User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree76Likes

Thread: Financial Times: Canadian grocery bills are set to go up again

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Brace for impact...

Canadian grocery bills are set to go up again, and it could be Donald Trump’s fault: report

Hollie Shaw | December 5, 2016 | Last Updated: Dec 6 8:52 AM ET
    More from Hollie Shaw | @HollieKShaw

A Donald Trump presidency could spell higher grocery bills for Canadians, according to a new report.

Food prices are forecast to rise between 3 and 5 per cent in 2017, says an economic analysis from Dalhousie University, above 2016’s price gains and above the generally acceptable food inflation rate of 1 per cent to 2 per cent a year.
    The surge will see an average Canadian family spend about $420 more on their groceries next year than in 2016, said agriculture expert Sylvain Charlebois, dean of management at Dalhousie and the report’s lead author.

“In our view, Trump could trigger the next commodity supercyle,” Charlebois said, referring to a series of measures that serve to boost the overall prices of commodities, part of a cycle that typically surfaces every 10 to 15 years. An increase in commodity prices could increase costs for food producers.

Add in a potential interest rate hike and a stronger U.S. dollar, the Dalhousie report says, and Canadians stand to pay even more at the till in 2017.
    The last commodity supercycle occurred during the Bush administration a decade ago, and Donald Trump’s promise to fund infrastructure projects has already helped to push up prices for iron, copper and materials such as cement.

continue reading...

This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    barbis9, Ciel and dededi like this.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

If Trudeau gets his way and there's a carbon tax, everything will be going up as well for that reason.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I noticed food is already increased in price.

Trading Score
    551 (100%)

Or we could just buy local

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk
    JOIN NOW WIN BIG in the Survivor Pool starting in the Spring
    Season 40 Winners At War
    https://forum.smartcanucks.ca/435852...a/#post7022499

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Poirot View Post
    I noticed food is already increased in price.
    When the minimum wage in Ontario went up on Oct. 1, I noticed that Woolite detergent went up in price at Rexall.
    Hamilton is going to increase the water rate by 5% and then there's the property tax rate increase (2% or so). Hydro will show 8%
    rebate but the carbon tax is said to be hidden in the delivery charge, come Jan. 1.

May as well decide what food items to give up so as to have money to cover the other groceries. There are some Canadian foodstuffs to discover (brand name or under store brands).

I know that food prices on imported items will be affected by currency exchange rates. If the food price increase is going to be placed on the new US administrations' actions after Jan. 20, then in the US anticipate that take-out restaurants might not have staff to work under the new labor secretary who criticized wage reforms in the US. McDonalds, the president-elect's fave takeout option, will know more living wage protests. No Big Macs for you in-restaurant or in drive-thru.
    Angela273 and Shwa Girl like this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Anna Michele View Post

I agree. That's a good strategy to keep the grocery bills down. Plus, the great deals that other SCs find and post in the brag section, helps us save money. Along with the coupon deals, and discounts from CO51 etc., will help save money too. Using up points for groceries also helps.

I noticed the article added increases for restaurants too. I guess there will be less restaurant trips for some families and more cooking from scratch or batch cooking on the weekends.

I'm optimistic that we will be able to find and share great strategies to keep our grocery bill about the same as 2016 spending. Looking forward to reading great brags to help with grocery costs.
    Angela273, Ciel, Poirot and 2 others like this.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

well....as much as I do try to cut food costs then we inevitably get hit with an unexpected vet bill. It happened yesterday ( again) and although we do budget for emergencies it just pains me to see a whopping $450.00 fly out of my pocket for 2 pets having diarrhea.

getting back to the rising cost of food, I know this year we will probably NOT be buying any Prime Rib roasts, which we looked forward to using our AM. But..... my AM balances are not as high as they once were and Metro has increased their sale price for the roasts ( again )

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    May as well decide what food items to give up so as to have money to cover the other groceries. There are some Canadian foodstuffs to discover (brand name or under store brands).
    I noticed the article talked about prices of products from the United States may go up. But we import from other countries too. Many have bragged about bananas bought at $0.39/lb to $0.59/lb. Right now clementines from Morocco and Spain are in the stores and they are at a good price. Frozen fruits were on sale for $2.88 per package last week and we stocked up. They are good until the summer. Frozen vegetables go on sale at this time too are a good freezer stockpile item. Loblaws ON has broth on sale for $0.99 and has a long expiry date - great for soups, stews, in rice dishes and with potato dishes.
    Angela273, Ciel, walkonby and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Another utility hike in the works-the Ontario Energy Board advertised that three gas companies, Enbridge, Union Gas and one other entity have applied to add $6-7 per month to bills to cover their cap and trade obligations. You have time to write in about this application. There is an ad regarding this application in today's Toronto Star:
    Enbridge Gas Distribution Inc. (EB-2016-0300), Union Gas Limited (EB-2016-0296) and Natural Resource Gas Limited (EB-2016-0330) have each applied for approval to recover the costs associated with their cap and trade compliance plans. The costs of the proposed plans would raise natural gas rates by $6 to $7 on average per month starting January 1, 2017 for residential customers. The exact amount of the increase will depend on the amount of gas you use and on your gas utility. Other customers, including businesses, may also be affected.
    To request intervenor status, you must file a letter of intervention with the Board and send a copy to the applicant. Unless the notice states otherwise, the letter of intervention must be filed/sent no later than 10 days after the publication or service date of the notice of hearing for the application.
    http://www.ontarioenergyboard.ca/htm...dex.cfm?id=217

The auditor-general in Ontario wants to see this charge as a separate line item but the Ontario government is not going to tell the OEB anything.
    https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...itor-says.html
    https://www.thestar.com/business/201...gas-bills.html
    Proposal to prevent hydro utilities from cutting off power to customers during winter:
    https://www.thestar.com/news/queensp...connected.html

Wow, is food shopping going to be tougher (and same with household needs & personal care items) with less cash. Like I said, choose what to give up on the grocery wish list.
    Angela273 likes this.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Anna Michele View Post

If only is that simple.

Due to our climate. It's impossible to grow enough fruits and vegetables for the population in winter. Even in the good months, there are things that just can't be grown here. Like your bananas and oranges.

There just aren't enough farming infrastructure, or people willing to work in primary industry. It would take a lot of deforestation and import migrant labors. It would be more expensive and devastating than importing.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Ontario does not grow almonds! So I'd have to buy those sparingly.There's a bag of plain almonds that will get opened soon after I post this!
    We all have food preferences-local producers might cover 0-50% of them (and the prices are not necessarily cheaper-it depends on season and stock) but the rest are likely imports due to preferred overseas brands or foodstuffs.

Union Gas also will have the carbon tax/cap and trade cost added to delivery cost next year.

In yesterday's Toronto Sun, I read that Torontonians can count on 5% hike in water rates and increase on garbage bin costs.
    Oh, and likely those road tolls for the Gardiner Expwy and Don Valley Pkwy too (plus suburban commuters using them as well). I'm sure companies delivering or shipping are going to scramble to minimize how often they use those routes or change delivery options ASAP.

On the water budget, residents will see a 5% rate increase. The increase means the average residential user who consumes 265 cubic metres of water a year would see their bill increased by $46 from $914 to $960.
    On garbage bins, the city will hike yearly rates for all four sizes. The smallest, which holds roughly one bag of trash, jumps from $17.72 a year to $30.49. By contrast, the extra-large bin price is up from $411.23 to $435.57.
    http://www.torontosun.com/2016/12/12...-a-full-agenda
    http://www.torontosun.com/2016/12/13...ves-road-tolls

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

In recalling my paid fast-food or takeout spending this year:
    I did buy one McTaster burger in Feb or March. Did not have enough to buy a meal deal and I recall going somewhere and not being able to buy something else because I bought the burger. Had a free fries due to Monopoly food prize sticker.
    I did buy one small hot chocolate at full retail at McDonalds.
    Wendys -bought 1 fries after shopping in October (was hungry)-not enough money to buy a meal deal. Had a cold drink at renovated Hamilton store after reopening (hot day). Did have junior burger before the renovation and free lemonade (coupon).
    Harveys-one summer shake in June. No meals or burgers despite walking past the place often.
    Starbucks-due to e-gift cards was able to get three food orders to go with minimal coins added to each e-gift certificate ($10). Got my free birthday treat and did buy 1 croissant on two separate occasions due to cravings.

Vending machines-some pop purchases at the college-$2.25 to 2.50 (price went up over summer) per Coke.

I do miss a Harveys meal deal.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Did see this week elsewhere online that someone noticed the McCafe coffees will get tweaked in the New Year to be more competitive or different from other coffee places. I'm guessing the McCafe sticker card program may be jumping the shark to save the company money. Hope I'm wrong but expect something to change.
    juliemadden likes this.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    87 (97%)

According to CTV News the increase in the cost of groceries is coming because Trump will start to crackdown on the practice of illegal immigrant agricultural workers in the United States.
    Angela273, Shwa Girl and dededi like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    Did see this week elsewhere online that someone noticed the McCafe coffees will get tweaked in the New Year to be more competitive or different from other coffee places. I'm guessing the McCafe sticker card program may be jumping the shark to save the company money. Hope I'm wrong but expect something to change.
    I Hope they don't get rid of the sticker program! My honey gets free coffee there all the time. We enjoy using the free cards on the weekend- I like using it for hot chocolate since it is almost $3!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information