• 3 Post By Decaf
  • 2 Post By ilovecats
  • 2 Post By bhlombardy
  • 2 Post By ilovecats

Thread: Fussy staples

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Staples say they price match but they are very fussy about it. I was buying a Canon printer which had 3 different colours , everything was identical except the colours. Staples were closer and had the white model. The colour did not matter to me but a competitor had the black model on sale. Staples would not price match !!!!!!!!!!!
    This thread is currently associated with: Staples
    dededi likes this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by nwf1946 View Post
    Staples say they price match but they are very fussy about it. I was buying a Canon printer which had 3 different colours , everything was identical except the colours. Staples were closer and had the white model. The colour did not matter to me but a competitor had the black model on sale. Staples would not price match !!!!!!!!!!!
    were you dealing with the salesperson or the department manager?

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

i find staples to be absolute sticklers for semantics and interpretation of their own rules and policies.

One time I bought a printer, AND an extended warranty. The warranty was to provide repair, replacement, or refund if replacement or repair was not possible... Here's what they did when the printer failed within the original warranty period, I might add... They didnt even bother to try to repair the printer... they didnt offer a replacement, they just gave me a refund... on the PRINTER ONLY. I was out $40 for the warranty... Seriously?? WTF??

---

Some time after, I bought a paper shredder and when i got it home it was completely dead. I took it back the next day, and they told me to call the company for warranty... and I had to point out that it was a Staples brand shredder... I was AT The "company".

They then proceeded to show me the warranty page in the manual with an 800# and they suggested I call it. I pointed to the big sign over the counter that told them that I would rather exercise THAT policy, where I wasnt satisfied and just wanted my money back.... and I got it.

--

Yea, so I dont bother buying anything from Staples that I expect to be returning to Staples for after-sales support... EVER.
    Last edited by bhlombardy; Wed, Jul 6th, 2016 at 03:18 PM.
    Thumpersmom, walkonby and dededi like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    13 (100%)

^ Extended warranty fee is non-refundable. I'd prefer the full refund option on the printer. That's way better than the repair / replacement option.
    ROMEO, seylz_gurl and dededi like this.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by nwf1946 View Post
    Any price match guarantee indicates the item must be identical.....since the colours were not identical, it's not a price match.
    ROMEO and dededi like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Decaf View Post
    ^ Extended warranty fee is non-refundable. I'd prefer the full refund option on the printer. That's way better than the repair / replacement option.
    But you miss the point...

First up, that's not what *I* prefer... nor expected. That's not how any other retailer does it. Most retailers (FutureShop and now Best Buy) would send it for repair... OR replace it if was un-repairable. AND regardless what they did, the warranty continued on to the repaired or replacement item. The one and only time that I had one refunded (it could not be repaired, and the line of product was no longer carried so it couldnt be replaced), I got a full refund of the item, plus the prorated amount of the unused portion of the warranty to boot. That's what would be considered fair and I didnt have to argue for it.

That said, the $40 warranty at Staples was supposed to be an extended warranty for 2 years over and above the manufacturer's warranty. The item was still under manufacturer's warranty, so I never actually used any of the extended warranty.

They chose to discard the 2 additional years (and the half year of manufacturers) with giving me no option as to what *I* prefer be done. The item could still have been repaired or replaced by Epson under Epson's warranty, yet I have no recourse and nothing to show for it -- Why? Because Staples opted to give me a refund on the printer only. So I'm out $40 and then had to buy a new printer... which was at that point, the newer version of the same model and which was $50 more than the one I bought it. -- Oh wait, I should have gotten THAT one as a replacement... but no, the choice wasnt up to me. Why? because they never intended to EVER replace it. It was totally their discretion. With that logic, why would they EVER replace it? or even send it for repair when they can pocket $40 in free money and send you packing?

Granted, I didnt buy my next printer from Staples, you can be sure of that.

By the way, MY broken printer, which was still under warranty... and which they kept, could STILL have been sent back to Epson and have been repaired or replaced, long after I was gone from the store, and I'd never know it. Someone then gets a free refurbished printer... or more likely goes back on the shelf as a "refurb" with a 90-day warranty that some schmuck will buy... and probably get shystered into a warranty on top of that.

When explaining this hypothetical to them, none of my logic nor argument was heard nor understood by anyone at Staples. They just gave me what was on the warranty agreement, to the letter (not the spirit) of the wording.

Never again.
    Last edited by bhlombardy; Wed, Jul 6th, 2016 at 03:17 PM.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Believe with the extended warranty, it kicks in after the manufacturer's warranty ends - so if the printer failed during that time you'd be dealing with the manufacturer.

As for the warranty, if it is after 30 days since purchased, no refund is applicable to the warranty.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by ilovecats View Post
    Believe with the extended warranty, it kicks in after the manufacturer's warranty ends - so if the printer failed during that time you'd be dealing with the manufacturer.

As for the warranty, if it is after 30 days since purchased, no refund is applicable to the warranty.

Right, so you see my point.

Thread Information