Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Darth Penguin
  • 1 Post By lecale

Thread: Turkey military coup, as Erdogan urges resistance

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-36809083

An army group in Turkey says it has taken over the country, with soldiers at strategic points in Istanbul and jets flying low in the capital, Ankara.
    A statement read on TV said a "peace council" now ran the country and there was a curfew and martial law.
    It is unclear who the group is or its level of support. Some top army officials are said to be detained.
    President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said he would overcome what he called an uprising by a minority.
    Read the latest live updates
    He told CNN Turk by mobile phone the action was by a "parallel structure" that would bring the necessary response. He has used this term in the past to refer to Fethullah Gulen, a US-based Muslim cleric he accuses of fomenting unrest.
    Mr Erdogan called on people to take to the streets to oppose the uprising.
    He said: "I urge the Turkish people to convene at public squares and airports. I never believed in a power higher than the power of the people."
    Mr Erdogan said he was on his way to Ankara and those involved in the action would pay a heavy price. His office said he was in a secure location.

This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Last edited by Darth Penguin; Fri, Jul 15th, 2016 at 07:01 PM.
    lecale likes this.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

The US is flying planes out of Turkey to Syria and Iraq so this is a problem for them.
    Darth Penguin likes this.

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Turkey is a member of NATO..

Turkey, which has the second-biggest army in Nato after the US, was a crucial ally during the cold war and is now an ally, albeit with significant political differences, in the fight against Isis. Last year Turkey agreed to let US warplanes and armed drones use the Incirlik airbase, just 60 miles from the north-west Syrian border. The aircraft had previously flown from Iraq or Arab allies such as Jordan.
    Loss of the base would be a severe blow to the ongoing effort against Isis, especially after recent terrorist attacks within Belgium, France, Turkey and the US.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Thread Information