User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Signing for a credit card for a promo?

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    98 (100%)

I have an offer if I apply for a credit card and get approved I can get a free $100 gift card for a few places... I'm quite tempted. But would be cancelling the card as soon as I had the gift card in hand. Has anyone done this and then been peanalized? It seems "to good to be true?"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This thread is currently associated with: Apple

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

You probably will have to use it before getting the card
    mulock and samm07 like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    34 (100%)

Are you talking about ratesupermarket? I did and got $100 SB gift card [for PC] and did not even bother activating it. I gave my GC away to bro as a gift and he has even used half of it so it does not matter, at least not in my case.

It may 'ditch' your credit points but I don't care; not that I got life or anything so screw it.
    samm07 likes this.
    "Freedom is a myth, love is non-existent and privacy is delusional! No right to live or die"

Like for me no apparent reason!
    https://www.facebook.com/Arvilish-133128550466283/

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

You may also want to be aware that when you get a credit card, even if you do not use it often (or at all), it can be considered a 'debt' when trying to get a mortgage or a loan. I had this pointed out to me many years ago when I was applying for a mortgage. The bank had 2 credit cards listed (with credit limited totally $35,000). Both cards had been cancelled and I did not owe anything, but the credit bureau had not removed them from my credit listing. So, the bank considers your credit card limit a debt, because you can use the credit at any time. Annoying little things I learned about credit and banks.
    And, yes, I got (and already paid off) my mortgage. I also learned how to contact a credit bureau to have corrections made to make sure my credit is in good standing.
    mulock, walkonby, samm07 and 1 others like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    98 (100%)

All good info. We only have two credit cards between us both that we don't carry a balance on. Credit ratings are crock anyway. You get better ratings for carrying a balance and paying your minimums on time versus paying it off while you use it. Figure that out lol. I probably won't do it. As it could be a hassle cancelling it.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

When applying for a credit card, they do a hard pull on your credit report and you lose points, so the choice is yours.

Good luck with your decision
    Natalka and walkonby like this.
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Does someone know how many points we loose when we apply for a new credit card?

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    98 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by amira84 View Post
    I looked it up and it's like 3-6 so extremely minimal.
    amira84 likes this.

Trading Score
    124 (100%)

how do you find out your credit score? for free of course

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Purdee View Post
    how do you find out your credit score? for free of course
    Sign up for Equifax.ca 30-day trial. That doesn't pull TransUnion score though

Anyway, credit card applying for bonus or churning is an art
    See my big thread on R F D ...... whole point is to sign up CC for the welcome bonus, and cancel before renewal

Jerry's List of Credit Cards with $200+ Welcome bonus/Aeroplan/AMEX MR & Churning FAQ
    insert-you-know-what/jerrys-list-credit-cards-200-welcome-bonus-aeroplan-amex-mr-churning-faq-1685293/

As for RSM $100 GC, it's usually on approval, no use needed. I just did one for MBNA 0% Platinum MC
    Last edited by jerryhung; Tue, Apr 26th, 2016 at 02:00 PM.
    samm07 likes this.
    Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's List of Credit Cards with $200+ Welcome bonus/Aeroplan & AMEX Churning FAQ
    AMEX Personal 60K || Business Platinum 75K || Biz Gold 40K || SPG 20K

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by olivercat View Post
    You may also want to be aware that when you get a credit card, even if you do not use it often (or at all), it can be considered a 'debt' when trying to get a mortgage or a loan. I had this pointed out to me many years ago when I was applying for a mortgage. The bank had 2 credit cards listed (with credit limited totally $35,000). Both cards had been cancelled and I did not owe anything, but the credit bureau had not removed them from my credit listing. So, the bank considers your credit card limit a debt, because you can use the credit at any time. Annoying little things I learned about credit and banks.
    And, yes, I got (and already paid off) my mortgage. I also learned how to contact a credit bureau to have corrections made to make sure my credit is in good standing.
    That's one reason why I call my credit card issuer every time they automatically increase my limit requesting it be dropped down to the lowest possible level. I keep my limits at $3500 simply because I use my credit card as a debit card and never carry a balance. I have no need for a $10k, $20k, or $30k limit even though I qualify.
    samm07 likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    98 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by mulock View Post
    That's one reason why I call my credit card issuer every time they automatically increase my limit requesting it be dropped down to the lowest possible level. I keep my limits at $3500 simply because I use my credit card as a debit card and never carry a balance. I have no need for a $10k, $20k, or $30k limit even though I qualify.
    Ugh puts keeps doing that. Every single time j go to the bank they tell me I can qualify for a larger limit! Every time I tell them no. Ugh

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by samm07 View Post
    I have an offer if I apply for a credit card and get approved I can get a free $100 gift card for a few places... I'm quite tempted. But would be cancelling the card as soon as I had the gift card in hand. Has anyone done this and then been peanalized? It seems "to good to be true?"

Keep it for at least 1 month if you can , i.e 1 Billing cycle and then cancel it, if you want. You need not even spend much on it, like 10-15 bucks.

You never know, if they will claw back the $ 100 GC or not, if you never activate it or cancel it immediately. I would wait for 1 cycle.

Opening it does require a credit inquiry on your file, and might drop your credit score a bit. But if you don't care much about the score, go ahead and open one and get the GC.
    samm07 likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by samm07 View Post
    All good info. We only have two credit cards between us both that we don't carry a balance on. Credit ratings are crock anyway. You get better ratings for carrying a balance and paying your minimums on time versus paying it off while you use it. Figure that out lol. I probably won't do it. As it could be a hassle cancelling it.

No hassle cancelling it. They don't care. A couple of times they will ask you , Why and that's pretty much it. But make sure you get a final bill or confirmation letter in your mail, that it was cancelled and keep it for record.
    samm07 likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by amira84 View Post

Not much, unless you have lot of Credit Cards and debt. Usually after 6 months - 1 year it repairs itself. So if you are not applying for loans, mortgages, car financing, Line of Credit etc , any time soon, go ahead and apply for one, even if its just for the Gift Card.

You can cancel it later or reduce the Credit limit on it a lot, so that your score is not affected much.

NEVER cancel your OLD CC , as the AGE of the credit card is also important for your score. Cancelling a new card will affect you score much less than a 10 + year card.
    amira84 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information