User Tag List

Page 33 of 38 FirstFirst ... 23 31 32 33 34 35 ... LastLast
Like Tree2110Likes

Thread: May 2016 Frugal Chatter - ALL WELCOME

momof5boys
    Trading Score
    509 (100%)

Crochet lady....hope you are feeling stronger each day!

momof5boys
    Trading Score
    509 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    Ask Brother to pay for a community meal program or some other prepared meal delivery service. Easy for him to say thank you but it's time he puts some money and effort out.
    Might there be friends of Mom willing to help out (if you put a call out) with casseroles, pasta dishes or salads so there's always something in the fridge? You may have to coordinate but any help from the social network or other kin would give you some breathing room
    Today I will be meeting with my parents to talk about the possibility of a meal service program for two days a week (I cook 2-3 meals a week for them). It will cost them a bit of money but they can afford it. My brother has this idea that my dad should start learning how to cook - drives me crazy that he has all the answers from a distance. It would be war at my parents place if Dad starts cooking and he is 85 years old!!! It is odd that my brother thinks he is 'helping' by giving this advice but actually it is more stress for me. I also have two sisters - the one that lives the furthest away (4 hours by plane) is the most helpful.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    41 (100%)

the gift redgistary... has got me laughing a lot....... and curious.... what is the price of the waffle maker..... since mine was under 20.00 at Walmart....lol....

morning all. very , very little rain. I want more. I need a good watering of my garden.
    I wrote out my list of jams, and saucesI want to can this year. I need more tomatoes........lol
    it will be very worth it in the winter.

I am hoping to start edging my front flower beds this afternoon. unless we get rain. I would prefer rain.... lots of rain....

supper is bbq burgers, and salad.
    to join earnably https://earnably.com/i/gigi3
    or Swagbucks
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/daycaremom
    offers wonderful ways to earn amazon.ca gcs... paypal and much more. message me if you want any hints.

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

@Giseledta: The waffle maker is $250. There is also a $300 one-touch tea maker. Isn't that a kettle? I feel quite bewildered the more I look at this. They seem to have registered for the exact same tea maker at the Bay. Incidentally, Williams Sonoma is $50 less and they gift wrap. The same tea maker is $350 at the Bay.

The toaster is $220.

They've also registered for three different coffee grinders, ranging from $40 - 300. Oh, a new discovery. There's a "quick touch crisp, micro" for $600. Does that crisp up your bread?

And an electric milk frother for $180. Of course, all these prices are before tax.

Well, off to my first ultrasound. This registry is taking my mind off of holding in the water.... Ugh!
    Last edited by sweet sparrow; Thu, May 26th, 2016 at 01:23 PM.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Giseledta View Post
    the gift redgistary... has got me laughing a lot....... and curious.... what is the price of the waffle maker..... since mine was under 20.00 at Walmart....lol....

morning all. very , very little rain. I want more. I need a good watering of my garden.
    I wrote out my list of jams, and saucesI want to can this year. I need more tomatoes........lol
    it will be very worth it in the winter.

I am hoping to start edging my front flower beds this afternoon. unless we get rain. I would prefer rain.... lots of rain....

supper is bbq burgers, and salad.
    We planted lots of tomatoes for that reason too! Can't wait to stock the freezer with tons of sauce (of course I don't want to rush summer either )

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    41 (100%)

how much for a tea maker...... seriously.... OMG.

maybe I am just to frugal ... or I have better things to spend my money on... but.... wow.
    off I go with my electric kettle, with auto turnoff once the water boils... thatI got on sale for 12.00.................
    Angela273, Ciel, walkonby and 2 others like this.
    to join earnably https://earnably.com/i/gigi3
    or Swagbucks
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/daycaremom
    offers wonderful ways to earn amazon.ca gcs... paypal and much more. message me if you want any hints.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

I typed up a long post this morning, but now I don't see it anywhere in this thread. I was just coming to edit it because I forgot to mention that both of our twins have slept through the night 7+hrs for the past 4 nights in a row, which I believe is their record. Too bad our oldest got up 2 of those nights.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sweet sparrow View Post
    @Giseledta: The waffle maker is $250. There is also a $300 one-touch tea maker. Isn't that a kettle? I feel quite bewildered the more I look at this. They seem to have registered for the exact same tea maker at the Bay. Incidentally, Williams Sonoma is $50 less and they gift wrap. The same tea maker is $350 at the Bay.

The toaster is $220.

They've also registered for three different coffee grinders, ranging from $40 - 300. Oh, a new discovery. There's a "quick touch crisp, micro" for $600. Does that crisp up your bread?

And an electric milk frother for $180. Of course, all these prices are before tax.

Well, off to my first ultrasound. This registry is taking my mind off of holding in the water.... Ugh!
    Is their wedding on April First??! This MUST be a prank, a gag, a joke right? The items on their " wish List " for gifts seems outrageous to me. If they have been a couple for that many years ( over 10 ) AND have had the good fortune to have lived with their parents during that time, well.....nope, I would not indulge them anymore by buying anything on those registries.
    Let them graciously accept whatever gifts their guests can afford to give them and save for the fancy stuff on their own.

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Angela273 View Post
    I typed up a long post this morning, but now I don't see it anywhere in this thread. I was just coming to edit it because I forgot to mention that both of our twins have slept through the night 7+hrs for the past 4 nights in a row, which I believe is their record. Too bad our oldest got up 2 of those nights.
    Yay. Josie has been doing 11pm-5am with no nursing. We have been working really hard. Last night she slept that long and didn't wake! I am hoping by June's beginning it is more consistent. Congrats on your progress.

@sweet sparrow

Buy them a bag of flour and a bottle of oil, put in a basket with your favourite waffle recipe.

Wedding costs are certainly led by the bride and groom. We were registered at Canadian Tire back when they did registries.

I am pretty traditional. My hubs and I lived at home until we were wed and then moved into a starter home we just purchased. We were 24 and had nothing. My sister is 30 she has lived with her fiancé for 2 years. They are renovating their kitchen right now...the registry is their opportunity to "upgrade." I am not sure how I feel about the upgrade mentality. I don't feel that because one finds love later they deserve any less celebration. On the other hand, they are just making it official as they started their lives together a few years ago.

Interested to hear some of your perspectives as mine is kind of muddy.
    Last edited by Granger; Thu, May 26th, 2016 at 05:39 PM.
    "There are more important things--friendship and bravery...."
    -Hermione Granger

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

A relation still has a $799 kitchen appliance not purchased and still listed on the wedding gift registry and there's a $600+ item as well that has no takers. I have to lean more towards @Sweets parrow and @walkonby 's thinking on not going broke on a gift, as the decade-old couple seem to be thinking like they want it all, as though they are starting out and (*feeling entitled* to ask for high living items). I'm tempted to say buy a store gift card in an amount that you can agree on with DH and leave it at that.

But the idea of making a waffle kit is very clever. I'd toss in kitchen towels as well or oven mitts. We don't know how kitchen savvy the duo are, do we?

Today-in the am, decided that two of the three overripe bananas had to go into a cake (actually quick loaf recipe but baked in round cake pan for baking in toaster oven). Mom actually liked the texture (finer and drier crumb than when I make the loaf) of the cake! So we had something sweet today and while the cake was baking, I had the kitchen window open and the breeze was cool (but it certainly heated up in the afternoon). Got the left front of the silk shirt patched and cut the neckline. Not sure if I'll bother interfacing the button placket as it will be folded twice along original lines.

Found some magazines and a DVD to get through tomorrow. Like @coupongirl said, it's rather hot to be running around. I'll have to wait for Saturday to see my new PC Plus offers and be online.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

SS-Hope your US went well-we are all dying to hear when your bundle of joy is due-well at least I am!
    Angela273, Ciel, Granger and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sweet sparrow View Post
    I just glanced at the registry of the happy couple who have been engaged for a decade. Besides the usual ($450 juicer, $80 decorative pillows, etc.) they seem to have registered for five 16-piece place settings in cutlery and dishes, three hand blenders - two the same but different colours (all over $120), two coffee grinders, two french presses, two kettles, .... I am confused.

I think I need to step back and take a breath. They've registered for four bags of $22 cupcake mix, $30 waffle mix, $35 salt and pepper to put in their $140 salt and pepper grinders, and $22 pizza mix, among many others. There's also things like a $60 cookbook holder, $50 honey pot, and $70 oil container. It's porcelain and French. Perhaps I've spent too much time in the frugal world?
    Odd that they want multiples besides plate settings etc, perhaps they ask for 2 or 3 and will return the extras for a gc or gift giving to family members ie Christmas, who knows but that is odd.
    Giseledta, Ciel and SassyAshley like this.
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

I will admit that my nieces registry for the most part is very reasonable many items from $5.99 upwards, the most expensive is a Kitchenaid mixer heavy duty for $550. She is registered at bed bath & beyond.

However, I've discussed with her and we will be making her a homemade coffee table made of sawn boards, stained, etc. She is very excited to see what we are making which is nice.

Did a few groceries after ds2's appointment and then ran in for a prescription & milk. Didn't make it to the library for printing but hope to perhaps on the weekend.

Wishing everyone a wonderful evening.
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lizzie bargain View Post
    SS-Hope your US went well-we are all dying to hear when your bundle of joy is due-well at least I am!
    Nope me too. I am not supposed to be having any more babies...so I am living through everyone else!!!
    "There are more important things--friendship and bravery...."
    -Hermione Granger

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

SS: I hear all of the things the couple wants and I immediately think clutter. I just can't imagine why people think a 300 dollar tea device is better than a 30 dollar kettle. Just wait til they have children.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Page 33 of 38 FirstFirst ... 23 31 32 33 34 35 ... LastLast

Thread Information