User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree140Likes

Thread: Food Bank Donations - 205lbs worth over $668 {VIDEO}

Trading Score
    87 (100%)

Nice of you Juliejolie to donate.This keeps me motivated.
    My kids want their class to get pizza party for donating more so they took out 2months to go( earliest Jan10 2017 expiries) cereals ,cake mixes,sauces, noodles etc from my pantry .
    Since I see you donating these many ,I don't say no to them.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    ROMEO, Ciel, juliejolie and 4 others like this.

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Forcing charities to ask for receipts before issuing a tax donation receipt is the CRA's way of instilling fear into charities by threatening their charitable donation status / number if they don't police tax payers. Charities lose out because people just sell their stuff instead of donating it because CRA already knows that MOST people don't keep receipts PLUS there are no receipts for gifts which means less donations for tax payers to claim to reduce their taxes.

Master Tax Preparer.
    Ciel, ticul, dededi and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    30 (97%)

absolutely AMAZING!!!!!
    Ciel, juliejolie, ticul and 3 others like this.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Awesome brag!
    Ciel, juliejolie, ticul and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    393 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by theexxx View Post
    Forcing charities to ask for receipts before issuing a tax donation receipt is the CRA's way of instilling fear into charities by threatening their charitable donation status / number if they don't police tax payers. Charities lose out because people just sell their stuff instead of donating it because CRA already knows that MOST people don't keep receipts PLUS there are no receipts for gifts which means less donations for tax payers to claim to reduce their taxes.

Master Tax Preparer.
    Interesting. Didn't know this. They called my donations "gifts in kind"
    ROMEO, Ciel, ticul and 1 others like this.

Subscribe to my youtube channel for weekly VLOG updates on deals, couponing, & price matching. Happy couponing!
    www.youtube.com/user/SavvyCouponingMomJ

Trading Score
    200 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by juliejolie View Post
    Interesting. Didn't know this. They called my donations "gifts in kind"
    Exactly. No store receipt required.
    ROMEO, Ciel, ticul and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

If you enjoy couponing, that's great work. Food Bank generally prefers money. They often get far better deals and tax refunds than we get from retail. And if they get money, they can buy fresh fruits and vegetables whenever they need. I think what you did is great, but if you had to spend extra time to get the stuff, it might be better to save the time and effort, and donate money instead.

Of course, we donate what we can. Time, Money or Stuff...
    Ciel likes this.

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Valerey View Post
    Exactly. No store receipt required.
    No receipt, no donation receipt and no claim on your taxes. If the charity gets caught issuing receipts for items that there was no proof of what the Tax Payer paid... The charity risks losing its charitable status and number. Ask any of their accountants.
    Ciel, ticul and dededi like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    154 (100%)

That's fantastic!! Good for you
    Ciel, ticul, SavvyLady and 2 others like this.
    Get Motivated, get Inspired, get FIT - Follow me ~ https://www.facebook.com/ForeverFITCourtney/

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    103 (100%)

AWESOME, AWESOME, AWESOME and more AWESOME. I love watching your videos and they are very inspiring. Because of you, lots of children will be happy to have cereals as they may not had any in a long time.
    Thank you for sharing such a great brag.........................................
    Ciel, walkonby, SavvyLady and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    167 (100%)

AM I the only one who noticed the bird at the beginning of the video? Lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Trading Score
    200 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by theexxx View Post
    No receipt, no donation receipt and no claim on your taxes. If the charity gets caught issuing receipts for items that there was no proof of what the Tax Payer paid... The charity risks losing its charitable status and number. Ask any of their accountants.
    I would hate for people to think they can't donate items they "purchased" through couponing, and reduce their taxes owing to Revenue Canada at tax time. You CAN donate your items, without an actual receipt and get a receipt for "Gifts in Kind" and claim as a donation on your taxes. Check with your local charity to see if they will issue such receipts and what they require as proof of value for your donation.
    Ciel and Lavender Lady like this.

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Valerey View Post
    I would hate for people to think they can't donate items they "purchased" through couponing, and reduce their taxes owing to Revenue Canada at tax time. You CAN donate your items, without an actual receipt and get a receipt for "Gifts in Kind" and claim as a donation on your taxes. Check with your local charity to see if they will issue such receipts and what they require as proof of value for your donation.
    In the last year every charity that I have donated to in the past is now asking for proof of amount paid (my receipt) for the items being donated. All animal / rescue shelters, Woman Shelters, Outreach Programs, etc require my receipt before they will issue a tax donation receipt. Food Bank here will give a receipt for $20 per banana box without your receipt regardless of what you put in the banana box. Habitat For Humanity, Kidney Foundation (car program) and others will issue Gift In Kind receipts without proof of purchase. I have extensively donated time, money and items to many charities over the last 30 years but as a Tax Accountant, I have also made sure to get the donation receipts that I am entitled to under the Income Tax Act. Things are changing. The CRA is getting very aggressive in "Assessing" donations as well as denying them unless they meet an extensive checklist of conditions. Not only are they putting pressure on the taxpayer but just as much, if not more pressure, on the charities for issuing donation receipts. I'm not trying to deter people from donating, just getting pissed about aggressive tactics by the government to 'shear the sheep'. Sorry, political rant, wrong thread
    Ciel and Valerey like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Amazing! I used to donate a lot more when my kids were in school, I would drop off boxes of things.thanks for the reminder!!
    Ciel likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information