User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Teenage breakouts... any reco?

Trading Score
    107 (100%)

DS is almost 14. His skin got really oily this summer so thetiny zits on the forehead are now everywhere. I don’t think the products he’s currently using (Noxzema and Clean &Clear sensitive astringent) agree with him. What products did your teenagersuse that worked? I don’t want him to tryanything harsh.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Search & Win using Swagbucks! Redeem for amazon.ca/Cineplex/Shutterfly gift cards.
    Click >>> Swagbucks <<< and start earning your own.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    DS is almost 14. His skin got really oily this summer so thetiny zits on the forehead are now everywhere. I don’t think the products he’s currently using (Noxzema and Clean &Clear sensitive astringent) agree with him. What products did your teenagersuse that worked? I don’t want him to tryanything harsh.
    Try testing him for a gluten allergy. Or try vinegar

Twitter.com/juliesbzz Pinterest.com/bbirishbug
    Bbirishbug.tumblr.com. Influenster.com/juliemadden
    Ciel likes this.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Some sort of benzoyl peroxide based stuff like Proactive or Oxy or Panoxyl or Clearasil.
    barbis9 likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

My son used the Oxy pads and found he liked them best after trying a few different products.
    barbis9 likes this.

Trading Score
    107 (100%)

Thanks everyone.
    Search & Win using Swagbucks! Redeem for amazon.ca/Cineplex/Shutterfly gift cards.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

If these ideas don't work there are also Rx meds available from your family doctor or a dermatologist if it gets severe.

Trading Score
    189 (100%)

Dont go with proactive. Its expensive and your body becomes immune to it so once you're off of it you break out even worse.

I used burts bees wipes everyday - its not for acne but it prevents breakouts, and oxy pads if I do get break outs
    barbis9 and thriftygranny like this.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Candini View Post
    Dont go with proactive. Its expensive and your body becomes immune to it so once you're off of it you break out even worse.
    It's just benzoyl peroxide and I have used it for decades effectively. You do not build immunity. It works better than a prescription for tetracycline. There are other benzoyl peroxide brands that work just as well for cheaper, though.

And yes of course if you don't treat your acne it comes back. Benzoyl peroxide is a treatment, not a cure.
    Last edited by lecale; Fri, Sep 9th, 2016 at 11:03 AM.
    anisa and barbis9 like this.

Trading Score
    107 (100%)

Thanks for the advice. I also asked some friends with teenaged/young adult children. One told me her DD used proactive but stopped after reading negative reviews about it. Another told me to try Kiehl's.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Thanks for the advice. I also asked some friends with teenaged/young adult children. One told me her DD used proactive but stopped after reading negative reviews about it. Another told me to try Kiehl's.
    I've had acne for 30 years and have tried everything short of accutane, including prescription stuff. You need something medicated, and the most effective thing is bp. Anything else and you are just paying for fragrance and packaging and frustration. You need medicine, not a cosmetic product. So I would avoid Kiehl's and advise that Proactive is only expensive because of the fragrances. Yes bp has drawbacks, like bleaching fabrics and dry scaling skin but I would try Panoxyl 10% wash and a moisturizer as my first go to get around that.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

please do not get him to use vinegar.

also, skin does not get used to ingredients, that is a myth. Badly formulated products can cause other skin issues, or a product can lose it's effectiveness if it is packaged poorly, but those are other issues.

This website has the best info on acne, even though it is on a skin care product's website, the company itself actually started out in the industry recommending other brands, and giving skin care advice.
    Highly recommend reading the info.

http://www.paulaschoice.com/expert-advice/acne
    Ciel and lecale like this.
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

I have had acne prone skin for 30 years, and if I am not diligent with my skin care, I tend to start getting little breakouts. It is just the way my body is wired, hormones are great fun

It doesn't need to be complicated. some BP and a face wash that doesn't clog pores are a good place to start.

Clean and Clear face wash, the yellow one that doesn't have those little bubbly things.
    Another good one is Olay foaming face wash- sensitive version. it has a pump bottle.

Both leave your skin clean, but do not overstrip the skin or clog pores. they are inexpensive, available everywhere, can be bought with coupons.
    BP can be any brand, they should all be very similar, just varying in concentrations.

when I was younger, I tried noxema face wash. It was the worst, it just clogged my pores. Also, the astringent your son used likely has alcohol in it, and that will make skin freak out. I believe all astringents have irritating alcohol in them. They are an unnecessary product.

Stearyl or cetyl alcohol in a skin product is perfectly fine, because it is a thickener, it isn't an irritant.
    Last edited by anisa; Fri, Sep 9th, 2016 at 02:05 PM.
    lecale likes this.
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R

Trading Score
    107 (100%)

Thanks for all the tips.
    Ciel likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Medication in soaps wash away but the medication in creams get absorbed. I have sjogren's and rosacea which causes tiny bumps. My doctor's thought it was acne and would get a bad reaction to medicated stuff. I agree with products for sensitive skin. Exfoliating dead skin is also important if you have acne.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    anisa likes this.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

after starting on a routine of a good face wash and some BP, you can start exfoliating with salycilic acid, which is a type of Beta Hydroxy Acid (BHA). BHA's are awesome for acne prone skin because they dissolve the lipids that are clogging the pores. Unfortunately, BHA's are hard to find in drug stores and even department store. usually the ones that are available don't work very well.

A couple that might be worth trying are

philosophy -clear days ahead oil-free salicylic acid acne treatment & moisturizer

Proactiv & Proactiv+ -Clarifying Night Cream

Don't let a salesperson tell you that a Glycolic acid products work the same way as BHA's and that they will unclog pores etc. Glycolic acid (a type of AHA) is amazing for exfoliating skin, but is not much use for exfoliating within the pores. AHA's do not dissolve lipids, and don't help much with clogged pores.

Good luck to your son. I have a 14 yr old daughter that has acne prone skin, and when she slacks with her routine, I can tell because she tends to break out more. It feels like a chore sometimes for kids, but when they are dilligent, they definitely see results
    Last edited by anisa; Sun, Sep 11th, 2016 at 02:15 PM.
    Ciel and juliemadden like this.
    R

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information