User Tag List

Page 19 of 27 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast
Like Tree2233Likes

Thread: December 2016 Frugal Chatter thread (all welcome)

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

FBM-I thought you or your sister were buying it for each other (blame it on anitibotic brain!) and that is why it seemed so generous and suddenly I wanted to be your newfound sister-lol!!
    barbis9, Ciel, lilo0003 and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

I will pop into Shoppers to see if maybe there is Life Brand bathroom tissue for $3.99 or better. If not, will see what Food Basics or Fortinos have on offer. Sidewalks are less slippery today so I'm relieved (one side of street was more rink than safe to walk while other side was more cleared for walking yesterday).

Enjoyed a mug of warmth-cinnamon spice tea this morning.

Will contemplate making thinly sliced & seasoned potato slices to bake in oven this afternoon. Would make for an interesting side to have with leftover fish from Monday.
    The community paper and flyer bundle had not arrived this morning so I will look through flyers to see what grocery needs are on sale this afternoon.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lizzie bargain View Post
    FBM-I thought you or your sister were buying it for each other (blame it on anitibotic brain!) and that is why it seemed so generous and suddenly I wanted to be your newfound sister-lol!!
    You would want to be her sister. She's the one with the $$$ lol.
    JadeAngel, barbis9, Ciel and 3 others like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

FBM-you are very funny!! DD seems to be having a great time-we barely hear from her-unless of course she needs $-lol. Today is her best friends 18th birthday so I jokingly told the mother that since her daughter was now an 18 year old adult she could put her in charge of my 17.5 year old-what could possibly go wrong?-lol. We all thought it was funny, except DD!!

Anyway they are wandering alone around NYC and then going to the Dad-s office to meet up with him. My daughter is very interested in seeing the art museum's there. I am sure they will be fine. Don't tell the girls, but the Mum downloaded an app so she can see where they are at all times-I know you are not supposed to spy on your kids but it seems to me if they want to be in NYC alone and it is for their protection in case of an emergency, it is not such a bad thing. We trust them, but you sometimes worry about others around them. Now that her friend's family moved to New Jersey just before she turned 18, the drinking age there is 21!!
    JadeAngel, barbis9, Ciel and 4 others like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

Today I made peanut butter fudge, dark chocolate fudge, and cheesecake. The cheesecake got a little over baked while I was caring for our teething twins. I'm sure it'll taste good, just a little dry. I made it to stop Dh from buying one from Sobeys to take to his workplace tomorrow morning...came up last minute again.

I did another load of laundry. Still need to do another couple of loads before we pack and leave tomorrow. They are forecasting a Christmas blizzard, so that might delay our return from visiting my family. We had a play date this afternoon. I was disappointed when they closed early, which I wasn't told when I called there a couple days ago.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Frugalbigmama View Post
    those with young kids can do all their shopping and get deals!
    I may have to disagree with this one, as I sit here immobile. One preschooler is in the room adjacent, lightly asleep, but won't sleep with the door closed any longer.

The other is a 13-day-old newborn and is asleep in my arms. With the two of them, I can't get out to get the mail or the doorstep to get the paper.

So, the big news, our new arrival came on December 10th somewhere between Natalka and Frugalbigmama's posts at 8 AM. She came too early to get to the hospital and was delivered at home by DH and LO. She may work in the medical profession when she's older. Completely not bothered by blood, needles, and the like. Even the quantity involved in childbirth. DH on the other hand, claims to have PTSD. The night I was in the hospital, he woke every hour reliving the experience and feeling rushed and tense.

So, at about 7 AM, I woke with what felt like a cramp. By 7:15 AM, I got up to use the bathroom. At 7:30 AM, I had no idea what was going on but I felt quite in distress. DH left to wake LO, thinking we should get ready to go to the hospital. He passed me the phone so I could time any contractions at 7:45 AM, but there were none, just a constant cramp. Then, I felt like I had to push. I told DH less than a minute apart and he dialed 911.

I was moved to the bed, against my better judgement, and the paramedic told him to get towels and string. Soon, I was told to push, and our new girl was born at 8 AM or 8:02 AM. As soon as she was out, the paramedics were storming up the stairs. Everyone says that they'd never be able to do what DH did, but when there is no plan B....

I've heard that the second delivery is faster than the first, but this is extreme! It's been quite busy, but we've had daily hospital and doctors appointments. LO #2 is very much below her birth weight and a poor feeder. She may have reached the turning point though, as we had quite a positive appointment today. We desperately needed it as DH is back at work and Mum is going home tomorrow. Dad just had a hospital visit and now has limited mobility.

Just an update on a healthy delivery!

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Congratulations, sweet sparrow! Wowsers, born at home - that's amazing! Glad that things are better for her! Hoping you are okay!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Well done SS-I was starting to worry in case you or the baby were unwell but I figured you were likely just too run off your feet to post!! Congratulations on your new wee daughter!! So let me get this straight-you worked until the 9th and then she was born the next morning? Amazing timing your little girl has-and very considerate of her busy Mum.Wish I was closer to come and help since your help seems to be dwindling. Take care and Merry Xmas to you and all other SC'ers!

P.S. I am sure FBM will run out and do your shopping for you today-lol.
    Last edited by lizzie bargain; Fri, Dec 23rd, 2016 at 07:34 AM.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

Congratulations Sweet Sparrow. My dh's co-worker had a similar delivery with their second daughter. She was fine and sent her husband to work for the day. Her mom lives nearby and had taken their first daughter for the day. This co-worker was home all alone when her fast labour started. She lives just outside of town, very close to a highway. The ambulance drove past her house and by the time they arrived the baby had been born. She delivered the baby girl all by herself on the kitchen floor. She had to get stitched up afterwards and they haven't had any more children since.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by momof5boys View Post
    Good on you for keeping the lines of communication open and knowing your limits.
    thanks, I normally don't say too much BUT when it's my health I've learned that I need to advocate for myself.
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

Wow SS that was fast and what a story you will have to share. I thought our second son was fast. We saved the parking stub of our entry into the parking lot and he was born 16 minutes later, but he was born in the hospital so not nearly the drama.
    We I am off for the holiday now. I do like when Christmas lands like this as three vacation days means I don't go back until January 3rd. We work a half day on the last business day before Christmas and new Years. I feel like everything is ready so now I can relax. I have one thing to bake but is super easy so no stress.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

@lizzie bargain wishing you a speedy recovery, sounds like things are improving slowly but well
    @sweet sparrow wowzers that was quick, congratulations to you and your family. What did you name her?

DH took yesterday off for ds2's last Christmas concert as he is off to grade 9 next year (where oh where does the time go?)

So I got ds2 the mini blender for his milkshakes and dh decided that he was going to get a Chocolate fondue fountain instead of the Belgian waffle maker, he wanted to choose a gift himself which is fine and works better for me, no stressing.

Dh will stop at LCBO, Canadian Tire for the choc. fountain and Cabela's tonight on his way home and then WE are Done just in time.

I normally don't splurge before Christmas but yesterday we got a pizza as a treat and I selected some beautiful Christmas decorations at Canadian Tire and if they go lower in price after Christmas they will give me the difference but I will admit at 1/2 price I'm already pleased. I got 2 gold oversized ornaments to hang outside the house, we stopped putting Christmas lights up a few years ago with the extreme hydro & delivery fees we pay for living rural.

Apparently there will be a change in January with respect to the delivery fee BUT I have not yet heard what it will be,however, there was mention that the delivery fees (rural) would be going down significantly which if true would be a welcomed blessing.

Wishing everyone a great day and stay safe for the those traveling the busy and snowy roads.
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Just popping by to say merry Christmas and best wishes for the New Year.
    I love reading this thread and seeing everyone's efforts to live a more frugal lifestyle. What a great bunch on here!
    Sweet sparrow, congratulations on your new baby, I admire your courage through the delivery and I am so happy baby is healthy and you are doing fine. I hope you don't get the post pregnancy rash this time, I am sure your life will be a lot busier now but in a good way!!

Lizzie I hope that eye is better, and you can enjoy the holidays!! enjoy your trip in a few weeks!!

Angela, safe travels to you and your family and enjoy the time away with family.

Frugalbigmama, hope you keep posting your great deals and boundless energy with us in the New Year!!

Nancy I hope you have a really wonderful Christmas and the the boys are thrilled with their gifts and the in laws don't drive you too crazy!!

Natalka, your positive posts on this thread are always so welcome, I hope Milan is recovering from his hernia and you get to spend lots of time with him over the holidays.

Coupongirl, I hope 2017 brings you a stronger immune system!! Your grandmother energy is amazing, hoping your new addition doesn't have to get the leg braces!!

Momof5boys, your simplified lifestyle inspires me, you will have a lot of mouths to feed over the holidays!!

Lilo, enjoy your holidays and an award goes to you for your dedication to packing lunches this year..what a savings!!

Ceil, thanks for your informative posts on your discoveries and walking adventures, truly enjoyable!!

Granger, wishing you a peaceful and happy Christmas, looking forward to your holidays and hearing more from you!!

Happy Holidays and all the best for 2017 everyone.
    Last edited by thriftygranny; Fri, Dec 23rd, 2016 at 01:36 PM.

momof5boys
    Trading Score
    509 (100%)

Sweet sparrow - congratulations!!!! Wow, you have been through quite the ordeal - take care of yourself and let your hubby do the work In the old days a new mom would be in bed for two weeks recuperating with extra help for running the household....my, how times have changed!

Big news here - another son got engaged and we love love that young lady....she already calls me mom - such a sweet person, incredibly talented and so humble. Our son is one grateful man to be sure. So thankful.

Just made deep fried croquettes from left over thanksgiving turkey meat taken from the freezer. Oh my, are they ever good - I may have to hide them in the freezer!!! Thinking of making more with the last of the turkey. Very easy to made, although a bit messy with the rolling in egg and crumbs.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Momof5boys-congrats on your son's engagement! I hope you did the math when you had your boys-if your 5 boys each have 5 children that will be 25 little blessings in the future!! However many they have will be a blessing! I used to babysit a family of 8 children and so far they are up to 13 grandchildren at last count. I am currently watching my friends 2 year old and 6 year old twin boys while they wrap gifts at home. DH has taken the big boys to the park and I just got the little ones down for nap-it is snowing quite a bit so lets hope she makes it back later to pick them up-or we will have a very busy Xmas-lol. She had told one of the 6 year olds the gifts were at our house-to keep him from tearing their house apart looking for them. When he got here he started opening doors, cupboards etc and I said Emerson what are you looking for-he said our gifts are supposed to be here. I told him I snuck them back into Mummy's van when he wasn't looking and she had taken them back home so I guess she will have to wrap them quick or hide them at the neighbours! Too funny the little white lies we tell about Santa etc at this time of year.

Another cute story-my 2 year old great niece was out with her parents visiting friends and suddenly the little 5 year old boy came running and said come quick-they went to check on her and somehow she had managed to get a fish out of the fish tank and was petting it!! Thankfully they didn't have to call fishie 911 and they got him back in the water just in time!!

Wishing everyone the best of the holiday season!!
    Last edited by lizzie bargain; Fri, Dec 23rd, 2016 at 03:49 PM.

Page 19 of 27 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast

Thread Information