/HER's pocketbook? Not at all. -- I can almost assure you that the new price-matching policy changes were driven more by the local managers to corporate than they are from corporate themselves. Corporate most likely outlined the details of this policy change to be more fair to their local store managers and their staff while also keeping it fairly competitive for the consumers.

As I said earlier, they could have eliminated price matching all together

Quote Originally Posted by missmaggs View Post
    I shop at Walmart b/c as a consumer, they offer the most value add to me with the ability to PM all the asian supermarkets and mom and pop stores in the GTA and in Ontario. I save enough each year for DH and I to take a vacation and this year I was able to get lasik with the money I saved last year.

I get that some stores want to limit their PM radius or the stores that they allow you PM, well guess what - I stopped shopping at No Frills and Freshco over a year ago as they changed their PM policy. I'll go to the WM 2 minutes farther down the road and shop there - I can PM Ontario wide and I don't get nearly as much hassle.
    Exactly my point in my previous post. We all choose where we shop, for whatever reasons and if those reasons change, then we can change.

And as you stated, this choice isnt hurting Galen Weston in the least...
    Last edited by bhlombardy; Sun, Apr 10th, 2016 at 02:41 PM.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    98 (100%)

I took no offence I just disagree completely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    toronto166 likes this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

One of the coupon blogs is posting a plea for people to write letters to Superstore and Loblaws after they heard that Superstore will be changing their policy as follows.
    You can use only one coupon per item. So you can have as many coupons as you want but only one coupon per item. Then they said that they will limit their price matching to only certain stores. I just started shopping there because of the points program if this is true I will only buy points items and do the rest of my shopping at Walmart... Has anyone else heard this "The Sky is Falling" News. Thanks hoping for confirmation.
    Ciel, LunchLady and toronto166 like this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    34 (100%)

My Superstore in St Catharines is already doing it. Last week I was only allowed 1 coupon per item. The cashier said that is their new policy so I went to customer service and they confirmed it. Bummer !!!!
    Ciel, LunchLady and toronto166 like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    459 (100%)

Wasn't it always one coupon per item as we aren't able to stack? Confused?!

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
    Ciel, marste, Anna Michele and 2 others like this.
    Want to keep fit while earning incentives like Scene Points? Join Carrot Rewards using my personal code: rosaw3424

Easy Free Online Rewards--Paypal, Amazon, Etc.

http://swagbucks.com/refer/BlingPink

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by samm07 View Post
    I took no offence I just disagree completely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I also didn't take offense and also disagree.

Head office sets guidelines but the individual stores set their own policies. This is why every single walmart I have been in has a different policy and PM zone and same goes for RCSS.

Ultimately it's up to us shoppers to voice our frustrations with the stores and they will gauge what's best for them. Some may limit PM and some may realize that we shoppers will simply go elsewhere if their policy changes. Stores can run stats on the % of their sales that were price matched so if it's a high % then I guarantee they won't dare change the rules and risk losing those customers.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
    samm07 and toronto166 like this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Like if you have coupons for Maple Leaf Bacon you can only buy one maple leaf bacon and use a coupon with it if you buy anymore maple leaf bacon you can't use coupons with it you have to pay full price.
    Ciel, sweetmomma and toronto166 like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

So really they should say 1 coupon per customer, not per item!
    marste and toronto166 like this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    34 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by SavvyLady View Post
    So really they should say 1 coupon per customer, not per item!
    Oh ya my bad that is what I meant
    sweetmomma and toronto166 like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Really doubt they would do 1 coupon per customer... Coupons are like money to them so why would they want lower sales? Makes zero sense and will stay as a rumor

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I can't price match and there is no coupon board in my entire city. Loblaws is discouraging fraudulent coupons and selling excessive ones. People used to take entire coupon pads and then try to use all of them when the item went on sale which left nothing for everyone else.
    sweetmomma and toronto166 like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by sirandrewr View Post
    I can't price match and there is no coupon board in my entire city. Loblaws is discouraging fraudulent coupons and selling excessive ones. People used to take entire coupon pads and then try to use all of them when the item went on sale which left nothing for everyone else.
    The better coupons are on smartsource.ca I haven't seen any great coupons on the lowblaw's boards for quite some time
    sweetmomma, web3 and toronto166 like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    459 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sammi123b View Post
    Oh ya my bad that is what I meant
    Makes sense now!;(

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
    toronto166 likes this.
    Want to keep fit while earning incentives like Scene Points? Join Carrot Rewards using my personal code: rosaw3424

Easy Free Online Rewards--Paypal, Amazon, Etc.

http://swagbucks.com/refer/BlingPink

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

It's true it's happening in London

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information