User Tag List

Like Tree9Likes
  • 2 Post By GatineauGirl
  • 4 Post By jen104
  • 3 Post By super807

Thread: Food Basics Sirloin Tip all grizzle!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I bought what I thought was a nice roast for our Sunday dinner. It was a sirloin tip roast, about $25, from Food Basics. What a mess the underside was! I didn't have a clue that it would be mostly grizzle because it looked good in the package....but was pretty disgusting, once I had it cooked. Needless to say, our Sunday dinner was ruined.

Does anyone know if I would stand a chance bringing this problem to Food Basics? I can't find the receipt or the packaging; of course, I expected the meat to be good. I just bought it a few days ago. I could bring the cooked grizzled mess back to the store, but that seems pretty disgusting too. Any thoughts on this matter would be most appreciated.
    This thread is currently associated with: Food Basics
    Last edited by GatineauGirl; Mon, Oct 3rd, 2016 at 06:34 PM.
    dededi and Davetherave like this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

That's happened to me before but not at Food Basics. I bought what I thought was a nice roast at my local YIG, and when I got it home I was getting it ready and when I turned it upside down the entire bottom and middle was a huge chunk of fat. I trimmed if off, then looked at what I had left. There was MORE fat than meat. I was so upset I brought it right back to the store, just as it was. They kind of gave me a hard time when I wanted my money back but I was adamant and they finally gave in. We should return stuff like this, wasting our hard e

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    121 (100%)

While this won't help with the roast you made last month, something to keep in mind for future:

Different cuts of meat require different cooking methods. Cuts that have more connective tissue, like this one, need to be cooked at a low temperature for a longer period of time (often referred to as "low and slow"). This allows the connective tissue to dissolve, and usually leads to in a tender piece of meat. If a cut that needs the low and slow treatment is cooked at a higher temperature and not long enough for the connective tissue to melt, it will result in an unpleasant, tough piece of meat.

Here's a recipe I found through a google search for a sirloin tip roast that uses a lower cooking temperature http://bsinthekitchen.com/sirloin-tip-roast/
    Last edited by super807; Mon, Nov 21st, 2016 at 09:48 AM.

Thread Information