User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree104Likes

Thread: When do YOU redeem your points/rewards?

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Hello all,

Just curious how everyone uses their points. I redeemed $170 at SDM in December last year and now am at 250,000 pts. For Shoppers- I like to redeem when they have a good sale and I redeem on boring food and household items. But since I am pretty stocked at home (freezer) and am wanting to use up what we have I haven't done a redemption at all this year. I could save them for Christmas gifts but the only thing I would want to buy from there would maybe be laptops (think that is the Santa gift this year) but selection is limited and I think I may do better at Costco with warranty etc. I also like to buy the cologne sampler set for gifts. So for me SDM points are for stocking up the cupboards/fridge/freezer and will wait for a good sale in the fall I am thinking.

PC pts- Between both cards I have approx. $764.00. I like using my PC pts for groceries. I have been using them the odd time to stock up mostly on good meat sales. I think I would like to use them one month for groceries without touching my grocery budgeted money. Thinking it would be a good way to start off 2017! But I have a hard time using them
    This thread is currently associated with: Costco, Pharmaprix, Shoppers Drug Mart
    Last edited by Frugalbigmama; Wed, Jul 20th, 2016 at 10:06 AM.
    Silk, Ciel, coupon girl and 6 others like this.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

SDM - even though we shop there weekly, it's only for specials so we really don't spend much there overall, so points add up slowly.
    Save them for urgent circumstances - for example, two years ago husband got hurt and we had no income for two months, so we used all our points for food - it really got us out of a jam.

AM from Sobeys - redeem for food.
    Thumpersmom, Silk, barbis9 and 4 others like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

I spend them very quickly. It keeps my OOP expenses low. Sometimes I will cash in SDM points for MIR items. MIR and CO51 cheques go straight in the chequing account. My thinking is that you are only saving money IF you spend less of it.
    Silk, barbis9, Ciel and 4 others like this.

Trading Score
    27 (100%)

For me, it depends on the point values... with SDM points, I save them up until I have the top level redemption (or top level bonus redemption) since the points are worth the most at that time. With PC Points I redeem them right away since the value of the points doesn't increase. I always worry that a points program could be discontinued at a moments notice, so I always cash out as soon as possible. Same with CO51/Zweet, etc.
    Thumpersmom, Silk, barbis9 and 3 others like this.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

-I have enough for 3 redemptions and I save them usually at xmas -mind you I did use a redemption last summer and got a tiny patio table and 2 chairs with a bit of food -I do a lot of my everyday shopping at shoppers eggs,milk cheese ,butter bread -so points add up quick

-as for p.c -no rcss around here only fortinos and no frills -so I don't have much in that pot only 40.00 worth of groceries right now -may use this summer or may wait til xmas -its hard sometimes to let go of these points
    barbis9, Ciel, macw1960 and 1 others like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Thanks for sharing everyone .

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

I redeem PC points as soon as there's any to redeem, but I save my SDM points forever. I can never find anything to redeem for the top level redemptions and the last one was DH's XBox One at Christmas (with the game that he wanted and the senior's discount). I think there is nearly $860 in points and it's really hard to justify spending any of it most days.
    Natalka, barbis9, Ciel and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

There are few big ticket items at SDM I need so the points tend to accumulate. For the past three years I have given away 2 top level redemptions each Christmas to my brother and a friend who can always use extra. this year I was lucky enough to get the point transfer option for PC so I transferred all my SDM points to PC which was 250.00 in groceries. I realize the value is not the same the prices and variety of RCSS out weighed the points difference. I think we are sitting at 1 redemption now but that's OK. PC plus I cash when we have an expensive month.
    AM I save and use whenever they have a spend 95 AM earn 25 event at Metro. It makes for an easy way to rack up the miles.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

I decided to use $20 in points last night at No Frills since I was stocking up on junk lol

I bought 4 taco kits (for $2.97 each) and received 4000 PC pts. Bought a bunch of other things too
    Ciel, macw1960 and LunchLady like this.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

PC Points I like to cash out at $30-$40 because that's enough for 4 packs/roasts of sale meat/poultry.

SDM I cash out at $30-$60-$85. Usually $60. I just can't find enough stuff on sale at one time to buy $170 and SDM's non-sale prices are a total rip-off that can reduce your value by half. I made a list last week for a $60 redemption and just by waiting until this week when everything but one item is on 10%-15% off I get $9 more to play with.

Air Miles I cash out for $50 LCBO cards twice a year - now for hot summer beer season, and at Xmas.

All my surveys and CO51 and Swagbucks and anything else web-based...I cash out as soon as I have the minimum because I don't trust the longevity of web programs. I always expect them to shut down and leave me holding the bag so I don't horde points with them.
    Last edited by lecale; Thu, Aug 11th, 2016 at 12:14 PM.
    barbis9, Ciel, macw1960 and 2 others like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lecale View Post
    PC Points I like to cash out at $30-$40 because that's enough for 4 packs/roasts of sale meat/poultry.

SDM I cash out at $30-$60-$85. Usually $60. I just can't find enough stuff on sale at one time to buy $170 and SDM's non-sale prices are a total rip-off that can reduce your value by half. I made a list last week for a $60 redemption and just by waiting until this week when everything but one item is on 10%-15% off I get $9 more to play with.

Air Miles I cash out for $50 LCBO cards twice a year - now for hot summer beer season, and at Xmas.

All my surveys and C)51 and Swagbucks and anything else web-based...I cash out as soon as I have the minimum because I don't trust the longevity of web programs. I always expect them to shut down and leave me holding the bag so I don't horde points with them.

Good plan! Incase you need more beer lol Don't forget you can redeem PC PTS for Gc's
    Ciel, macw1960, lecale and 2 others like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I cash in my Airmiles for groceries or gas as I get them. SDM pts I try to save up for a bonus redemption-I always buy SDM gift cards in Nov when they give bonus pts for buying them and then use them throughout the year. We get a lot of FF miles or cash bonuses for applying for various credit cards, keeping them for a year and then cancelling them after a year when the annual fee kicks in. We do this on both sides of the border as my DH is American/Canadian. We just used 6 free flights from this. I also opened a CIBC account to get a $300 dollar bonus and will close that soon-now I think the bonus promotion is up to $400 but...I know people who are younger with mortgages etc may not want so many credit card applications to lower their credit score but at our age we are not concerned.
    Last edited by lizzie bargain; Wed, Aug 17th, 2016 at 10:18 AM.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Bonus Optimum points like birthday rewards 4000 pts-I donate to one or more organizations on the Optimum list. Ditto the 1000 pts won recently on Optimum Millionaire game. Now the points earned yesterday with 20x pts coupon I'll save until 8000 pts level then redeem.

PC Plus-I redeem as soon as I get the minimum redemption level.

Air Miles-slowly getting points this year. Last redemption was in Sept (had two) and nothing since. Have not been doing big shops at Rexall during colder months and racking up those bonus Air Miles on weekends. Patience-I'll get back into it!

Cdn Tire e-money-earn a penny or two each transaction. I'll redeem when I have 10 cents or more.

Longos Thank You Rewards-I'm just under 1000 pts and need 2200 for $10 redemption. Let's see how long that takes (I'd say summer but maybe it'll be near end of year?).
    Last edited by Ciel; Mon, Feb 6th, 2017 at 09:50 AM.
    barbis9, macw1960 and LunchLady like this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    169 (100%)

I usually use my sdm points at bonus time and shop for me. My airmiles and pc points accumulate until about 2 weeks before Christmas and then I use them all to stock up for the holidays.
    barbis9, macw1960 and LunchLady like this.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I always save my PC Points to buy gift cards. If there is some thing special I want from Canadian tire, Lowes, Home Depot , Best Buy etc I always go and buy a card with my PC points first. With over $700 in points you could buy yourself something very nice!!!!!
    barbis9 and macw1960 like this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information