User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree372Likes

Thread: Saving money takes TIME and sacrifice!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    98 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by d.ot View Post
    @samm07 - it seems like you REALLY needed to vent on this one!
    @Nina1 - so true....once you learn to use it, you never go back! I can't imagine paying full price for certain items. If I absolutely need to get something, I will try to find a sale price somewhere and price amtch if the store isn't near me. I don't even want to think about how much I spent in the PC (pre-couponing) days
    I think I really did lmfao!!
    avoncallingu, Ciel, ticul and 3 others like this.

Trading Score
    321 (100%)

I love being able to have the time to save us money by couponing, price matching, SCOP's, points, AM's (etc), rebates and sites like CO51. Sure it takes time but to me it is worth every penny especially when it allows us to do something else with our money if we want to.

It is worth the stares and complaints at check out from other people in line when I pay so little for groceries especially when they pay so much. After all it is our hard earned money. I have offered to help certain people that have asked but they can't be bothered later and I certainly won't shop for you. Their loss not mine.

I don't know how people can pass on the savings that are possible if you just put a little time and effort into it considering our costs keep going up and our wages never go up the same percentage.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever forgotten...Aesop

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

Well said, people!
    Ciel, macw1960, samm07 and 6 others like this.
    Here's to all you great SC'ers
    Join Swagbucks and make $$$
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/avoncallingu

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

good rant samm07! as with most things you get out of it what you put in. i am happy when i have the time to pursue my savings but i don't always have spare time. sometimes out of shear convenience or (gasp) laziness i don't always save as much as i could. well said though! syndi

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    98 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by luvthefree View Post
    good rant samm07! as with most things you get out of it what you put in. i am happy when i have the time to pursue my savings but i don't always have spare time. sometimes out of shear convenience or (gasp) laziness i don't always save as much as i could. well said though! syndi
    Yep I have coupon burn out often. Like you said some times I don't have time.
    Ciel, seylz_gurl, macw1960 and 5 others like this.

University Couponer
    Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Agree, I've had people tell me it's a waste of time and not worth it (my roommate in uni who is for lack of a better word, 'spoiled'), but thankfully, there are lots of people in my life who think it's the best thing for a person my age to be doing. My grandmother, parents, and close friends are always in shock when I tell them, "Oh yeah, I got this free, I got that free, and made money on that", my parents are the most thankful for my couponing since it is how their house stays stocked up with all sorts of goods (most of my time goes into couponing for the house as a whole, and they're really grateful that when I am home from uni, that they can go from over $1,000/month on food, to sometimes as little as $800, maybe less, I don't know the exact numbers. But yeah, for those 'haters' out there who think it is a waste of time to coupon, I'd love to see the looks on their faces when I am in a overstocked household, while they are paying $5 for cleaner that I get free on a regular basis for example.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    98 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by johnb56789 View Post
    Agree, I've had people tell me it's a waste of time and not worth it (my roommate in uni who is for lack of a better word, 'spoiled'), but thankfully, there are lots of people in my life who think it's the best thing for a person my age to be doing. My grandmother, parents, and close friends are always in shock when I tell them, "Oh yeah, I got this free, I got that free, and made money on that", my parents are the most thankful for my couponing since it is how their house stays stocked up with all sorts of goods (most of my time goes into couponing for the house as a whole, and they're really grateful that when I am home from uni, that they can go from over $1,000/month on food, to sometimes as little as $800, maybe less, I don't know the exact numbers. But yeah, for those 'haters' out there who think it is a waste of time to coupon, I'd love to see the looks on their faces when I am in a overstocked household, while they are paying $5 for cleaner that I get free on a regular basis for example.
    My grandparents always appreciate when I drop off goodies. They are pretty comfortable financially but everyone can appreciate free laundry detergent!! And they do so much for us I love paying it forward. My mom coupons on a smaller scale then myself so I don't often drop stuff to her as she doesn't have space to store it! But I just took a bunch of Pepsi and tide to my dads this weekend and they were happy I can't keep them stocked right up. I'm not that good but every so often I drop off goodies, like a goody fairy! Haha!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Nina1 View Post
    Yes, Yes, Yes! Can you tell I agree? There is a real skill involved in learning how to use coupons, price match, scop, accumulate optimum points, PC points etc but once you learn it you use it all the time! I am not wealthy and really dont have to do it but it's my money and I think I'll keep it! My favorite is when people say they can't afford a vacation but they can have a lg dd at timmies every day. That's one coffee. $700.00 a year. And the ones who wouldn't ask for the scop because they would be embarrassed, PLEASE! I promise you that when you are overcharged they don't come running after you to give you your money back! So yes! I like my money and I think I'll keep on going the way I am. Have the BEST day all you SMARTCANUCKERS!!!!!
    YESSS!!!!! Or they go and buy crap all the time (clothing not needed etc) but don't have money to do anything else. I shop smart so we can enjoy life! We enjoy experiences not stuff. So eating well by price matching means more money in savings for retirement and more money for fun!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by d.ot View Post
    @samm07 - it seems like you REALLY needed to vent on this one!
    @Nina1 - so true....once you learn to use it, you never go back! I can't imagine paying full price for certain items. If I absolutely need to get something, I will try to find a sale price somewhere and price amtch if the store isn't near me. I don't even want to think about how much I spent in the PC (pre-couponing) days
    It kills me watching the price others pay at the grocery store. We had a great chat with our fav cashier the other day and she said the same thing. Glad to know she is happy we are price matching and saving money!
    Ciel, macw1960, samm07 and 5 others like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

It has come to a point where I don't even discuss savings/deals with my BFF. She is just not interested. As well she doesn't have a pot to piss in and lives pay cheque to pay cheque. Upgrades new cars based on "baby bonus $" that she receives and still has 5 years left of payment and no baby bonus $ coming in after August this year. Not sure what her plan is then. But I have tried. Even lent her $2000 years ago interest free for a year to buy appliances waiting for payment while she went on trips etc. Never again. I even tried to help another friend that came to me asking for help but she didn't want to give up anything. Not even for a month. I was trying to get her in a position of not paying for the past- Get paid and that money is for the next month- not last month. I just keep saving/shop smart and keep it to myself. At least my man is on board and loves the deals I find us

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

-great rant
    -I hear you I have couponed and done mail in rebates for 30 some odd years a few years after I was married ,no body coached me or told me about savings -mind you I was raised by a thrifty mother and one thing for sure I never tire of it
    -yes the xtra money from rebates ,checkout51, scops,coupons all add up over the year
    -oh and I have tried to tell a few people cant be bothered anymore -they always say "I am too busy" well we only have one income earner in my household now and this all really helps in the bigger picture
    Ciel, macw1960, samm07 and 4 others like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    98 (100%)

Like I got in a mini argument about produce with some people. All complaining groceries are "soooooooo" expensive! And I just disagree. For sure prices have gone up! I don't disagree there. BUT if you just watch what's on frikin sale and buy it, your groceries should budge THAT drastically! It's so frustrating. Then they throw "you can't eat healthy on a budget" yes you flipping can! "Sidekicks are $.99 much cheaper then produce" no! You're comparing apples to oranges! Buy a BAG of pasta for $.88 and make your own side dish? You'd get 2-3 sides from a bag versus one sidekicks! It's THAT kind of stuff that makes me crazy. Yes mr noodles are cheaper then frikin oranges.... They aren't even in the same class of food! But if you buy one mr noodles bag versus a LARGE multi pack of ramen you can make your OWN "mr noodles" for cheaper. Like god it just makes my head spin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    anisa, Ciel, SavvyLady and 3 others like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    98 (100%)

Or "needing" to buy boxed chicken because it's cheaper. Not really. I bought whole chickens at Walmart this week for $5-$6.... And that's 2 meals and lunches for our family of four! Gah sorry apparently this is a HUGE pet peeve of mine.

I've been doing this for about 7 years now so it's so simple in my head it boggles my mind people are so ok paying full price! But to then about it but not want to do anything about it? I don't understand! Lol

I self taught myself. Because j was SICK of spending insane amounts on groceries for my hubby and I!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trading Score
    321 (100%)

Just thought I would share this as I found it on FB.

After paying for my groceries today I was preparing to walk away and I see the cashier rolling her eyes and sucking her teeth as a young lady and young man, (who obviously didn't have a lot of money) were putting up their groceries, I had a really strong feeling that I was suppose to stay close to these youngsters, well I stayed and watched as the cashier slammed through their things, the final total was $123.40.

The young girl looked nervous but scanned her food stamp card and again the cashier rolled her eyes and smirked when it came back that the balance was only $95.30 on their card and she took great pleasure in repeating this, so I stepped up and said,"First of all you need to lower your voice, and second I'm gonna help them out and don't you roll your eyes at me I'm not a young girl,"

She didn't say a word. I took out my coupons and stood there very slowly going through all 3 of my coupon carriers. After finding what I could for these young people I hand them to the cashier then gave her my E-card so they got double the coupons and it really seemed to piss the cashier off. The young lady and young man were so excited because they not only had enough but the $123.40 went down to $68.22. It's been a very long time since I've had young people jumping on me so happy and excited.
    After they packed up and we were walking away I looked at the cashier and said, "Why?" She looked like she was gonna cry but said nothing! People, what does it take to change the very essence of ignorance? Why is it easier for some to hate or belittle than to love and encourage? What did it cost me to help these young people? NOTHING but some coupons that I can just print up more.
    Just Paying It Forward!!

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever forgotten...Aesop

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    12 (100%)

I'm kind of a half hearted couponer and never price match. I just go to different stores. (They wouldn't do it the few times I tried it.)
    And I totally get it. Do the work and you get the benefits. I know how much difference it makes if I shop according to the sales as opposed to just going to the store.
    Ciel, macw1960, samm07 and 1 others like this.
    It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that makes happiness.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information