• 2 Post By padyofurniture
  • 1 Post By Shwa Girl
  • 1 Post By Buddyboy546
  • 5 Post By bhlombardy
  • 5 Post By coupondiva

Thread: Atlantic Superstore - Misleading Promo

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I was pleased to see a sign up in our local Atlantic Superstore in Bridgewater, Nova Scotia.

Name:  IMG_0288.jpg
Views: 496
Size:  66.6 KB

What a great gesture. Turns out it was more a "jesture" though and they do not think as highly of their staff as they would have you believe. Customer Service and the store manager advised me they don't actually give the employee a meal, just a $1 off store coupon of some kind. Now, is that a con or what? How low can they sink letting both their staff and the customers down, all in one go?
    This thread is currently associated with: Real Canadian Superstore RCSS, Loblaws
    Last edited by Buddyboy546; Fri, Aug 26th, 2016 at 10:00 PM.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

That's not surprising really. I'm guessing no one actually takes the time to fill out a card.

I'm not sure if it's every year, but the employees rate their managers/store/etc. The family member who told me this said they were given gift packs and treated better during the time leading up to the questionnaire. He didn't bite and rated them how he believed them to be.
    Shwa Girl and Davetherave like this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

OP, I have seen those signs in Ontario too.
    A solution is to call the toll free number for head office or e-mail them the positive comment about the employee, the manager or the store. Head office many not give them a meal, but at least your comment goes to the right place.

At a Shoppers Drug Mart postal outlet, an employee was so helpful, telling me that in June, there may be a postal strike and my package to the US may be delayed. The employee explained other options and even showed me how to get the package to the destination the cheapest way. The store manager called me to verify the comments. Head office had read my comments and sent them to the employees boss.

Just a thought
    Davetherave likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

My male relative told me earlier today that they have this sign at his store. He believes that he had a card filled out on his behalf because a customer came back up to him, card in hand, to ask his name. If the customer did indeed submit the card he has received nothing because of it.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

While I am quick to jump on bad things like this, I am even quicker to recognize good work and often contact head office with compliments, etc. I find it very worthwhile most time. In this case, when I saw the sign I thought to myself "How can you not say "Good job" via this outreach when it results in a meal for an employee. They must be flooded with input. Then I discovered the con and, yes, the box where I deposited my compliment card was empty from what I could see. When employees are at the receiving end of being used like this, it must be quite demoralizing. Good companies do not do this type of thing.
    dededi likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

My two cents...

if I was an employee at a Superstore, I'd find this sort of program insulting to be quite honest. Not the lack of reward doesnt match what was advertised per-se... I mean the whole model of awarding prizes for excellence at your job.

I am not a dog. I do not 'perform' for 'treats'. To promote that employees should receive meals or any other materialistic award for doing a job well done is demeaning.

I work at my job (whatever it is or has ever been) for two reasons: a.) I expect to be paid for doing my job and doing it well... and b.) because I enjoy it. If I don't, I should be doing something else.

I'd expect to be reprimanded if I did a poor job... say if I was rude or unprofessional in whatever manner. And likewise, I would rather expect to be considered for some sort of advancement if I excel or exceed expectations regularly. Some better recognition than a meal, treat, or coupon of some sort. I dont want a MilkBone, I want to be identified as a hard worker with some ambition... let THAT "reward" match the effort I put in.
    ROMEO, GoJays, Arvilish and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    66 (100%)

I work for Dominion in St. John's (same as Atlantic Superstore) and we have this in our store as well. The reward isn't just a $1 coupon, it's actually 7 x $1 coupons for the Home Meal Replacement (HMR) dept. That's the counter that serves all the hot chicken, fries, pizza, soups and salads. You can use 1 or all 7 at once. I was fortunate enough to receive one after working there for less than a month. (I've only been there 2 months now). So it is actually a nice little reward for being a friendly & helpful employee. It's too bad more people don't notice it and take the time to jot down a few nice words. It really made my day!

denise

Name:  Eat our words.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  24.4 KB

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    12 (100%)

I would absolutely fill out a card like this if I thought an employee gave me good service. If I receive exceptional service at a store I do go and talk to a manager. However this hasn't ever happened at my superstore.
    It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that makes happiness.

Thread Information