• 1 Post By FallenPixels
  • 2 Post By abbasgirl
  • 1 Post By walkonby
  • 1 Post By Candini

Thread: does anyone else's cat drool?

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

We have had Hamlet ever since he was a kitty. (rescued from a dumpster! ) Anyways he has always drooled since day one whenever he is sitting on our laps getting petted. The purring starts up and immediately the many drops start falling out of both sides of his mouth. Even worse is he sometimes decides to flick or shake his head then the drool gets sprayed everywhere!
    My top gets drenched by the time he is done and jumps down. I have asked our vet and he said some cats do that but I want to know why??
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Ciel, macw1960, Shwa Girl and 2 others like this.

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Never had any droolers.

Interesting when I searched online, it seems evenly divided on whether it's okay, or it's a problem.

If your vet has checked him for things like dental problems etc. then obviously it's nothing to worry about.

Oh, I found this -

Yes, your cat may drool a bit when you are petting her. This could mean that the petting is so relaxing and makes her so happy that she forgets to swallow. Touching your feline’s nose or the side of her mouth with your fingertips will remind her to swallow.

http://www.petful.com/behaviors/why-...hen-she-purrs/
    Ciel, macw1960, walkonby and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

oh @Natalka !! Thanks, after reading that article I do believe for Hamlet it comes from a place of absolute devotion ( to me!! ) because he shadows me all day long. He MUST be in the room I am in always, if not tucked alongside me in bed, ( he follows me when I make bathroom trips as well ) ......then he also must sit on my lap or between my legs on the recliner if I watch tv, and at the computer I cannot let him be a lap cat, so he lays down by my feet.
    Any cooking I do he also leaps up onto the sink to peer over and check out what I am chopping, he is sure a character. I am forced to distract him by tossing the odd green bean or vine from the herbs on the floor and he chases that around.
    I sure feel loved by this sweet cat.

thanks
    Natalka, JadeAngel, Ciel and 3 others like this.

Trading Score
    321 (100%)

No drooling kitties here.
    Natalka, Ciel, walkonby and 1 others like this.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever forgotten...Aesop

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by walkonby View Post
    oh @Natalka !! Thanks, after reading that article I do believe for Hamlet it comes from a place of absolute devotion ( to me!! ) because he shadows me all day long. He MUST be in the room I am in always, if not tucked alongside me in bed, ( he follows me when I make bathroom trips as well ) ......then he also must sit on my lap or between my legs on the recliner if I watch tv, and at the computer I cannot let him be a lap cat, so he lays down by my feet.
    Any cooking I do he also leaps up onto the sink to peer over and check out what I am chopping, he is sure a character. I am forced to distract him by tossing the odd green bean or vine from the herbs on the floor and he chases that around.
    I sure feel loved by this sweet cat.

thanks
    I think Hamlet thinks you are the alpha cat and he is the lesser cat
    But, about the cooking, I think that Hamlet has you trained
    lol
    JadeAngel, Ciel and walkonby like this.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

I know....ha ha ^^^ @Shwa Girl , I should NOT let him get away with jumping up wherever he pleases but then I look at that splotched ginger face and I melt. He is such a bum for getting into things too, but I just cannot stay mad at him when I remember he was saved from death being plucked from that dumpster. ( grrrr! still about the heartless creep who tossed the litter of kittens in there in the first place, one of Hamlet's siblings was already dead in there )
    JadeAngel, Ciel and Shwa Girl like this.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

my last cat was a drooler too. we thought he had some kind of problem because his tongue was always hanging out of his mouth. whenever he was happy we would get soaked. fond memories. syndi
    walkonby likes this.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

My Old Lady Jade does when she is happy via human interaction. If shes happy from playing by herself, she doesn't drool
    dededi likes this.

Trading Score
    169 (100%)

Friends of ours used to have a beautiful black and white cat that drooled whenever he was happy.....
    walkonby likes this.

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Catching up on posts after an insane few weeks, but Roo is a drooler and Scully was too. Scully was all the time, he was like a slobbbery dog but Roo is only when I am petting him or he is cuddled up with me for a snuggle.
    Our vet said it is fine as long as they have always been droolers, but sudden drooling especially in older cats can be a sign of health issues.
    walkonby likes this.
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Yep. One of my cats does that too when I pet him. It never even occurred to me to worry or ask my vet about it. He doesn't totally shower me though - just a few drops...maybe because I get grossed out and ruin the mood.
    Natalka and walkonby like this.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by abbasgirl View Post
    Yep. One of my cats does that too when I pet him. It never even occurred to me to worry or ask my vet about it. He doesn't totally shower me though - just a few drops...maybe because I get grossed out and ruin the mood.
    yeah, I was almost sure it was not an actual thing to fret over BUT since we had him at the vet on his last checkup we asked about it and he put our minds at ease. As we know now, SOME cats just do that when you hold/cuddle/scratch under their necks or pet them.
    abbasgirl likes this.

Trading Score
    189 (100%)

My moms cat does this! She only stays to be pet by men and drools like crazy during pets. Maybe its therapeutic for them?
    walkonby likes this.

Thread Information