User Tag List

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Natalka
  • 1 Post By nicolthepickle
  • 1 Post By veggies

Thread: Wifi cuts out when microwave is in use...

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Does anyone know why my wifi would cut out when my microwave is in use? I've had this microwave for 3 years now, never noticed this before. The microwave is on my main floor. My home office is on the second floor. Far enough away I'd say. I have heard of "leakage" being an issue but how can I be sure that my microwave is in fact leaking radiation? I have heard about the "cell phone test" but is that really accurate? My wifi also goes out whenever someone picks up our cordless phone. If the phone rings, the wifi is fine, but as soon as someone answers the phone the wifi goes out for a minute and then goes back to normal. However, with the microwave, the wifi goes off until the microwave turns off.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

No, you don't need to worry about radiation - it's a frequency issue.
    I don't know the science, but I found info on it - you need to move the router or change the channel

https://www.reddit.com/r/explainlike...rking_when_my/
    http://io9.gizmodo.com/why-does-your...nec-1666117933

You can google for more info - or call your service provider for help.
    GoJays and greeny like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Mine does exactly the same thing. I just noticed it the other day.
    greeny likes this.
    It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that makes happiness.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Natalka View Post
    No, you don't need to worry about radiation - it's a frequency issue.
    I don't know the science, but I found info on it - you need to move the router or change the channel

https://www.reddit.com/r/explainlike...rking_when_my/
    http://io9.gizmodo.com/why-does-your...nec-1666117933

You can google for more info - or call your service provider for help.

Thanks for the links. I did google before posting here but there is so much misinformation out there. One website says one thing, and another website says the complete opposite lol. It's like what info do you trust? I was hoping to get info from people with real experience with this. I mean some websites are saying to get rid of my microwave, while other websites are saying there is nothing to worry about. Ugghhh.

Banned
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by greeny View Post
    Thanks for the links. I did google before posting here but there is so much misinformation out there. One website says one thing, and another website says the complete opposite lol. It's like what info do you trust? I was hoping to get info from people with real experience with this. I mean some websites are saying to get rid of my microwave, while other websites are saying there is nothing to worry about. Ugghhh.
    Hello there,

Your issue is a very common, and the average user is not aware of the back end science stuff. It's like people that use Facebook, and just think Zuckerberg is being Santa Clause by doing all the work for them, when in fact all your personal info and that or your friends and family, is being sold to third party and making him richer.

I digress.....Modern microwave overns operate at the frequency 2,450 MHz. You need to log into the control page of your router, and change the frequency to another one from the drop down menu. For example, if you have a linksys, you will go to linksys.com and enter your username and password. Hopefully you didn't leave it as the default 'admin'.
    greeny likes this.

Thread Information