User Tag List

Page 10 of 27 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 ... LastLast
Like Tree2233Likes

Thread: December 2016 Frugal Chatter thread (all welcome)

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Happy Monday! Kids are happy here, snow day! Yesterday the youngest and his friend made $60 shoveling snow. Today they are taking a break lol
    Happy I have lasagna for my lunch today. Not going out in the snow and have tons to do at work so will work through my lunch.
    Have a safe day everyone!

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lizzie bargain View Post
    Well I just booked a flight to Toronto for a week in March to visit my Mum for her 85th birthday-so that will be nice. Will also visit my friend in New Jersey at the same time-got 3 flights on points and just pd $77 US total for taxes and fees so I am happy with that-all because when we were waiting at Chicago airport in the summer my husband applied for a free United credit card and got enough free pts for the 3 flights for me. I told him to definitely not get me an Xmas and birthday present as I love to travel and that is enough for me!
    That's terrific!!!
    Angela273, barbis9, Ciel and 3 others like this.
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Afternoon everyone,

Snow day here, dh still needs to get FIL's gift and our youngest's list is extremely short, so it looks like he will be getting some cash which I really don't like doing but there's no other options .

My folks came over yesterday, I told my mom I was not up to it a few days ago but she said don't worry will bring lunch, still didn't want them to come but decided that maybe it would be good for my mood. Well she didn't bring lunch which threw me into a spiral of moods (not a good place to be in). Not much better today but trying to put up a great front for the kids who are home.

And to make matters worse I'm hosting Christmas as my folks have no where else to go, I wanted MIL to host but I can't expect her to invite my folks so it's all on me. This would not be an issue if I wasn't feeling the way I am.

Wishing everyone a great day.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

It's a good thing that I decided to put obo and no holds on those items that I put up for sale yesterday. I have one pair of DC shoes and two women wanted them. The second lady offered me double my asking price, plus she wants another less expensive pair of shoes. $10 for the two pairs, vs $4 for the one pair to the first lady, both ladies won't pick up until tomorrow. I didn't buy any baby shoes brand new.
    JadeAngel, barbis9, Ciel and 3 others like this.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

well paid my mastercard in full from online xmas shopping 360.00 -nice feeling plus a few tops for me in there too
    =gee wanted to bake today but didn't get around to it had to call my credit card company over one charge -anyway it was worked out (the gap shipped separate-caused a bit of confusion on my part )
    -I shovelled half the driveway as it was heavy -then when hubby came in this morning asked him to do the rest -well he did a crappy job (sometimes men just don't think-lol ) so I redid the bottom of the driveway so he wouldn't have to gun his car to get over the few mounds he decided not to do -still need to do my 12 xmas cards to mail may get that done
    -oh so little time

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by coupon girl View Post
    well paid my mastercard in full from online xmas shopping 360.00 -nice feeling plus a few tops for me in there too
    =gee wanted to bake today but didn't get around to it had to call my credit card company over one charge -anyway it was worked out (the gap shipped separate-caused a bit of confusion on my part )
    -I shovelled half the driveway as it was heavy -then when hubby came in this morning asked him to do the rest -well he did a crappy job (sometimes men just don't think-lol ) so I redid the bottom of the driveway so he wouldn't have to gun his car to get over the few mounds he decided not to do -still need to do my 12 xmas cards to mail may get that done
    -oh so little time
    lol I had to "gun" my vehicle over the snow that the plow dumped there . My man left work this morning at 5am so no time to snowblow. He is doing it as soon as he is finished. Sucks because we are expecting snow everyday this week. I am ashamed to say that I don't even know how to turn the snowblower on.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

I have a second pickup for $6. It's making me want to raid some items from the shed to keep selling. The current items that I have up for sale were still I the house.

I just found lung out today that my dad and his wife sent us a Christmas card with a cheque in it for the kids. We usually put this money directly into their individual savings accounts. On occasion we split it 50/50 savings and a treat for the kids. Dh and I will discuss it after it arrives.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

I had a 15.00 pick-up today. DH was home so he popped it into thee mailbox and the money was waiting for me. SO far this year I have sold almost 600.00 between kijiji and face book. Considering that in the past I would have let it collect dust or given it to goodwill I am pleased.
    My last amazon order arrived so happy that went fairly smoothly. DS is going to have to deal with a return as an item arrived damaged. We have never had that issue before so hopefully its not a struggle.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lilo0003 View Post
    I had a 15.00 pick-up today. DH was home so he popped it into thee mailbox and the money was waiting for me. SO far this year I have sold almost 600.00 between kijiji and face book. Considering that in the past I would have let it collect dust or given it to goodwill I am pleased.
    My last amazon order arrived so happy that went fairly smoothly. DS is going to have to deal with a return as an item arrived damaged. We have never had that issue before so hopefully its not a struggle.
    If you don't get a resolution with the seller than contact Amazon directly - they were very helpful when I needed to exchange a damaged power cord and the vendor forgot to respond to my email. Also ask for a return label or to have your shipping costs reimbursed when you send the item back.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Did all of my returns today and got some free stuff at Sephora which was nice. Popped into Sears and found nice ornaments 50% off. Also was at Giant Tiger and picked up 3lbs of bananas for $1.68, Maple Leaf flakes of turkey, chicken and ham on sale for .99 cents a can, fudge was on for $2.99 and other items...I never seem to leave GT empty handed.

Wanted to ask everyone - I have frozen hot dogs in the freezer - any ideas of what I could cook them with to use them up? I would hate to waste them and really don't feel like eating hot dogs on a bun all week. Thanks.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Today was Value Village's 50% off clothing, shoes and accessories sale but with the sloppy snow, I skipped it (would have had to walk over snow on the road shoulders from plows). The event is today only so I expect in early January there will be another Club day preview before the sale opens to the public.

Finding it rather stir-crazy to be in the house today so twice I shovelled snow and lobbed some balls onto roof to encourage the rest of the shifting snow to boogey down to the ground.

If you have tea in the house and like chiffon cakes, here are two recipes that use tea-not sure how much cake your size tube pans will make (one recipe refers to 7" tube pan), but cake is cake!

http://www.justonecookbook.com/earl-grey-chiffon-cake/
    http://www.justonecookbook.com/green-tea-chiffon-cake/

I do not have loose leaf tea so I would suggest using the contents of available tea bags you have on hand. Chiffon cakes don't need icing, just adequate cooling time before removal from pan and slicing.

Plan on going to Shoppers tomorrow to get the Colgate toothpaste on sale for 99 cents if it's still in stock or
    look for the next sale toothpaste.

I have not been saying anything about Christmas as there is no budget for gifts, the event is in January and I'm more concerned about whether parents are having guests over next week or not for a dinner. No mention of plans for food, what is going on, etc. Mom usually does all the food prep and Dad just says this and that and maybe does a shop or two. But this event needs to end, they are older, sibling & I do not care for this event, and it's winter-like (we don't ski, skate, do community sing-alongs or open house hosting so things get dull/predictable after several years). Guests usually are thinking about winter break outings with their families and sometimes do not attend or there are other opportunities for them as they have to drive in 30-45min to get here. If there is snow or harsh weather-no evening visitors.

Social media-decided to let go of knowing what the generation of cousins after me is doing with their lives via their social media accounts (Twitter/Instagram). We are not connecting in real life and I am so aware of the passage of years and missed milestones/knowing each other/photos (if you have children, you have at least yearly school photos or maybe annual family photos; once those children are adults, only some recall the joy of exchanging photos with older relatives who sometimes "disappear" socially for various reasons (distance, life changes, hardships, health matters). Well, I win some, I lose some-best that I find what I can do with what I have and know with whom I do have in my lives (including the SC members and other online friends plus real life friends).
    @lizzie bargain -you know of United's recent change regarding carry-on baggage? No overhead bin use if flying Basic Economy and one personal item per passenger that has to fit under the seat. Good that you will see something of Ontario during your visit in March. Bring walking shoes.
    http://www.thespec.com/news-story/70...ited-airlines/
    @Angela273 -amazing that you were able to get a last-minute babysitter to keep your outing! Hope it went well-you may be good for her referrals and you may get priority status for future outings.
    @jasperandchar -are you willing to make Christmas more informal (no sitdown dinner but more like buffet style) to help with holiday plans with your folks? Or have your junior baker make a dessert table and you make one savoury dish or slow cooker meal? Just ideas to shift some duties around and keep the holidays easier for you. You definitely called the situation correctly weeks ago. Gift yourself for that call.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by barbis9 View Post

Wanted to ask everyone - I have frozen hot dogs in the freezer - any ideas of what I could cook them with to use them up? I would hate to waste them and really don't feel like eating hot dogs on a bun all week. Thanks.
    @barbis9 - weenies and beans casserole! This is how I make it, but I don't use measurements...

I use a 3L casserole dish for this.
    Finely chop an onion, add along with wieners sliced like coins in the dish. Add a can of beans in tomato sauce and mix together.

For the sauce, I squirt on some ketchup (3 T?), couple squirts mustard (1 Tbsp?), few splashes soy sauce (1 T), small handful brown sugar (1/4 cup?), 1/4 cup water; sprinkles of garlic powder, salt and pepper. Mix this all into the ingredients in the casserole dish.

Cover and bake at 350 for about 45 minutes.
    Some people like to saute the onions first so they are softer, but we don't mind the bite of the onions.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

-may try to get the car when hubby walks in at 10.00 a.m as he needs it back at 11.30 for the dentist-so may pop over to shoppers and bulk barn -want to bake more today and need walnuts
    -my daughter called yesterday we talked as she walked with Sebastian -he has to go back next Wednesday to hospital for a second ultrsound on his hips -from being breetch -I sure hope he is okay and doesn't need to wear a brace ,he is a fussy guy -so I told her don't worry maybe he moved the first time and they didn't get a great picture -who knows right ??

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Morning! No snow last night so we get a break from shoveling/snowblowing.
    Tonight DS and I wrap some presents. I have the tape and scissors ready on the coffee table!
    No plan for dinner but it is just the 2 of us. I will figure it out

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lilo0003 View Post
    $600 richer that's fantastic.

Don't even get me started on amazon....grr....good luck, it just a real pain in the ass. You need to ship back to them and then wait to be reimbursed could take 2 to 3 weeks.
    barbis9, Ciel and SassyAshley like this.

Page 10 of 27 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 ... LastLast

Thread Information