• 3 Post By Arvilish
  • 5 Post By Shwa Girl
  • 4 Post By Natalka
  • 3 Post By tjthemanto
  • 1 Post By mulock
  • 1 Post By Arvilish
  • 3 Post By Midnightly
  • 1 Post By Chantel

Thread: Sobeys declares a massive $ 1 Billion loss - Safeway acquisition responsible for that

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

http://www.ctvnews.ca/business/sobey...loss-1.2965889

Sobey's , Safeway operation and acquisition is NOT going well.

I think they messed up the Safeway store too much. Plus they didn't really understand the shopping habits and loyalty and liking of Western customer's.

I think they should have left Safeway as is. They should have just renovated and modernized some of the bad Safeway stores, while keeping the policies, prices, people and products inside the stores intact.

They tried to force their " Compliments " store brand from its Eastern Sobeys & Freshco stores into western "Safeway" stores.
    They should have kept Safeway as is , instead of trying to make it another Sobeys store.

Instead of running it as Sobeys, Safeway & Freshco - 3 chain stores , they tried to make it a 2 chain Sobeys (Safeway combined in Sobeys ) and Freshcho stores.

Loblaws took over Shoppers Drug mart , but they didn't try to mess up SDM too much, either their Optimum points or products and policies. Besides adding a few PC products they didn't mess it up much
    This thread is currently associated with: FreshCo, Loblaws, Pharmaprix, Safeway, Shoppers Drug Mart, Sobeys
    Ciel and dededi like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    34 (100%)

I love Safeway. It was my favorite store but then Sobeys closed every freaking Safeway in Saskatoon, down to one and it is too far. It just had its own class but got fked up by Sobeys
    mulock, Ciel and dededi like this.
    "Freedom is a myth, love is non-existent and privacy is delusional! No right to live or die"

Like for me no apparent reason!
    https://www.facebook.com/Arvilish-133128550466283/

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by tjthemanto View Post
    Loblaws took over Shoppers Drug mart , but they didn't try to mess up SDM too much, either their Optimum points or products and policies. Besides adding a few PC products they didn't mess it up much
    Loblaws and Shoppers Drug Mart ARE making changes. Loblaws is reducing some health and beauty aids section of their stores, at least in Ontario, to make Loblaws HABA department look similar to SDM. Some Loblaws stores have put reductions on HABA items now, or within the next few weeks as they renovate.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Totally, this was a merger gone wrong.

I miss them being separate - and I hate the merged flyers, with Sobeys taking on some of the awful policies for advertising which Safeway used. When Sobeys had BOGO, for example, they would list the price, so you knew by seeing the flyer what the prices were.
    Now there is multiple pricing in the flyers, and you don't know the cost of one item.

Love Safeway but never did shop there much because their prices were too high, and their specials often not very good. However, nothing could beat their quality.

We shop much more at Sobey's, for sure.
    mulock, Ciel, walkonby and 1 others like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Natalka View Post
    Totally, this was a merger gone wrong.

I miss them being separate - and I hate the merged flyers, with Sobeys taking on some of the awful policies for advertising which Safeway used. When Sobeys had BOGO, for example, they would list the price, so you knew by seeing the flyer what the prices were.
    Now there is multiple pricing in the flyers, and you don't know the cost of one item.

Love Safeway but never did shop there much because their prices were too high, and their specials often not very good. However, nothing could beat their quality.

We shop much more at Sobey's, for sure.
    They took worst of both stores and tried to implement them ! Instead of taking the good of both stores.
    mulock, Ciel and dededi like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    34 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Shwa Girl View Post
    Loblaws and Shoppers Drug Mart ARE making changes. Loblaws is reducing some health and beauty aids section of their stores, at least in Ontario, to make Loblaws HABA department look similar to SDM. Some Loblaws stores have put reductions on HABA items now, or within the next few weeks as they renovate.
    Same here! I will not be surprised to see Shoppers go down the drain in future. Not sure wtf they are teaching in business.
    "Freedom is a myth, love is non-existent and privacy is delusional! No right to live or die"

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

That explains why Sobeys hasn't marked down any of the garden centers, meanwhile Superstore is 40% off, and Canadian Tire is 25% off.
    dededi likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    34 (100%)

I think Safeway is under-rated! There were tons of good things I like about them. They give 50% off their extremely tasty bakery right at 7 pm. That used to be my breakfast when mom was away :p. They always had $2 any grande drinks at their attached Starbucks. And 5 out of 10 times, they would have 3-sec survey, that entitled you to free any tall drink. So thats how I got into Starbucks

But seriously their bakery is bomb! yum

They also did a lot of Bogo so if you have FPC, you would get two stuff for free. I was back-then beginner couponer so would only collect FPCs LMAO a lot of freebies

Plus love their cashiers pfft

But thanks Sobeys for ruining everything.

p.s. did you know Selena Gomez also go there :p
    dededi likes this.

Trading Score
    70 (100%)

i also miss safeway.. here on the island they all closed.. most were sold over to save on foods since sobeys (under the thrifty foods banner though) already had significant market coverage (i think there was a legal factor involved) so save on foods bought up most the locations.. and while i love a good save on foods shop there are things i miss from safeway... i miss their bakery section! they used to do instore donuts and muffins and pizza swirl buns that were delish! first they changed it to premade stuff (made of site frozen) then they got rid of it all together..

and don't get me started on the airmiles.. yes thriftys does airmiles but their airmiles promos are practically non-existent compared to safeway
    4sure5, Arvilish and dededi like this.
    When life hands you Edward Cullen...throw him back and demand Eric Northman....

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Grocery industry generally makes only 1%-3% of profit. It's a difficult industry with extremely tight margin. I often view them more of a public service.

The massive loss is not surprising. I find that Sobeys and Fresh Co. provide more value than their competitors. They carry fresher products and the stores are cleaner. They sell high quality groceries at reasonable price, but it seems that most people prefer low quality grocery at low price. Hope they don't start cutting corners like Metro.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Safeway is overpriced but their bakery stuff is mostly pretty good. I only really buy discount perishables there, really. Everything else is way too much.

I was disappointed when Safeway's email club stopped featuring brands I even care about and they only offer 'deals' (no longer even good deals, 99% of the time) on Compliments brand items.

Nuh-uh, Safeway. How about gimme a discount on something I actually might want to buy, not random store brand stuff that's way overpriced already, and still is with the 'coupon'?
    Poirot likes this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

No Jamie Oliver item stamp collection program this holiday retail season. I've noticed that the cookbooks and kitchenwares/platters are in the meat department in two or three spots. Stock up on what you want as quantities are limited.

Santa, I'd like the crumbless bread board, please! Want to see if it really does corral crumbs as family likes crusty bread but does not catch all the crumbs that result from cutting bread.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Consultants will be involved in helping Sobey's cut costs where applicable. Article in the Toronto Star (today or yesterday's paper).
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Thread Information