User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: Ridiculous meat prices at Atlantic Superstore

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I am sure others like me are troubled by the rising cost of food, in particular in the meat section. In the Atlantic Superstore in Bridgewater, Nova Scotia, I am sometimes bowled over by prices of particular packages of meat, usually of some special variety, where the price seems just off the wall. Today, though, I think my wife and I found the most astoundingly high priced package of meat ever.

Name:  ribs.jpg
Views: 887
Size:  71.2 KB

Well, calling it a package of meat is a bit of a stretch because the content was mainly bone, but you get my point. At $23.13 per kg that's $50.99 per lb. Clearly a mistake, we thought, so we asked staff in the butcher's section and they confirmed there was no mistake. If it were a one-off thing it would be highly interesting but, given that other cuts of meat appear regularly at ridiculous prices I have come to the opinion that either Loblaws themselves, or staff at this store, are having a bit of a sick joke at the expense of their customers.

So here is the challenge. Can any other Smart Canucks top this one? Do share.
    This thread is currently associated with: Loblaws, Real Canadian Superstore RCSS
    walkonby and Davetherave like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    13 (100%)

@ $10.50 per pound, it does seems a bit more expensive than here in Ontario.

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

I saw a package of Angus beef at $35.xx/kg last night.

I got lucky and found steaks on for $4.99/lb.
    Good thing, too. DD loooooves her steak, and she's a picky eater. Picked up 8 packs, even though had to stuff the freezer (stocked up on popsicles for the kids summer snacks).
    Natalka, Angela273 and Davetherave like this.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

I cannot give specific examples right now, but whenever I am in RCSS ( in Ontario ) most everything is higher priced ( not JUST the meat ) than FB, NF or GT so I expect it and usually just go there to PM and earn PC points.
    That being said I have heard myself gasp and then laugh loudly when viewing the prices of their meat. I then wonder what family buys that high priced stuff??
    Natalka and johnb56789 like this.

babies teach us acceptance

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    199 (100%)

I saw steaks priced at $50 a kg in RCSS tonight. I can't imagine who would buy that. Plus I saw one with a 30% off sticker. Come on, lower the price in the beginning. My freezer is full of bacon, prime stuffed chicken, hot dogs, some chicken and hamburger purchased at a very reasonable sale price. At that price, I don't need beef.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Buddyboy546 View Post
    I am sure others like me are troubled by the rising cost of food, in particular in the meat section. In the Atlantic Superstore in Bridgewater, Nova Scotia, I am sometimes bowled over by prices of particular packages of meat, usually of some special variety, where the price seems just off the wall. Today, though, I think my wife and I found the most astoundingly high priced package of meat ever.

Name:  ribs.jpg
Views: 887
Size:  71.2 KB

Well, calling it a package of meat is a bit of a stretch because the content was mainly bone, but you get my point. At $23.13 per kg that's $50.99 per lb. Clearly a mistake, we thought, so we asked staff in the butcher's section and they confirmed there was no mistake. If it were a one-off thing it would be highly interesting but, given that other cuts of meat appear regularly at ridiculous prices I have come to the opinion that either Loblaws themselves, or staff at this store, are having a bit of a sick joke at the expense of their customers.

So here is the challenge. Can any other Smart Canucks top this one? Do share.
    I use this price converter, when I don't want to do the math myself, lol!

http://www.convert-me.com/en/convert/food_price/

That meat you show at 10.49 per pound is kind of pricey but not horrid. That cut used to be a 'cheaper' type of meat, but no longer - something the foodie culture has co-opted (along with another example, something like wings, which used to be almost a giveaway cut of chicken).

For that price, one can get really, really good steaks - mind you, we haven't bought beef (other than cheaper ground recently) for ages, because it's so expensive. My go-to cost was always 8.80/kg - and I guess that's why nothing is ever in my wheelhouse.
    JadeAngel, GoJays and Davetherave like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

There's been times when I've seen the 50% stickers and I still wouldn't buy those trays because they're not worth the price. Then other times their distribution center sends them too much stuff and you can pick up things cheap... ground beef for just over a $1/lb, for instance.

OP: If you make it into the city, there's two spots you should check out, if you're not already aware of them. First is Gateway Meat Market and the second is Chops Meat Market. Or Cuts, if you happen to be in Wolfville.
    Natalka and Davetherave like this.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I agree with Lavender Lady! Lots of bacon, prime stuffed chicken, etc. I miss Maple Leaf coupons! There. I said it!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    199 (100%)

I think there are many of us with withdrawal symptoms....

Quote Originally Posted by Nina1 View Post
    I agree with Lavender Lady! Lots of bacon, prime stuffed chicken, etc. I miss Maple Leaf coupons! There. I said it!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by padyofurniture View Post
    OP: If you make it into the city, there's two spots you should check out, if you're not already aware of them. First is Gateway Meat Market and the second is Chops Meat Market. Or Cuts, if you happen to be in Wolfville.
    Thanks for the tip as we often get to the city so will check them out.

To several other posters who refer to the price as $10.49 per pound, I have no idea where you get that from. I suspect perhaps someone converted the kg to lb ratio the wrong way. These bones with meat on them are priced at $50.99 per pound. $50.99 PER POUND!!!! I said that up front in my original post. What kind of company prices their product so ridiculously that the only rational conclusion is that they do not respect their customers? They are in the "We'll trick you if we can" mode.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Thanks for the tip as we often get to the city so will check them out.

To several other posters who refer to the price as $10.49 per pound, I have no idea where you get that from. I suspect perhaps someone converted the kg to lb ratio the wrong way. These bones with meat on them are priced at $50.99 per pound. $50.99 PER POUND!!!! I said that up front in my original post. .
    The picture shows the price of $23.13/kg. There are 2.2 lbs in a KG. Ergo - $10.49/lb.
    Still too expensive for bones.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I am red faced. Twas I who converted the wrong way. Sorry to all. Still ridiculous.

University Couponer
    Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by walkonby View Post
    I cannot give specific examples right now, but whenever I am in RCSS ( in Ontario ) most everything is higher priced ( not JUST the meat ) than FB, NF or GT so I expect it and usually just go there to PM and earn PC points.
    That being said I have heard myself gasp and then laugh loudly when viewing the prices of their meat. I then wonder what family buys that high priced stuff??
    Gotta definitely agree @walkonby , I AVOID RCSS' Meat department now with the prices of their meats, It may, for some people, not seem that expensive. But at $5.49(?)/kg for their chicken legs, its pretty ridiculous when I'm use to getting them for as low as $1.92/kg, but most often at $2.20/kg. I buy my meat from FreshCo or NoFrills now for my family. Yeah, it's not Air Chilled meat, but I lived on the regular Water Chilled meats for 8 months and was fine. Why pay more than double what you have to for something like that!!!!!
    walkonby, Davetherave and ecoantek like this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

I am red faced. Twas I who converted the wrong way. Sorry to all. Still ridiculous.
    can you get pink sticks on meat at Atlantic Super store?
    30% or 50% off?
    Davetherave likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

For $50/lb I'd be hoping to get some Wagyu beef

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information