Trading Score
    4 (100%)

it's going to be interesting.
    i just hope everything goes peacefully.
    Natalka likes this.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

They are cracking down on GIFs -

The Olympics is a GIF gold mine, thanks to athletes' superhuman feats of strength, agility and speed, all the crazy fans and the hilarious moments in between. This year, though, the International Olympic Committee will make it harder to find them: it has prohibited the press from releasing animated GIFs and even short videos like Vines.

https://www.rt.com/viral/354693-olym...ban-reactions/

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

There is a track - they call it the blue oval

https://www.rio2016.com/en/news/rhap...lympic-stadium
    lecale likes this.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Russia will have 271 athletes eligible to compete at the Rio Games, says the International Olympic Committee (IOC).

This is more than two-thirds of their original entry list of 389 athletes, despite the World Anti-Doping Agency (Wada) recommending a blanket ban after a state-sponsored doping scandal.
    Russia's Olympic Committee president Alexander Zhukov said his country will have "the cleanest team" at the Games.

"The Russian team may have experienced the toughest checks of the Olympics, because they had to go through multiple tests and checked," said Zhukov.
    "On top of all that, Russian athletes are going through additional testing which is taking place at the Olympic Village.
    "So, as of now, the Russian team is probably the cleanest in Rio."

http://www.bbc.com/sport/olympics/36970627

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Torch begins final race to stadium from beneath Rio's Christ

RIO DE JANEIRO (Reuters) - The Olympic torch was raised before Rio de Janeiro's iconic Christ the Redeemer statue on Friday on the final leg of its journey to the opening ceremony of the Olympics, as Brazil excitedly put the final touches to seven years of preparations.

Former Brazilian women's volleyball player, Maria Isabel Barroso Salgado, lifted the flame beneath the outstretched arms of the giant statue of Christ that overlooks Rio's Guanabara bay.

"May this be the moment for us to overcome difficult times and to work as a team, to make our country and our world fairer and safer, full of hope and joy," said Rio's Archbishop Orani Joao Tempesta, flanked by Rio Mayor Eduardo Paes.

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/par...3333--oly.html
    lecale likes this.

Learning as I go
    Trading Score
    11 (100%)

As a Brazilian it really saddens me to know that the Olympic events (opening ceremony) will be plain, and not more elaborate.
    Even through all the political turmoil, the Brazilian people are full of life, joy, color.
    This would have been a great opportunity to make Brazil, it's life and its culture shine, but instead(just like the World Cup) they have spent a ridiculous amount of money and still done something subpar.
    Natalka and lecale like this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Brasileira View Post
    As a Brazilian it really saddens me to know that the Olympic events (opening ceremony) will be plain, and not more elaborate.
    Even through all the political turmoil, the Brazilian people are full of life, joy, color.
    This would have been a great opportunity to make Brazil, it's life and its culture shine, but instead(just like the World Cup) they have spent a ridiculous amount of money and still done something subpar.
    You know, maybe like so many other things in the world, people and countries trying to out-do each other, a more humble, honest ceremony might just be what's needed these days. We seem to expect each successive ceremony to out-perform anything that's been done before, and are 'disappointed' when fireworks aren't shooting out of people's butts.
    Personally, I'm looking forward to what's been described as an all-inclusive ceremony celebrating the many cultures that have contributed to Brazil over the years, audience participation. Maybe that's what the Olympics were always meant to be.

{{{stepping elegantly off her soap-box}}}...jmho. I hope it does go off without a hitch, too...

Unfortunately, behind the scenes in Brazil, particularly in Rio, violence and death have once again raised their ugly heads. Before the Fifa world cup in 2014 and now, police and military have once again exhibited a "shoot first and ask questions later" policy. I even doubt many questions have been either asked or answered by the police.

https://www.amnesty.ca/blog/rio-2016...ics-have-begun

With just over a month to go until the Rio 2016 opening ceremony, the pre-Olympic legacy includes more than 2,500 people killed by the police in the city since 2009, when Rio de Janeiro won its bid to host the Games. Over the past few weeks, the sense of defeat has grown before the Games even get under way, with daily shootings and police operations leaving a trail of blood in several of Rio’s favelas.

http://www.amnesty.ca/news/brazil-‘cross-fire’-new-app-document-gun-violence-rio-ahead-olympics

I'm guessing this issue won't be raised during the ceremonies this evening. As a matter of fact, it's been largely glossed-over in any news programs I've watched, if mentioned at all. Usually a one-liner for those killed.
    Last edited by Lynn49; Fri, Aug 5th, 2016 at 11:41 AM.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I'm looking forward to the judo events. Rooting for Sagi Muki to win in his events
    Natalka likes this.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member-...stRecentReview
    My amazon reviews, check them out sometime!

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Gee, so much for the Olympics not being political.... (climate change stuff)

LOVE the trikes that usher each country in.

(Am I the only one who keeps reading the name of the stadium as "Macarena"??? - then I get an earworm and do the dance in my head...)
    JadeAngel likes this.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Canada coming in looks great - they are all SO happy!
    I wish they had the men and women wear different outfits - it looks just like a plain sea of red when they are all the same.

Absolutely love the countries which wear their national garb, so beautiful!

OO, the Cook Island women - beautiful green dresses and fabulous wreaths on their heads!
    Last edited by Natalka; Fri, Aug 5th, 2016 at 08:25 PM.
    JadeAngel likes this.

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Natalka View Post

(Am I the only one who keeps reading the name of the stadium as "Macarena"??? - then I get an earworm and do the dance in my head...)
    NOpe..

Why are those dancers wearing pop=tarts???
    JadeAngel likes this.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

I can't find a live feed and he won't watch on TV. help?

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

The Jamaican flag-bearer's hair is awesome

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

love the Polish women's skirts..

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lecale View Post
    I can't find a live feed and he won't watch on TV. help?
    http://olympics.cbc.ca/
    lecale likes this.

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread Information