User Tag List

Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
Like Tree2553Likes

Thread: January 2017 Frugal Chatter - All Welcome!!!!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

Darth Penguin's thread has put some things into perspective. I'm so very sorry for her loss, but it is also a stark reminder as to why Dh and I need to create legal up to date wills.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

I had this post written earlier, but then SC lost it. I'll try again.

I have something that I plan on celebrating later in the month, something that I reminded Dh about at the end of November. It will be 10yrs since the accident that caused my physical disability. I was a passenger when a car struck the vehicle, it took until July before I received the correct diagnosis and underwent 4 surgeries in 48hrs. There were many medical mistakes that resulted in permanent pain, along with permanent damage to my left leg and right lung, I am thankful to be alive. I was given less than 1 in 1 Million chance that I would make it out alive, let alone with my left leg. So I am going to celebrate my life. I told Dh that I want to hire a babysitter and go out with him. The problem is finding something appropriate to do in our small city. Going out for supper and a movie just doesn't feel right. Thinking about the steps in my recovery to get to this point brings back memories of the little milestones that I tried to celebrate along the way. Maybe we will go bowling (something that was initially to difficult and dangerous for me to do), or karaoke (I always love to sing, I sang karaoke on our first official date and it is something that I haven't done in a bar in a very long time). I'm open to suggestions and I'll continue to research upcoming events.
    Last edited by Angela273; Sun, Jan 1st, 2017 at 10:54 PM.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by lizzie bargain View Post
    Gas is up to 111.6 this morning- so I am glad we filled up last night-of course by next weekend we will have to pay the higher price!!
    Call yourself lucky our gas at pumps is 143. 9 and it's kept going up again and again
    Angela273, barbis9, Ciel and 3 others like this.

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Granger View Post
    Happy New Year. I went to bed at 9:00pm last night.
    I am quite jealous. I went to bed at 5:38 AM last night. DH was up looking after LO after that. Who was the genius that came up with the idea that newborns should sleep no longer than three hours during the night? My mother is of the generation that believes you should not wake a sleeping baby and insists that she had four healthy weight children. Oh well, I hate being hungry, so I am doing my best to push milk into the baby's mouth.

@lizzie bargain : I did ask the breastfeeding nurse if LO had reflux. She said she exhibits none of the signs of reflux. She is now rejecting her supplement more often than not now. I keep ending up having to put it back in the refrigerator, and she usually drinks it on the next feed. So instead of having four supplements per day, she's probably getting two.

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    Did some shopping-replacement umbrella at Shoppers (tip: don't use your extended umbrella handle to clear slush off of sandboxes or railings-that is how I broke one rib on a 14mo old brolly) and some groceries at Fortinos last night.
    @Ciel : Is it a good brand? I called the company that made mine a few weeks ago and they are sending a replacement.

@Angela273 : I find it amazing that you're raising three small children at home with the injuries that you've had. Please do celebrate all the small victories along the road to recovery.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Angela273 View Post
    Happy new year!

Something bad happened on Thursday, Dec 30. I've debated telling you guys, but I've decided not to provide details until I have had the opportunity to deal with more professionals. It is not related to our health, so there's no need to worry about that.
    Sending positive thoughts and prayers your way; hoping whatever it is gets resolution. Wishing you grace and peace.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Very BRRR here, ick!

Just need to pick up some essentials at SDM and a few groceries. So glad it's not much - but the veggie crisper is empty!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

SS-great to hear your baby is coming along with her feedings!! Hope you are catching up a bit with your rest this weekend, with your DH home. Feeding and caring for a newborn is definitely exhausting-hope your other daughter is adjusting to the big sister role.
    Angela273, barbis9, Ciel and 2 others like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Happy New Year everyone! Picked up my new treadmill yesterday . Today we take down the Christmas tree and put the room back to normal. Then take a gander in the freezer and plan this week's meals .

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

@Sweets parrow -Shoppers carries the Stylize brand and I've done well with the umbrellas (since Oct. 2015). It's just that I had used the umbrella as a snow clearer a few days before New Year's Eve in the closed but extended position, so was oblivious s to the rib damage until Dec. 31 rain/snowfall when I used the umbrella for protection (it was a windy night too).

I'm partial to prints of late so drivers will notice advancing "thing" or "flowers" rather than a dark blob of colour during snowfalls at pedestrian crosswalks. Some drivers are aiming to maim me-sorry, I like my legs too much. I did two umbrellas ago have a ultramarine blue brolly from somewhere else that I had for about 3 years and the wear showed. But the colour proved to be a problem at dusk or night-drivers did not see me too well in wet or snowy conditions.

Re: documents to protect families/finances-the estate lawyer from last fall spoke of powers of attorney (anyone 18+ should have one and update itevery two years-he said there's a reason in ON the POA kits are free in public places), contracts and wills.
    The family lawyer (another fall speaker) mentioned how what is recorded on a real estate deed determines who gets a home after the death of one of the residents. Tenants in common (does not pass house to other main occupant)or tenants with joint survivorship (this status allows house to pass to other joint property holder). Having your name on the deed whether married or common law is crucial in terms of property ownership. Those who live in common law relationships cannot assume they get their partner's home if the partner who owns the house does not put something in writing to pass home to surviving partner. Common law relationships differ from marriages that way. Same with cohabitation-thus why articles appear that couples need to have written agreements on who pays what, any provisions for the other in case of health or death matters and so on. Otherwise the lawyers can charge you $$$ to represent your interests in court.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

When I got maried in Alberta the house was already in my name-we did not immediately add my DH's name as he had the protection of "dower rights" in our province-we have since added his name( and in the meantime the land transfer tax was reduced by 50%) so that in case of death of either of us it automatically goes to the other without the courts involvement-we have the joint survivorship. But I think each person should seek legal advice/review the laws in their province or terriotry as provinces can vary and the rules around common law vs married may also vary from place to place. We have, of late, also been ensuring every time we get a GIC, TFSA, RRSP etc that we name each other as joint owner or beneficiary to reduce the hassle and legal costs to the surviving spouse-when we were younger we didn't think so much about this. I know some couples keep their finances separate, so this may not work for everyone.
    Last edited by lizzie bargain; Mon, Jan 2nd, 2017 at 10:05 AM.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

angela -thoughts and prayers are with you ,yes what you post day to day -you are a superwoman in my eyes

-well we had ashlyn sleep over last night she watched a tiny bit of "minions" the movie and then went to bed at 8.30 she was up at 7.30 this morning and wanted to play (wow a 3 year old is tiring sometimes)so at 9.30 packed her up and took her to the "flying squirrel" a trampoline park -waited in line for 50 minutes then in the door -funny how frugality goes out the window when I have my grandchild 10.00 for an hour plus pay for their socks -well son gave me them to use again (I feel for kids 6 and under should be half that price ) but she enjoyed it stayed an hour then off to mcdonalds for lunch -happy meal -grilled cheese opted for apple slices instead of French fries a better choice ,then dropped her off at her other grandparents so daughter-in-law could see her and take her home (all in all a fun day for her )

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Christmas has been put away. Cleaned out all my Christmas bin and tossed junk. So clean and organized for next time.
    Livingroom all cleaned....and my honey is painting it this weekend . We will pick paint colour this week, patch the small holes and have it ready for him to start Saturday. Won't take him long since he is an amazing painter. And we set up the treadmill! It was a workout moving that but all ready now! So happy!! We are popping out to get fresh fruit then figuring out dinner. Hope everyone had a great day!!

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

What a day we left at 9am and dh was in a mood, we got home at 420pm, grr....glad it's done and overwith I really had bite my tongue as I wanted to go ballistic most of the ride.....sheach.....

I did a small shop at Foodland, that's an expensive store. Then did my bigger shop at NF's got tons of pantry items for $114 so I'm happy given these are items we don't use daily so it will last I still can't get over the price of Vanilla extract the real stuff (not artificial) I'm grateful a little goes a long way

It sounds like our plans for tomorrow may change as it seems freezing rain is coming our way AND I don't go anywhere in that weather it's just too dangerous. AND to be honest I don't want to chance tomorrow to be a repeat of today with dh's mood and be in the vehicle for another 3.5 hours.

I will be completely honest I cannot wait until next Monday when everyone is at work & at school, my mood has been extremely low so I need to get back to my normal routine and have time to myself.

Wishing everyone a great evening.
    @Angela273 thanks for sharing your personal journey to recovery and living a very fulfilled lifestyle. You do some many things with your kids, cook from scratch etc. I hope you find something amazing to do to celebrate your journey so far. All the best and again thanks for sharing.
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

Ciel: unfortunately DH and I live close to 2 hours from the patents so trying to sell the stuff is not practical. My parents have done several large garage sales and had a few dealer in so they are starting to make a dent. DHs parents are not hoarders so they just have a lifetime of stuff but have made 2 massive relocations in their lives it could be worse. They are also 20 years older than my parents so have he longer to accumulate. I am less concerned bout them as thyme have purchased quality meant to last products that are classic.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Had a very frugal day today, I am excited to eat from the pantry and freezer this month and start fresh in February. WE had some leftover shrimp and halibut left over from our fondue last night so I made a big pot of seafood chowder, added a couple of cans of clams from the pantry, added some diced onion and potatoes and half pound of free maple leaf bacon, also used evaporated milk that was going to expire soon,It is freezing here today so it was a perfect supper.
    My husband and I finished going through his closet and purged a ton of stuff. He has to dress in business attire for work and he had some really outdated pieces he never wears. The closet is organized and tidy now. I collected all the mending I have been procrastinating about and have it in my sewing room and will start some hand mending this evening.
    My sister bought me a just because gift and it is a sous vide cooker. She has been doing this for about a year now and she loves cooking this way. It is very precise cooking and takes some reading. She is having me over for lunch and a lesson tomorrow. I am excited but I know it was very pricey and we never exchange gifts but I have been looking at buying one for a long time so I will graciously accept this nice surprise!!

Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread Information