User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree93Likes

Thread: When did Fast Food become so Expensive !

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Even my teen who has had the luxury of tons of disposable cash is done with fast food. His friends and him just had a discussion that they were stopping the late night crap eating and starting to eat healthier. I am so proud of him. His savings account will thank him too and he will appreciate it in the long term. Health and money wise!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

I don't mind spending 5 bucks , 2-3 times a week to grab something for lunch each time. But no way I am spending 10 bucks for the same stuff, just not worth it and the value is simply not there. Its not even filling, its like you just wasted 10 bucks on nothing and you are still hungry !
    Ciel and Davetherave like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

I have once or twice paid just for a burger at McDonald's (once during the Monopoly game and once this past winter) because I don't like the combo offers (the fries served now are not like the ones from the 80s) and I crave a cooked burger. There are no nearby Harvey's places except on Upper James after Home Depot changed food providers in their stores about two years ago. Taco Bell is usually my choice in a mall food court once or twice per year (the standalone locations have disappeared except on Upper James at Rymal in Hamilton or on Queenston Rd about two blocks away from Eastgate Square).

Like the current food writer at the Toronto Star wrote recently in the paper, he has a few quick and inexpensive meals to make up with pantry staples using pasta and frozen vegetables and protein when he has not gone market shopping. They helped him through tight money times too. He had a tuna/peas/pasta dish that also used tomato paste (not something I have but a skincare book recommended including tomato paste in each meal for the lycopene benefits for skin as we get older).
    http://www.thestar.com/life/food_win...ous-pasta.html

In Ontario, I expected food prices at fast food places to rise given the last two minimum wage increases (compare them to what most US states pay for minimum wages at your favourite buffet stops) plus any hydro increases twice per year. I'm sure the Time of Use kwh rates are causing a lot of monetary pain at franchises (signs have to be lit, all the equipment that needs powering, the a/c during warm weather spells or heating during cold periods) too. Don't forget the annual water/wastewater rate changes (annually in Hamilton) plus gas rate changes (quarterly).

I've been wondering why some restrooms only seem to ever have cold water running from taps-are those places on tank systems or have cut off the hot water? I thought food places had to have hot/cold water for food service areas but expected that to apply to restroom taps for health reasons too. I don't wish to guess if the employees have properly washed hands before the side salad or produce topped burger is put on my tray...
    Last edited by Ciel; Mon, May 2nd, 2016 at 01:26 PM.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Pizza Pizza had $ 4.99 + tax Medium Pepperoni or Cheese Pizza for special walk in price.

Now apparently its gone upto $ 6.99 + Tax, last few weeks.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    87 (97%)

Taco Time has a Toonie Tuesdays too.
    Ciel, tjthemanto and Davetherave like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Name:  16344O_Offers_2-Piece_Taters_P1.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  117.6 KB

MARY BROWN - Mondays. Much better than the garbage KFC Tuesday special.

Taters taste much better than Fries. Chicken also tastes better than soggy greasy KFC chicken.
    Last edited by tjthemanto; Mon, May 2nd, 2016 at 06:16 PM.
    Ciel, KelJo, amira84 and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    314 (100%)

^ ..mmmm....Mary Browns!! my favorite..I love Mary Brown's
    Ciel, amira84 and Davetherave like this.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

-I agree with nat -hubby and I eat out the odd time but always use a coupon Harvey's the other day 2 can dine for 10.50 which wasn't bad -with caa membership
    -or we have had little cesars pizza 6.50 and that's not much more than frozen
    -oh and A&W we always use coupons you save at least 6.00 by using their cpns
    Natalka, Ciel, Shwa Girl and 1 others like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    162 (100%)

@Ciel

The hospitals only have cold water now in Victoria BC.

I believe the hot water thing has been determined not to be a factor but rather just soap, water, and proper hand washing procedure.
    Zoombucks are back: Please consider using my link to sign up again: https://zoombucks.com/?ref=IIHO0L

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Tierra Lemieux View Post
    Taco Time has a Toonie Tuesdays too.
    In Saskatoon Taco Tuesdays are 1.29
    Ciel and dededi like this.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Yup, fast food is super expensive. I used to eat fast food frequently during the first 2 years of university, and then I realized how expensive it was and started cooking. There were more portions, the food was fresher, and I know what was actually in the food.

However, I still buy fast food every 2 weeks or so when it becomes convenient. I do mostly try to use coupons and McDonald's, KFC, Subway, Mr.Sub, Wendy's, Swiss Chalet, Harvey's, Thai Express occasionally have coupons.Fast food is still pretty expensive even when you use a coupon, but it is a bit cheaper and you are saving some money. Also, I find that you just have to shop smart, which is something I believe that most smartcanuckers know how to do. Get as much bang for your buck by finding those food deals. For example, $6 medium pizza at at pizza pizza which is a meal for a family of 4 on a busy day. Or purchasing a whole chicken from Costco could last up to 2 meals. Metro and Longo's have certain deals for cooked food for each day of the week. At Metro, the baked chicken is $8 on Tuesdays. We just have to learn how to shop smart and it's totally ok to indulge every once in a while especially when you're busy.
    Ciel likes this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by momof3heathens View Post
    @Ciel

The hospitals only have cold water now in Victoria BC.

I believe the hot water thing has been determined not to be a factor but rather just soap, water, and proper hand washing procedure.
    I'm not sure how effective cold water is at promoting proper hand washing procedure...whenever I encounter a washroom with only ice-cold water, technique goes out the window in favour of getting my hands out of the ice bath as fast as possible.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Even the Fast Food Coupons are not giving that good a value these days, plus come with strings attached like buy fries and drinks with that or some other side which you don't need any ways.

Going there without coupons and not on their weekly special day is a waste of time.

So you have to plan accordingly, this place has a Monday special, that place a Tuesday special, this place after 4.00 pm they have a special and so on. So you have to change your menu according to the time and day of the week.
    Ciel and walkonby like this.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

I realize things are different in various provinces.

FF coupons (we use the mailed ones, but there are also on apps) for McD and A&W combos only went up by .50 over the last year. You can still get a meal for 5.49, which is pretty decent - includes a big burger, med fries, and big drink. There are usually BOGO coupons for burgers themselves as well.

I know BK has coupons out as well, but we never use them since we just go occasionally for Whopped Wednesday.

We just had tacos, yum - very good deal at 1.29.
    Last edited by Natalka; Tue, May 3rd, 2016 at 08:52 PM.
    Ciel likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information