User Tag List

Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast
Like Tree723Likes

Thread: [Rant] Ontario Hydro-you used less energy so you have to pay more. Huh?

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

im not looking forward to our next bill..the A/C has been on ALOT! & dont even ask about our water consumption...friggin grass...
    Ciel likes this.

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

We have everything off, heaters are off, have not installed the AC, neither of us are ever home to use Hydro yet our bill is still ridiculously high. Average about $70 higher then last year and I know we used more Hydro last year as we were home more.
    Ciel and seylz_gurl like this.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Linda Evans View Post
    im not looking forward to our next bill..the A/C has been on ALOT! & dont even ask about our water consumption...friggin grass...
    Same, plus our bill will be 10 weeks rather than 8 because of our move in date
    Ciel likes this.
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

So today we got a 4 page letter from Hydro. They called it the Home Energy Report. They took 4 pages to tell us we are using less hydro. Then they said they would be sending more reports if we didn't opt out. It took 15 minutes by phone to opt out.

Hydro wasted employee time to create a report to tell us we are using less hydro.
    Plus the 4 page report.
    Plus the cost of postage

Wow. They sure know how to waste our money!
    Ciel, seylz_gurl and walkonby like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

we've been using fans to avoid high AC bills but its going to be record high the next couple of days in ON.
    Ciel, Shwa Girl and Davetherave like this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by seylz_gurl View Post
    we've been using fans to avoid high AC bills but its going to be record high the next couple of days in ON.
    we have been staying out later in the evening browsing in air conditioned malls or going to the library
    can use the library's computer and save on internet costs at home
    librarian knows us by name now lol
    Ciel, seylz_gurl and Davetherave like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

^good suggestion. Is internet use free at the library?
    Ciel, Shwa Girl and Davetherave like this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

yes, free internet
    some librarie sgive you 1 hour per day
    if it is not busy, they will give you an extra hour

we went today to beat the heat, took our own laptop and connected to their internet
    there were two children being tutored: one in french and one in high school subjects

and outside some guys with their phones, playing Pokémon Go, lol.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I read an article on how expensive Ontario hydro is.....I urge everyone to apply for the low income rebate...it really helps.

I also go to the library during heatwaves....free internet, newspapers, recent release dvd's....and a mostly quiet atmosphere, comfortable chairs.

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

My meter was seemingly not working for the first 2.5 weeks of this bill so they guestimated it based on the rest of the bill. Only while we had the new apartment, we had not moved in so apart from some music when I was over here painting, we used no real hydro for 2 of those weeks UGH

Strange that it worked fine for the 3 days (all $0.11 in hydro) included in my last bill, suddenly stopped working and started again on the 1st
    Ciel and dededi like this.
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by barbis9 View Post
    I read an article on how expensive Ontario hydro is.....I urge everyone to apply for the low income rebate...it really helps.

I also go to the library during heatwaves....free internet, newspapers, recent release dvd's....and a mostly quiet atmosphere, comfortable chairs.

One good thing about this weather is laundry. You don't need to use a dryer. Just hanging up the clothes dries them. And fast, because of the heat
    barbis9, Ciel, seylz_gurl and 1 others like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...p-in-borrowing

Expect more of the same bills, they need money to finance the debt. Ontario’s population is only one third of the state of California’s, but its debt load is more than double that of the biggest U.S. state.
    Ciel and dededi like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

With a Hamilton Public Library card, you can get up to 3h of timed use free per day on the sign in computers and 2 free b&w single sided copies in case you need something printed off (use IE for this because Print Preview is accessible; Firefox does have a menu bar). There is usually one computer per branch that is the visitors/30min use one that does not require a card to use. You can also ask the library staff for a slip to log into a computer. If you have your own cellphone or tablet or laptop, there is free wi-fi access-have to look for the signs telling you how to connect to the network.

All computers shut down 15 minutes prior to closing time.

Many library systems may also be part of a regional interlibrary program where if you don't want to pay for a non-resident library card, you can register your home library card for limited access (small number of book loans, say two holds and computer access). Then the card can be used on their Internet computers for access! Hamilton has reciprocal borrowing programs with the following library systems: http://www.hpl.ca/articles/specialty-library-cards-0

So my HPL card is good for up to 8 items and two holds plus computer access at the Burlington Public Library (have to register your card with ID/proof of address first at BPL, then you can borrow!).

I'm happy that Mississauga has their library system back! It's been a hot July without library access until last week.
    barbis9, seylz_gurl and dededi like this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...p-in-borrowing

Expect more of the same bills, they need money to finance the debt. Ontario’s population is only one third of the state of California’s, but its debt load is more than double that of the biggest U.S. state.
    Guess the ON taxpayers have to foot the electric charging stations that the province wants installed across the land too.
    seylz_gurl and dededi like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Shwa Girl View Post
    So today we got a 4 page letter from Hydro. They called it the Home Energy Report. They took 4 pages to tell us we are using less hydro. Then they said they would be sending more reports if we didn't opt out. It took 15 minutes by phone to opt out.

Hydro wasted employee time to create a report to tell us we are using less hydro.
    Plus the 4 page report.
    Plus the cost of postage

Wow. They sure know how to waste our money!
    Our household's report showed we are 61% lower in hydro usage than neighbours' usage but:
    I don't have Internet anymore and I'm not downstairs at night much so that helped;
    we have natural gas for heat/stove;
    we don't have timers in use for anything;
    no air conditioner;
    outdoor lights are rarely on unless someone is expected late but that is kind of obsolete now that street lights are
    on our stretch of the street (still cars speed around the sharp corners!)
    laundry loads are mostly done in off-peak except for using washer's spin cycle to spin out handwashing for several seconds for the morning line hanging (sometimes that hot weather dries things quickly but it has not been constantly proven).
    I only plug in the dustbuster vacuum charger in for off-peak charging, usually on Saturday and disconnect the unit once the battery is fully charged.

The biggest issue I can see is that the TV is on for hours in afternoon/evening and if I dare turn the power bar switch to off, folks cannot figure out to put the switch on the next day to watch tv or turn on lamp. So there is power that could be saved overnight but I cannot sway my kin and I don't need their anger either.

Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast

Thread Information