User Tag List

Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 ... LastLast
Like Tree1854Likes

Thread: November 2016 Frugal Chatter - All Welcome!!!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

We just found out that Sasktel Max TV is offering a free movie rental for the weekend, up to $6.95. Just has to be viewed Nov 12 or 13.

edit: We just finished watching Independencd Day 2, for free.
    Last edited by Angela273; Sun, Nov 13th, 2016 at 12:59 AM.
    barbis9, Ciel, lilo0003 and 3 others like this.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Good Morning Everyone,
    Yesterday turned out to be quite the busy day. I am still feeling extremely worn down but can feel small improvements. I thought it would be a do nothing day as I slept in but when Mom got up she announced we were going shopping she needed a few things. It actually turned out to be a great shopping day. We hit it big in the discount bakery sections, all of these were on sale and then another 50% off.

2 Loaves of Mom's Bread (Country Harvest) $1.99/loaf - 50%
    1 Loaf Raisin Bread (Country Harvest) $1.99/loaf - 50%
    2 Packages Mini Naan $2.99/package - 50%
    4 Packages Bagels (Country Harvest) 2/$5.00 - 50%

Then when we got home we decided to go down into the stockpile room and try to regain control of this room. It was pretty much at the point where we had to take everything off all the shelves, sort it, and totally re do and re organize the room. We did not get it all done but we are starting to see progress.

Not sure what the plan is yet for today. I have an oatmeal bake in the oven for Breakfast which has Apples in it which needed to be used up. Need to sit down with Mom and figure out what this week will bring so we can figure out what food prep is needed.

Time to drink some tea. Have a great day everyone.
    Natalka, Ciel, coupon girl and 3 others like this.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

grr...while dh attended a wedding in Aug/Sept. he noticed a week later some damage to our truck on the side. BUT now he's noticed that the extent of the damage is way more severe that a couple bangs on the side. The box is completely shifted and we already had to have the door reset and it's still not sitting properly. I don't know how this will be handled or if they will even pay for the repairs, to be honest I'm afraid they will write the truck off because of the extents of the damages.....obviously buying a new truck or a newer used truck would really put a great burden on our budget. So I guess he will have to call them 1 day while at work and see what they say. Because he was not aware of the damages when or shortly after attending the wedding and no police report was done I'm worried about what they will say/cover. Has anyone had anything similar happen???

Our Christmas tree is in the house but not yet decorated. OUr new tree is 7.5ft tall clearance deal from last Christmas $50....winner...winner...chicken dinner.

Wishing everyone a great afternoon & evening.
    Angela273, barbis9, Ciel and 4 others like this.
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Spent over an hour at Value Village and all I bought was a black v-neck XL wool/cashmere pullover for Mom-total $3.95 with taxes. I did try a different wool sweater. There was one plain dark gray cardigan in Medium torso-wise looked long enough but the sleeves were obviously 3/4 length. So back on the rack it went. No luck in accessories, even the poly-leather simulated new gloves don't fit my hands. Men's shirts-one find I would not be able to alter but it's a two or three toned pale pink tapestry looking nature scene with contrast floral cuffs and front side seams-could have been a $4.99 deal (after discount). Ted Baker London in L if you happen to pop by the Ancaster location to the long sleeve shirts section for men!

Did some grocery shopping at Longos-hello, Ozonol ointment in first aid! It's been over two years since I saw you on a store shelf anywhere. Bought a tube of course. Back hallway still has some marked down Halloween goodies but my eyes looked at the 50% off baked goods on another rolling cart. The bag of 4 pretzel buns went into my basket-$1.99. There are some croissant packages, some buns and one pkg of 4 chocolate donuts-2? are glazed. Reduced peppers on the produce cart-got a pkg of green bell peppers. Added a few other items and used my $2 off Weetabix and 75 cents off Eggos coupons today.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

I went thift shopping today decided I didn't want the crowds of value village -plus I didn't want to keep the car from hubby as he has weekends off -and we share the vechicle
    -so donated 2 full garbage bags to talize and got much needed jeans for me 9.09 after discount they look brand new too,top for hubby 5.something and puzzle and bracelet for me -spent 21.36
    then went to pluto and got 4.60 for my daughter-in-law from her clothing -they only took 1 top and a dress but I got a chaps brand new classic navy t-shirt with front chest pockets for 5.something Essie nail polish 1.60 oh and I have been wanting to buy this bunch of farmers stick for stains (hard to find)3.99-20% off =3.19 as I had a card filled from my previous purchases

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Still sick so starting to wonder if I might have to break down and see the doctor and get an antibiotic. Having called our provincial health link line and answered a gzilliion questions they have determined I am still alive(haha) and don't need to see a doctor today!! So basically just chilling in my jammies today.

On a more positive note, all my ancestor searching( assisted by DH and DD and practically every resident of the smal town we stayed in) this summer in England, finally seems to have paid off big time this month. I stumbled across 128 distant relatives( including the elusive one my Mum had been looking for, for over 7 years-my 4x g grandfather)-and also found that amazingly he was born on my Mum's birthday!! Anyway we are 99.9% sure after many false starts that we have finally found our man! We are busily verifying all these relatives bit by bit, and if all confirmed, we now suddenly have this branch of our family tree back 2 more generations into the 1600's-simply amazing.

This morning I was reading the will of my 6x GG written 210 years ago! Definitely has been a very rewarding 6 months of searching for me the amateur geneaologist-and all because by some strange twist of fate I ended up doing a house exchange a mile from where this 4X GG was born-but only found out about him after the exchange was booked! Maybe it is true as people say-"things happen for a reason".

My husband and I are both considering doing some online volunteer transcriptions on family search which is a free website run by the Mormon church. Although not members of the Catholic or the Mormon church, I am very thankful that the Catholic church in which my 4xGG was baptized in 1800 , recorded and preserved his record and that the Mormon LDS church has had so many volunteers putting info online. My DH has also traced his family from Wales to the US on a sailling ship that took 7.5 weeks for the voyage in 1842-good grief! I am sure that was a lot more difficult than hopping on a cruise ship in our day and age!! I remember when my family emmigrated to Canada in the 1960's the ship only took about 1 week. Anyway I think in general family history becomes more interesting as we get older-as does studying our pension statements etc!
    JadeAngel, barbis9, Ciel and 3 others like this.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

-feel better lizzie
    -just popped over to my daughter-in-laws parents house to see her sister's new baby girl "Judith" she is such a tiny peanut 5 pounds 6 oz -she is in preemie clothing so tiny -ashlyn was all over me wanting to hug me kiss me etc
    -posted a few more items on kijiji -lets see if they go
    -had a late supper lasagna

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

My dad called this evening to tell me about his success hunting this weekend. He shot a calf moose and a young mule buck. He still has a couple of tags for other animals to try to fill. He was drawn for everything he put his name in for this year. My dad's FIL and MIL gave them a cow for free, my dad and his wife only had to pay for packaging the meat. Dad said I could get lean ground beef from them for $2.50/lb. We only have one package of ground beef left in our freezer right now. We have more steak (moose, bison, and beef) than almost any other meat, excluding bacon. Our freezer has a lot of frozen berries and veggies right now. I did some meal planning this evening and pulled out a package of bacon, a small pack of moose steak, and pork steaks. I want to make home made baked beans later in the week. I remember my dad making them in high school and they were so good. Too bad dad doesn't know where his recipe is.

edit: Just a reminder, my dad lives nearly 7hrs away so getting meat from him is easier said than done.
    Last edited by Angela273; Mon, Nov 14th, 2016 at 12:45 AM.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

@coupon girl -did Talize have a particular daily manager's special today? I seem to miss the days when pants go on sale or the 50%off clothing sale (usually after I've spent elsewhere). I was thinking of the Stoney Creek Value Village today-what I likely missed by not being there this morning.
    @lizzie bargain -you touched on two key points about ancestor records-that they are recorded somewhere and that someone shares that information online. Many churches of different ethnic origins and languages likely keep manual records. It'd take numerous volunteer hours and the ability to read those languages to post the records' contents online (assuming Internet access/computer equipment was available). I have yet to attend any library ancestor research days because I know I'd run into the language issue and I'd have to know which village church was the one used by family on father's side and the one attended by mother's side in their native land. Of course, I'd be assuming those places of worship are still active and even have an email contact address in 2016! Relatives on father's side have spoken about people and places but I never jotted anything down as I don't know the mother tongue very well and they were in another land (so not of interest to me as a youngster or young adult having visited there once).
    @Angela 273 -you may wish to see if Cdn Tire or Shoppers carry the key finder device that have the fobs to attach to the vehicle or other keysets (part of DH's gift). Then searching for misplaced keys might take less time! So glad you had a happy outcome in the end with the truck keys.

Did a second walk today-found 35 cents and some cans. Used the Lipton's Buy 1 Get 1 free tea offer at Sobeys where buying two teas (got the white tea peach & mango) on sale meant 3 bonus Air Miles; also bought two beverages to enjoy on the long walk back.

This month, the FPCs and coupons used total is about $20 to date-whoa!

Need to see in the grocery flyers where I may find 900g bags of pasta for about $1 each. I noticed my remaining macaroni (last of the 99 cent Primo pasta from Food Basics in late Sept or early Oct) got cooked for spaghetti sauce yet the leftover spaghetti in sauce in the fridge was overlooked. Rather frustrated that a family member is not checking for leftovers before using remaining stock.

No luck in finding the Walmart Live Better magazine today-my store did not even have the cardboard stand out at one entrance and there was nothing at the second entrance. Must have been a run on stock on opening day (Thurs) or yesterday (demo/sample day)! Also will have to check Food Basics for the Foodland Ontario calendar-it's not available at Sobeys (only the Seasonal recipe book is there) nor Fortinos.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

ceil -yes I asked what the 50% off deal was yesterday-ladies pants (not jeans unfortunately) and mens short sleeve dress shirts
    -gee still waking up at 5.00 a.m even went to bed at 11.15 last night later in hopes I may sleep til 6.00-no luck
    barbis9, Ciel, lilo0003 and 2 others like this.

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    Please don't stay up late for laundry anymore. Time for you to ready the hospital bag, get your sleep and let any laundry presoak in tub or machine then put on a cycle. Handwashing items has to wait until after you and new baby get settled into a routine. You need to put yourself first now.

Any chance you want to skip night feedings and try to get new baby to feed at 7am, noon and 5pm only and sleep through the night (no feeding but maybe cuddles)to let everyone get some sleep? I'm sure your dark chocolate and seaweed snacks will help you through the first few days when you get up at night to check on the baby.
    Oh, I wish! I stayed up for laundry until 3 AM last night, until LO woke up because I turned off the hall light. She is now insistent on sleeping with the door fully open and all six hall lights on, plus a nightlight. I'm annoyed that the daycare kids are running around outside, always pretending one of them is a "monster" and chasing others twice a day.

I think laundry is done for a little while at least. Now comes the massive folding that happens to clean all the mess! You'd think that having all your child's clothes laid out would be a time saver, but I had to clear the drying racks for DH's clothes last night. Next are linens for the new baby and some whites, perhaps.

I need the SC family to live closer to me perhaps.

Quote Originally Posted by lizzie bargain View Post
    Ciel- Although I agree with you it would be nice if newborns only ate 3 times per day and parents could sleep through the night-that is just not the reality! Perhaps I mis-read your post. With all due respect, having been around newborns a lot of late, the usual health advice( at least here in Alberta) is that most healthy newborns need to eat 8-12 times per 24 hours in the early days/weeks. Older infants/children usually eat quite often too with meals and snacks through the day. In my experience, few newborns skip one feeding in the middle of the night until at least 3-6 months of age at the earliest. When parents first say their baby is sleeping through the night I think they usually mean they went 5-8 hrs without a feeding. I do remember when my sister was born in 1970 most newborns were bottlefed larger formula feedings on a strict 4 hourly schedule, 6x per 24 hrs. With the majority of newborns now starting with breastfeeding, they are fed more frequently and often on demand.

Only 3 feedings per 24 hrs would lead to a sick and crying or lethargic infant with poor weight gain and child protection services would likely be called! As I am sure most new Mum's will attest, feeding is a seemingly non-stop and exhausting job in the first few months. Unless of course a mother chooses to partially or completely bottlefeed and share feeding duties with another family member or a night nanny. I do sometimes see ads for this, particularily when parents have twins or triplets. I myself have even been asked to work overnight but I always say No( except in extrememly rare or extenuating, short term circumstances.)

On a related note I was surprised to read the other day that, I believe it was the American Pediatrics Association, now recommends that infants sleep in a separate crib in their parents bedroom for the first 12 months of life. Haven't heard a similar staement in Canda-yet. Very interesting.
    I took Ciel's comments as 3 times per night at minimum. I think I finally went down once every four hours during the night beginning at around six months or the time when we were trying to get LO on solids. It didn't really work though, as solids were rejected for the longest time or at least it felt like it and she went down to a scary weight which had her monitored weekly. By nine months, LO was normal again and now she weighs as much as a child two years older. Our doctor told us to stop giving LO 3.25% immediately on her second birthday as she was gaining too much too quickly.

I heard parents sleep with the child for the first 12 months. Why would that be? Convenience for feedings? I think we moved LO to her crib at 6 - 8 months.

Quote Originally Posted by coupon girl View Post
    does anyone have an immersion blender ?? I don't own one -the stick ones for using with soup -my daughter-in-law wants one for xmas but not a high end model as she is only using it for soup or the odd smoothie -was looking at a hamilton beach model on amazon for 20.49 -I have been researching this to death ,so I thought id ask you ladies if you have one and the price range you paid and if you are happy with it -thanks
    We have a stainless steel Cuisinart that we received as a wedding gift. I've never used it, but always used the sturdy blender for smoothies. I think it was $50 - 60. The Bay erroneously told my friend that it was on our registry and there was no gift receipt. I thought I might use it for LO's baby food, but ended up borrowing a Beaba baby cook. Maybe this time!

@sweet sparrow has been on the go to the almost all year with herself always last after the others. Thus I offered that bit of info about three feedings only because she might get some real sleep in should the effort stick within the first three weeks. I'm rather hoping she has a relative who is reliable that can fend off everyone else in the first few weeks while the new baby and mom and family settle in.
    No nearby relatives. My parents are well into their 80s and DH's family gives them disrespectful looks, according to Mum. As for DH's family, I don't think I would leave a pet rock in their care. They are also far, which I have been really thankful for on many occasions. My own family gives me distance, but DH's side seem quite expectant that I will be travelling to see them for 1.5 - 2 hours in a cramped car for about a week after birth so they can see and hold the baby. I still remember DH's SIL swinging LO about, not supporting her head and letting it flop about everywhere. I told her that LO couldn't hold up her head yet, but I'm ignored in that family, as always, and it's frustrating as a mother. I'm annoyed with these people who continuously try to "sneak" (their own words) LO away to fill her with candies, or use language I don't want her to hear, or smoke and leave open drinks around her, or turn her into a zombie in front of the TV for hours. My mother disapproves of the way they raise children (zero supervision) but LO feels quite at home with them, to my dismay.

Rather frustrated that a family member is not checking for leftovers before using remaining stock.

No luck in finding the Walmart Live Better magazine today-my store did not even have the cardboard stand out at one entrance and there was nothing at the second entrance.
    @Ciel : DH does that ALL the time. It frustrates me too. But, I don't have to cook dinner. I just have to scramble to eat things almost going bad all the time, which doesn't seem good for a pregnant woman.

The WM magazines are out at my location, so I hope you get one soon! It's not terribly useful, I found, except for one page of recipes that we cook regularly with small variations.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    87 (97%)

While Value Village was staying open until 10pm (per my visit to local store 2 weeks ago), current sales promotion is for saving on used and new costumes-different discounts. I'm waiting for a clothing sale; a family friend gave me her donation card so I can get 25% off of next shirt or pants if I find something before the next 50% off sale.

Costumes went on sale for 2 days only at Party City Stores all over Canada. Party City has an excellent selection, not like Value Village or Wal-Mart!!!
    barbis9, Ciel, lilo0003 and 2 others like this.

momof5boys
    Trading Score
    509 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lizzie bargain View Post
    SS-I, like Ciel, hope you can catch up on your rest this weekend.

Ciel- Although I agree with you it would be nice if newborns only ate 3 times per day and parents could sleep through the night-that is just not the reality! Perhaps I mis-read your post. With all due respect, having been around newborns a lot of late, the usual health advice( at least here in Alberta) is that most healthy newborns need to eat 8-12 times per 24 hours in the early days/weeks. Older infants/children usually eat quite often too with meals and snacks through the day. In my experience, few newborns skip one feeding in the middle of the night until at least 3-6 months of age at the earliest. When parents first say their baby is sleeping through the night I think they usually mean they went 5-8 hrs without a feeding. I do remember when my sister was born in 1970 most newborns were bottlefed larger formula feedings on a strict 4 hourly schedule, 6x per 24 hrs. With the majority of newborns now starting with breastfeeding, they are fed more frequently and often on demand.

Only 3 feedings per 24 hrs would lead to a sick and crying or lethargic infant with poor weight gain and child protection services would likely be called! As I am sure most new Mum's will attest, feeding is a seemingly non-stop and exhausting job in the first few months. Unless of course a mother chooses to partially or completely bottlefeed and share feeding duties with another family member or a night nanny. I do sometimes see ads for this, particularily when parents have twins or triplets. I myself have even been asked to work overnight but I always say No( except in extrememly rare or extenuating, short term circumstances.)

On a related note I was surprised to read the other day that, I believe it was the American Pediatrics Association, now recommends that infants sleep in a separate crib in their parents bedroom for the first 12 months of life. Haven't heard a similar staement in Canda-yet. Very interesting.

Hope everyone enjoys the weekend.
    I was unable to breastfeed so all our boys were bottle fed after the first two weeks. Because I knew exactly how much they were getting, I was able to feed them every three or four hours during the day and usually they also very quickly (by six weeks) slept a 7 hour stretch at night. I would let them cry a bit at night and usually after a few nights they were sleeping soundly and this mama was happy
    Natalka, barbis9, Ciel and 4 others like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Last night, a small victory was noted-the last 2/3 cups of Minute Rice got used up! Added the rice and some cooked cauliflower to chicken bouillon (the Aurora cube & 2 cups boiling water) and called that my dinner.

As the Universe giveth, it taketh away. This morning, I found out in yet another argument about leaves that one parent has a yard bag stash only for bagging leaves off one tree. He has no intention in using the 100+ bags to bag ordinary maple leaves. No, I was even told I'm not to rake the leaves. Oh, I'm angrier than Yosemite Sam from the Bugs Bunny show. I feel the need to buy another litre of gas for a mulchfest 2.0 before the rain comes this week. He was not swayed that property standards or liability due to slips on leaves were reason enough to rake the lot off of the grass, walkways, ditches.

Good sunny and windy day for a long way, so I walked. Found 2 Monopoly stickers and several cans (gas money) plus a dime! While there is only one Vanilla prepaid MasterCard prize left unclaimed in the Monopoly game, there are several giftcards/sprees remaining unclaimed (yes, I've lowered my prize expectations). All 5 fishing trips are claimed, interestingly.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Frugal friends, I'm sharing some very sad news in my world with you...

My brother-in-law died this morning, husband of my second-oldest sister.
    He had esophageal cancer, diagnosed just about a year ago - went through surgery and many rounds of treatments, but it just didn't cut it.
    He got taken to the hospital on the weekend, and had not been conscious since then.

I'm numb, I think - and it's hard to not keep crying; it just doesn't seem real that he is gone, and I'm just heartbroken for my sister and their kids and grandkids.

My sister is 10 years older than me, same age as her husband (and my husband) - they were childhood sweethearts and got married in 1972. When my sister retired from teaching several years ago, he took early retirement from his job as an IT specialist (civilian) with the police service here - they have travelled, and have been enjoying their children and grandchildren. Their three kids and their families all live here.

So, cancer sucks - and a whole bunch of other swears...
    barbis9, Ciel, coupon girl and 3 others like this.

Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 ... LastLast

Thread Information