User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: Man pays mortgage in 3 years. He's 30!

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

A 255000 mortgage is paid in 3 years, by a 30 year old man!
    He lived in the basement and rented the main floor
    He worked full time and had a part time job at No Frills, working up to 80 hours per week.
    He rode his bike rather than use a car and kept his grocery budget in check.

http://www.milliondollarjourney.com/...-by-age-30.htm
    This thread is currently associated with: No Frills
    macw1960 and walkonby like this.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Good for him. Hmmmm, but at 30 most men I know would like to be in a relationship, or married, and get a house with their spouse. It's not all about a house or money - just my opinion.
    macw1960, Shwa Girl and beckie.c like this.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

that is quite the accomplishment Shwa! He set a goal and stuck to it, that deserves some applause. There is always the other side to this though. During that 3 yr period he did work 80 hrs+ each week and had a pretty comfortable total yearly income from all his sources to work with. Having no other debt at all really made the difference here.
    He bought no new clothes for 5 years and I am sure he spent close to zilch on most other things. His social life, well?? who knows what he did other than sleep and work.
    When I read stories like this I know it in no way represents the average Joe, but I still tip my hat to the guy!

Now he has to be careful some gal doesn't come by and " latch on " to all his hard work!! ( just an inside private giggle )
    mulock, macw1960 and Shwa Girl like this.

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    321 (100%)

KD would not be my meal of choice for 3 years...apparently he ate a lot of it. Hats off to him though for sticking to his goal.
    mulock and walkonby like this.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever forgotten...Aesop

Trading Score
    254 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Natalka View Post
    Good for him. Hmmmm, but at 30 most men I know would like to be in a relationship, or married, and get a house with their spouse. It's not all about a house or money - just my opinion.
    In my experience I can tell you that many men that age are not even anywhere near ready for that sort of thing. LOL

HUH? YOU DON'T DO SWAGBUCKS??? ARE YOU CRAZAY?!

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Natalka View Post
    Yes. He's now planning some nice vacations and spending more time with friends. His and sibling was raised by single mother and she was his inspiration to being financially secure.
    walkonby likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

I think quality of life and time is also important. Spending 3 years living a low quality life ( when he could have had a good life ) is not worth it. These 3 years he is never going to get them back, irrespective of how much money he now has or if his house is paid off or not.
    Zonny, walkonby and tinambulance like this.

Trading Score
    5 (86%)

Wow. I have mixed feelings towards this. Im amazed heanaged to do this, but on the other hand i wonder if this a healthy thing to do.

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by walkonby View Post
    Now he has to be careful some gal doesn't come by and " latch on " to all his hard work!! ( just an inside private giggle )
    If she does, she has basement living to look forward to and potato and carrot dinners on date nights! Not to mention an engagement ring out of a Cracker Jack box. Then she might have to sign a prenup with all the net worth he's amassed! Only kidding (I hope!).

No, I'm sure Mr. Cooper has lots to spend now, after he splurged for more than a $2,000 wardrobe. I'm just trying to remember if he's the blogger that buys a loaf of bread each week and has a PBJ sandwich every single day for lunch out of washed and re-used Ziplocs. There's nothing wrong with that, but it is extreme living if you do it for years upon years.
    Natalka and walkonby like this.

momof5boys
    Trading Score
    509 (100%)

Wow, he is an example to all the young folks out there. You accomplish much if you just save. That should be the message people get from this. He lived like the days long past when people knew the value of a dollar and didn't spend it on wants. I'm sure that, now his house is paid for, he will loosen up and enjoy traveling and such.

I am blessed to be married to such a man. We paid off our home within 8 years while raising our family. Yes, we made sacrifices but our boys were none the worse for it and they all learned the value of a dollar.
    Last edited by momof5boys; Thu, Nov 5th, 2015 at 01:21 PM.

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

I guess if you think about it, three years is shorter than a university degree and we all did some budget living in those lean years! I think less than five years is doable, but more than five is a bit of a struggle.

There are things like saving for a wedding, new family, higher education, etc. in his future so he may have to do this again.
    walkonby likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

I think most people die rich and live poor. And after their death, their kids blow the wealth.

Trading Score
    27 (100%)

I think its so awesome what he did and really smart, but I also think you have to find the balance between having a great life now, and having a great life for future you. There are a few people that I grew up with that didn't get to celebrate age 20, so I do think life is too short to put it on hold. That being said, he sounds like a pretty happy and upbeat guy, as long as he is enjoying life, I think this is awesome!
    Zonny likes this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by momof5boys View Post
    We paid off our home within 8 years while raising our family. Yes, we made sacrifices but our boys were none the worse for it and they all learned the value of a dollar.
    Congrats!

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

His mortgage burning party video
    CrazyQT likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information