User Tag List

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By EvilTofu
  • 2 Post By r0c0upons

Thread: Retailers selling expired or expiring skincare

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I bought a bottle of Shiseido Ibuki moisturizer with sunscreen earlier this year from Sephora online. Only noticed last night that it is expiring in July. Shiseido skincare has a minimum 3 year shelf life. So this bottle was from the very first batch of the Ibuki line debut 3 years ago. Feel a bit disgusted...

It's probably not harmful, but it's like you don't expect to pay full price at the bakery in the evening or day old cookies...

I have bought straight up expired cream from Philosophy at The Bay. It was part of a set with cleanser, retinol treatment and cream. I used them at different rate, so I didn't notice a problem until I opened the cream 4 months after purchase. It smelled terrible and has separated with yellow liquid on top. I went back to the Bay and those women said it is how it is and accused me for wanting a refund after I've already used the other 2 products. She said I can't return it just because I don't like the smell. Contacted Philosophy, gave them the batch number and the customer service panicked, "Stop using those products immediately!" Turns out it has expired for 10 months. They have a policy of sell-by date at least one year prior to expiration. i.e. Hudson Bay sold me skincare 18 months beyond they are supposed to. I went back and those women refused to help. They said I shouldn't have open it if I want refund. So I asked Philosophy to talk to The Bay, and the manager called to apologize. She said she would have a word with the cosmetics department. I went back again, those women still aren't helpful. I made her call the manager and she replaced that one cream begrudgingly. So unfair! Didn't get refund. So I had used the old retinol treatment. No wonder it didn't make my face reddish. I have stopped buying skincare from Hudson Bay. Those women are very unprofessional.

So what do you do to make sure your skincare is fresh? Shiseido do have expiration date stamped at the bottom. I will be sure to open each box to check next time. But most other brands don't have a date. Sigh.

I read on reddit that a woman working at a major retailer noticed her store is selling expired cosmetics and skin care. Most stuff are from 2011 and a few even from 2008, but her manager said: if it doesn't have a date, it's still good. When she worked at another location, they routinely throw away $1000 of expired goods weekly. She took the expired stuff to the back room like she used to, but the manager would put them back, front of the shelf. She complained to the head office with no respond. Weeks later, the manager was named employee of the month. She herself threw away all the stuff she bought at their own store. I wonder which store it is...
    This thread is currently associated with: Sephora, The Bay
    agarla and Davetherave like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

omg...i just have to say....that kitty and bunny in your sig pic are ADORABLE!!
    SavvyLady and agarla like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    34 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by EvilTofu View Post
    I bought a bottle of Shiseido Ibuki moisturizer with sunscreen earlier this year from Sephora online. Only noticed last night that it is expiring in July. Shiseido skincare has a minimum 3 year shelf life. So this bottle was from the very first batch of the Ibuki line debut 3 years ago. Feel a bit disgusted...

It's probably not harmful, but it's like you don't expect to pay full price at the bakery in the evening or day old cookies...

I have bought straight up expired cream from Philosophy at The Bay. It was part of a set with cleanser, retinol treatment and cream. I used them at different rate, so I didn't notice a problem until I opened the cream 4 months after purchase. It smelled terrible and has separated with yellow liquid on top. I went back to the Bay and those women said it is how it is and accused me for wanting a refund after I've already used the other 2 products. She said I can't return it just because I don't like the smell. Contacted Philosophy, gave them the batch number and the customer service panicked, "Stop using those products immediately!" Turns out it has expired for 10 months. They have a policy of sell-by date at least one year prior to expiration. i.e. Hudson Bay sold me skincare 18 months beyond they are supposed to. I went back and those women refused to help. They said I shouldn't have open it if I want refund. So I asked Philosophy to talk to The Bay, and the manager called to apologize. She said she would have a word with the cosmetics department. I went back again, those women still aren't helpful. I made her call the manager and she replaced that one cream begrudgingly. So unfair! Didn't get refund. So I had used the old retinol treatment. No wonder it didn't make my face reddish. I have stopped buying skincare from Hudson Bay. Those women are very unprofessional.

So what do you do to make sure your skincare is fresh? Shiseido do have expiration date stamped at the bottom. I will be sure to open each box to check next time. But most other brands don't have a date. Sigh.

I read on reddit that a woman working at a major retailer noticed her store is selling expired cosmetics and skin care. Most stuff are from 2011 and a few even from 2008, but her manager said: if it doesn't have a date, it's still good. When she worked at another location, they routinely throw away $1000 of expired goods weekly. She took the expired stuff to the back room like she used to, but the manager would put them back, front of the shelf. She complained to the head office with no respond. Weeks later, the manager was named employee of the month. She herself threw away all the stuff she bought at their own store. I wonder which store it is...
    Gross! Glad I never bought any cosmetics from them.

p.s. have you tried using retina cream?
    "Freedom is a myth, love is non-existent and privacy is delusional! No right to live or die"

Like for me no apparent reason!
    https://www.facebook.com/Arvilish-133128550466283/

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

That's too bad you went through all that! I always check for an expiry date, but some times it seems like it's in code!! I don't mind buying creams etc. For a cheap price, if I know it's expiry soon, I have done this numerous times at SDM, and if the cream is a little off I use it for my neck, elbows, feet!!

Thread Information