User Tag List

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By mulock
  • 1 Post By greeny
  • 1 Post By Ciel

Thread: HOME FIRE SAFETY! Detectors, extinguishers -- what else?

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Hi!

Maybe someone has some more knowledge on this than the zero I'm currently holding:

Is there a "best time of year" to buy fire safety products for the home?

Is there a store where the deals are consistently good, or is there a current sale somewhere?

We are looking to purchase two smoke detectors, two carbon monoxide detectors, at least one small household fire extinguisher, and anything else people might find crucial for the home.

I'm hoping to find better deals than I saw at Rona -- I come here before beating the street searching, because y'all just know what's up
    This thread is currently associated with: Rona

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I bought 2 battery operated smoke detectors from Costco for $19.99, and two hard-wired smoke detectors from Home Depot for $19.99, and then bought a Carbon Monoxide Detector from eBay. You are supposed to change your smoke detectors every 10 years, but instead of throwing out my old ones, I replace them with new ones and then put the old ones in other areas of the house (garage, laundry room, basement rec room, entryway).
    bullet tooth likes this.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Lowe's normally has good deals on carbon monoxide detectors and smoke alarms. They sort of randomly put them on sale. If you have a basement, make sure you put a carbon monoxide detector near your furnance. You should also have one in each bedroom and one on the main floor somewhere as well. I know it seems like a lot but it's better to be safe. You can get small fire extinguishers from Canadian Tire...that's where I got mine for about $25.
    bullet tooth likes this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Usually when the daylight savings time <> standard time switch happens, you can count on flyer deals at Cdn Tire and other hardware stores.
    Having said that, if your kitchen does not have a ventilation hood that works, you need to consider getting the photo electric smoke detectors (they won't go off if you boil water for tea or soup). Otherwise the ionization smoke detectors will activate if you try to boil water or heat a gas stove for cooking (a family member with no clue on such matters bought an ionization unit-it's now relocated to the basement).

You can also read Consumers Reports through your public library if the system has subscribed to the online database for reviews.

I noticed that Mississauga News mentions that cottages also need such devices.
    bullet tooth likes this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Thread Information