User Tag List

Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast
Like Tree2022Likes

Thread: September 2016 Frugal Chatter Thread - ALL Welcome!!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Happy first day of school!!! Can't wait to read all the paperwork that gets sent home today..not!

Tonight I will prep food for the week. Boil eggs etc. I think dinner will be ceaser salad and bits of this and that pulled from the freezer. I know we have cooked steak and chicken in there.
    Giseledta, Natalka and Angela273 like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Nat-just curious but why can't you turn on the heat? We have needed to start ours this weekend too with low temps in the early morning.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

^ Oh, it's possible, but that would be giving up! It's just crazy to think of putting the heat on this early, that's all.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by saundyl View Post
    Thats been quite the wait!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Our furnace just got inspected this morning after the flood. They red flagged it to be replaced and a note about being toxic or something like that. Dh took pictures of the flag, we will send it to out PDAP adjuster tonight. The entire furnace replacement should be covered by the province because we were declared a state of desaster, we just don't know how long it will take before they replace the furnace. A lot of furnaces are being replaced due to the floor and sewer backups. We do have one good area heater from when I was in university, plus running the oven and the dryer will produce some heat. It is starting to get cool outside and colder in the forecast.
    Last edited by Angela273; Tue, Sep 6th, 2016 at 11:47 AM.
    Giseledta and jasperandchar like this.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lilo0003 View Post
    Sweet Sparrow: I love it when the shopping stars align like that. It makes up for the days when everything feels so expensive.
    I have ignored all the laundry soap deals recently. I did an inventory and I have enough soap to last 6-9 months so I am not buying for now.
    One of the frugal things I started this year was to always take advantage of the MIR for stuff we use. So far I am at 130.00. And it has meant not paying for dishwasher detergent and the resolve which I love.
    I feel that one day, I'll be one of those people dropping $300 on groceries because we are out of everything or I'm unable to leave the house for some reason and DH has to do all the shopping at the specialty grocery store across the street because it's convenient and there are very short lineups. Right now, our tiny freezer is full of meat we should probably sort through for inventory.

I caved to the Sunlight Power Core deal, only because my brother needed laundry detergent. I have been getting rid of our Resolve supply because it doesn't seem to work for me, so he's been slowly taking that as well. Yay, a cleaner laundry room, which DH likes. He dislikes my stockpiles, especially anything on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by Giseledta View Post
    good morning all.
    I am happy to report my family room is all painted, including the removal of the popcorn ceiling and painting of said ceiling. it looks so much better. we will be doing the floor next month.. for now... a good cleaning, and yea... we can live with it.

I am working on using up some of my yarn stash, so knitted dishcloths are first up.
    then I am making some draft dodgers. I have a few spots to use them, and I am tad concerned about the winter coming up....
    @Giseledta : Was the popcorn ceiling removal difficult and did you have to do any work afterwards? Someone told me it was expensive, so I've never asked as we've had other priorities to fix.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Grabbed the last 6 jars of sauce at Foodland on my way home from work at lunch. Redeemed $10 in airmiles. Received 100 airmiles back and paid $1.95 cash (change from bottom of my purse ) Will add to the foodbank box tonight along with pasta I have.

Posted my Tide pods for sale. Apparently they are terrible to use, don't dissolve in coldwater as they claim and the plastic is getting stuck in water pipes. Manufacturers are telling distributers this now. Glad I didn't stock up too much.
    Angela273 likes this.

Trading Score
    46 (100%)

It's been an expensive weekend. We purchased two beds for LO and the new sibling, DH bought the most expensive mattress in the store because it was the model the owner brought home for his kids. The bed place would not give us an additional $25 discount because it was per address. He didn't ask for our address though, which seems to imply that it's a discretionary discount. We were tempted to just walk out with one bed since he wasn't willing to give us the discount, but my brother was there to help us move them, so we saved on a delivery charge or the bother of removing two car seats next year. The bed sits on slats, so it should fit into a small car easily. We felt badly about having my brother come all the way, but we did get a chance to have lunch and talk afterwards. He also cleared my stockpile of a lot of toilet paper and paper towels, so the storage room is a little emptier.

We were tempted to go to Ikea because the salesman was so grumpy, but I don't think they have solid wood beds in a twin size for a similar cost.

Now, home insurance is set up to be paid in November, and I'll need to pay the phone bill. I think that's it for now!

DH has always been paying the car insurance himself, but if I calculate my portion back to 2011, that's money we can put into the new baby fund. Hooray! We can finally start that now!
    Last edited by sweet sparrow; Tue, Sep 6th, 2016 at 01:43 PM. Reason: Meant to say home insurance instead of car insurance.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Angela273 View Post
    I went shopping at WM late this afternoon. Our twins were on their last box of size 4 diapers, so I picked up Pampers and used coupons plus $4 CO51 rebates. I was happy to find our son's size of Velcro runners in stock, even though the website said there weren't any in his size. I found several varieties to choose from. He needs a new pair to stay at the school all year. I ultimately used $15.50 in coupons, plus $9.25 in rebates.

I'll go shopping at Sobeys tomorrow for 10% off Tuesday. They have some pretty nice AM offers on block cheese and tp. I'm hoping that my store isn't out of stock. There are some things on my list for items that don't really go on sale, so I try to pick them up on 10% off Tuesday.
    Ask for a rain cheque they are normally good for 1 month and hopefully it works out to your 10% Tuesday day
    Angela273 and SassyAshley like this.
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Trading Score
    46 (100%)

I also made the call to RBC to get a quote on home and car insurance. It was $1500 more than we currently pay now. No new discounts on our home insurance, so I just agreed to pay the renewal price. I try to call around each year, but haven't found anyone that can come any lower on our insurance since 2009. I'm not sure that I will keep looking in future since it's been seven years.

I've been told they've discontinued our insurance policy for new customers, but will keep it active for the customers who have it.

I also must call the shoe store about LO's new shoes. Somehow, they gave me two different sizes.
    Angela273 and SassyAshley like this.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

I have the house back to myself....yippee....

2 loads of laundry are hanging outside, ground beef is thawing for homemade burgers on the bbq, my coupons have all been cut, sorted and in my binder.

I will meal plan tonight for the next 2 weeks as I don't plan on doing any big shops unless it's free or nearly free EXEPTION I need to stockup on toilet paper this month (hopefully).

I'm happy to declare that our garage is decluttered, items were taken the re-use it centre yesterday as well dh went though his items in the storage/stockpile room and got rid of quite a bit....so I will leave him alone.

I want to rejig some items in my stockpile to have them more accessible and better organization, perhaps later this week. I will admit I do know what I have on the shelves, pantry and freezers so that helps in eliminating waste and purchasing items when not needed.

Wishing everyone a wonderful day
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Natalka View Post
    ^ Oh, it's possible, but that would be giving up! It's just crazy to think of putting the heat on this early, that's all.
    Ha too funny, My husband and I had a furnace disagreement yesterday, I refused to turn it on just on the principal of giving in to the cold weather we are having!!! It just seems once it is turned on winter is the next step!! I dug out t fleece for him and he complied!!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

It is going to be a frugal week, just going to IGA for 15% Tuesday to get the air miles on the Purex toilet paper. We have zucchini, cucumbers, fall lettuce, carrots and acorn squash, dill and chard ready to eat in my raised beds and I was gifted a huge bag of potatoes from a friend's garden, so we are set for at least a week. I need to empty my freezers into coolers and defrost before hunting season starts, we did marinated goose breasts on the barbecue last night and they were delicious. Hoping the rest of the month is frugal and we can keep eating from the garden and freezer!!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Angela273 View Post
    We need to figure out how to get these kids to sleep because this is nuts already. I've been up with twin boy twice, I am currently up with twin girl for the second time. Our oldest was up crying in his bed three times tonight for three different reasons. One of the times the cat woke him up. I'd let the babies cry some, but that often results in one twin waking the other, then you have 2 crying babies. Even on nights that they sleep better I am often up for the day with them too early. Dh and I sometimes trade off during the night, or one night to the next. My daycare boys typically arrive at 6:40am or 7:40am, depending on their guardian's work schedule. Dh doesn't start work until 10am. I'm feeling frustrated and sleep deprived.

edit: This is one of those many times when I say "sleep is optional."
    I don't know how you do it, being sleep deprived with little ones is so tough. Hope you can catch better nights sleep tonight.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jasperandchar View Post
    I have the house back to myself....yippee....

2 loads of laundry are hanging outside, ground beef is thawing for homemade burgers on the bbq, my coupons have all been cut, sorted and in my binder.

I will meal plan tonight for the next 2 weeks as I don't plan on doing any big shops unless it's free or nearly free EXEPTION I need to stockup on toilet paper this month (hopefully).

I'm happy to declare that our garage is decluttered, items were taken the re-use it centre yesterday as well dh went though his items in the storage/stockpile room and got rid of quite a bit....so I will leave him alone.

I want to rejig some items in my stockpile to have them more accessible and better organization, perhaps later this week. I will admit I do know what I have on the shelves, pantry and freezers so that helps in eliminating waste and purchasing items when not needed.

Wishing everyone a wonderful day
    I finally cleaned up my stockpile in the basement too and feel much better knowing what we have and don't need!
    I finally received coupons for Dove shampoo so will stock up on that when the sales and PC PT offers line up! My teen boy is worse then a girl in the hair product dept. I tell ya!

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

-hubby loves his bus run -yeah for that as last year his run was awfull(not the kids but the traffic) and he has been doing it 7 years now
    -I stained the gate this morning early before the heat -my stomach feels crappy and still a sore throat-a small bug I presume so hubby went and bought me tim hortons chicken soup -all my freezer stock was used up -when better will have to make more soup
    -now just relaxing inside today

Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread Information