User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree144Likes

Thread: Spoiled meat!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    98 (100%)

I'm so frustrated. I've just thrown out probably $60 worth of meat and had food poisoning in the last two weeks. 😡 I iften buy "clearance meat" if still has a day usually to be used up and I put it right in my freezer when j get home and I have never had issues! Well I don't know what loblaws does with is meat! But I've thrown out 5 pounds f ground beef and a roast! I was making shepherds pie last week and I plopped two defrosted ground beefs into my pan. I was hit with theWORST smell ever. So j threw them out. Pulled out a frozen one. It stunk too! So I threw it out! Grabbed one more and it smelt ok so I used it, well wasn't I up all night throwing up! So then last night I was making spaghetti and pulled a beef out. Awful smell! Throw it out, pull out another also reeks! So I throw it out!! Pull the last one out ready to just chuck it but it smelt fine. And no one got sick. Today I pulled a roast out to make stew. Reeks! Like wtf?!? I'm so angry! All was bought October 10th. The date says October 11th! So it's not even like it's been in our freezer for long! And all but ONE was spoiled. 😡 I get its clearance, but it was still "good" for a full day before freezing. I wish I had opened them to put in a food saver Baggie so I smelt it before freezing so I could have marched right back and gotten my money back for all the awful meat! And avoided puking my guts out 😡 end rant. So not impressed and will avoid buying my meat at loblaws.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This thread is currently associated with: Apple, Loblaws

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

^^ oh THAT is not good! I always buy sale meat at various places, mainly NF, FB and WM, never ever had an issue, not once. The bad smell you spoke of was truly horrible! I have no idea what I would have done if that happened here after defrosting something. Naturally I would have had to toss it out but I wonder if there is any way you can retrieve the cellophane with the labels off those packages of meat you had to toss and take them to the butcher at the Loblaws where you bought it?

Tell him or the manager how you froze it all right away after you bought it and then this happened when you tried to use it. Maybe they can offer you a GC or something? Maybe they will investigate the meat dept. procedure and see if there is room to improve how they discount their packages of meat. That is too many wasted $$ not to at least try.

babies teach us acceptance

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I have had really bad luck with clearance meat from Walmart. I find it's literally 50/50 whether or not it will be usable which is why I stopped buying clearance meat. Its not worth the risk. Meat is actually the ONLY thing that I will not buy on clearance. I have had way too many bad experiences.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by walkonby View Post
    ^^ oh THAT is not good! I always buy sale meat at various places, mainly NF, FB and WM, never ever had an issue, not once. The bad smell you spoke of was truly horrible! I have no idea what I would have done if that happened here after defrosting something. Naturally I would have had to toss it out but I wonder if there is any way you can retrieve the cellophane with the labels off those packages of meat you had to toss and take them to the butcher at the Loblaws where you bought it?

Tell him or the manager how you froze it all right away after you bought it and then this happened when you tried to use it. Maybe they can offer you a GC or something? Maybe they will investigate the meat dept. procedure and see if there is room to improve how they discount their packages of meat. That is too many wasted $$ not to at least try.
    I tried to return meat that I had frozen and they (Walmart) refused. They said it was past the expiry date so I should expect that it had spoiled. After explaining that I had frozen it they said that they couldn't take it back because I had frozen it. Lol! What a runaround!

Trading Score
    189 (100%)

I had food poisoning in the summer, horrible experience! (I think it was from bad chicken)
    I generally avoid buying meat all together as I don`t like handling it. Obviously that doesn`t work for everyone but for sure let Loblaws know!

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by nash0109 View Post
    I have had really bad luck with clearance meat from Walmart. I find it's literally 50/50 whether or not it will be usable which is why I stopped buying clearance meat. Its not worth the risk. Meat is actually the ONLY thing that I will not buy on clearance. I have had way too many bad experiences.
    Now you got me scared! ( ha ha ) I mean did the meat you previously bought from WM ever look off in colour or anything? The stuff I buy always looked fine colour wise and I also press on it to see if there is any " mushy " factor, and if there is I don't buy it. That really sucks that you have had that many bad experiences with buying discounted meat from WM @nash0109

babies teach us acceptance

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Definitely let the store know...even if it is too late to get reimbursed.
    As you mention, re-packaging meat is the way to go. You want to get rid of any juices, rinse it and pat it down with a paper towel before freezing. This is the process I do when freezing any meat/fish.
    CADDLE APP REFERRAL LINK: http://dev.caddle.ca/signup/referral/565f84b25049b

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

I never have bought meat at Walmart. It has never looked good to me.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    98 (100%)

It's all gone in the garbage unfortunately. I just went to Walmart and price matches some roasts for $6 so buh bye clearance section I'll be sticking to sales.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    98 (100%)

The thing is I will only buy clearance meat if it's a day before the expiry. Not the day of. The way I see it is they technically don't even have to clearance that! They could sell that meat at regular price! If you aren't checking your dates when you buy it you could be buying the exact same thing I bought at full price. And that's why I'm annoyed. It had nothing to do with my meat being "old".

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

That happened to me a few times from No Frills when I lived in Hamilton - bought chicken breasts clearance and got home and they were rancid. And had that experience with Food Basic here in Guelph. But Zehrs here in Guelph I knew the butcher so I knew it was safe and same with the Walmart in the north in Guelph. I got food poisoning a few times from salads that were 50% off - still looked good, even washed it and still sick as a dog so we stopped buying anything from Dole.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    121 (100%)

So sorry this happened to you. Am glad you recovered from the food poisoning. Food poisoning is something truly horrible to experience.

Last year I watched an episode of CBC's Marketplace where they investigated the practices of grocery stores with their meat. It was pretty unnerving to watch, as it seemed pretty clear that some stores adjust the date on their packaging when they re-wrap it, for various reasons. Not all stores do this, but it appears that it may be common practice at some

I have often bought deeply discounted meat that has a best before date of the next day. I've had no problems to date (have done this at my YIG and my RCSS, which both seem to be well managed stores). That said, I always repackage my meat into Ziplocs before freezing. Gives me the opportunity to check everything out, and return if necessary. The only time I've had bad meat from the store, it was well ahead of the best before date. I returned it right away, no problem.

One thing I have noticed is that meat that is in cryovac packaging will release a bad smell for a few seconds right after you open the packaging. But the smell dissipates quickly, which doesn't happen if the meat is bad. It's the packaging causing the smell. I now buy my beef and pork directly from the farmer. My beef farmer's product is in cryovac packaging, and has that smell when first opened, but it goes away quickly. There is no problem with the quality of that meat.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    34 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by super807 View Post
    So sorry this happened to you. Am glad you recovered from the food poisoning. Food poisoning is something truly horrible to experience.

Last year I watched an episode of CBC's Marketplace where they investigated the practices of grocery stores with their meat. It was pretty unnerving to watch, as it seemed pretty clear that some stores adjust the date on their packaging when they re-wrap it, for various reasons. Not all stores do this, but it appears that it may be common practice at some

I have often bought deeply discounted meat that has a best before date of the next day. I've had no problems to date (have done this at my YIG and my RCSS, which both seem to be well managed stores). That said, I always repackage my meat into Ziplocs before freezing. Gives me the opportunity to check everything out, and return if necessary. The only time I've had bad meat from the store, it was well ahead of the best before date. I returned it right away, no problem.

One thing I have noticed is that meat that is in cryovac packaging will release a bad smell for a few seconds right after you open the packaging. But the smell dissipates quickly, which doesn't happen if the meat is bad. It's the packaging causing the smell. I now buy my beef and pork directly from the farmer. My beef farmer's product is in cryovac packaging, and has that smell when first opened, but it goes away quickly. There is no problem with the quality of that meat.

That one?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/loblaw...ring-1.3306395

ewww
    "Freedom is a myth, love is non-existent and privacy is delusional! No right to live or die"

Like for me no apparent reason!
    https://www.facebook.com/Arvilish-133128550466283/

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Now you got me scared! ( ha ha ) I mean did the meat you previously bought from WM ever look off in colour or anything? The stuff I buy always looked fine colour wise and I also press on it to see if there is any " mushy " factor, and if there is I don't buy it. That really sucks that you have had that many bad experiences with buying discounted meat from WM @nash0109
    The meat always looked and felt fine.....until I opened the plastic wrap......the smell was terrible! I have bought good meat on clearance too.....it's just that I have bought multiple packages of bad chicken which has turned me off the meat clearance section.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Arvilish View Post

Uugghh! So gross! Yuck!

Great episode. Thanks
    Last edited by nash0109; Tue, Oct 25th, 2016 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Typo

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information