User Tag List

Page 12 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 ... LastLast
Like Tree2553Likes

Thread: January 2017 Frugal Chatter - All Welcome!!!!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Planning ahead- Went for a walk around Walmart on my lunch. Kids swimsuits were just put out. Largest size in all styles only had 2 each in this size. Grabbed 2 suits for DS. For summer all h really needs in swimsuits (the ones he has now are getting small) and sport shorts. Going home tonight to sort his swimwear Will be posting lots of his too small clothes for sale soon.
    Last edited by Frugalbigmama; Mon, Jan 9th, 2017 at 04:24 PM.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

They are forecasting another 6cm of snow today. It has been snowing since I got up this morning. Believe me, you don't want to see the amount of snow that is on my front lawn.

I spent some time this morning organizing, taking pictures, and posting baby clothes up for sale. I haven't had regular daycare kids in 2 months and it is bothering me. I might have one new full-time daycare boy starting this month. His dad was very happy with his visit last week and how his son interacted with our young children, but I don't have a signed contract from him yet. He's starting a new job later this month, so the daycare start date revolves around his own work start date.

Our twins fell to sleep on the drive home from Pre-K, so they went down for their nap when we got home. We baked a batch of oatmeal chocolate chip cookies, it's a new recipe. I'll be going out this evening to put up new daycare posters, check on our friends' house again, and buy some stuff from Sobeys. The stuff from Sobeys will be milk, bread, 2/$5 eggs, and my 50% off offers for sausages, cream cheese, and frozen veggies. I still have a gift card to use towards this purchase. I have 625AM on my card. I've been waiting until I have enough to "buy" a $100 Sobeys gc each time before redeeming my points.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Gas supplier tech showed up just a few minutes after I asked brother why inspection tag says it expires on May 1. Tech looked at the furnace and had short chat with brother then left. Seems all is clear.

Heating season is considered to be Oct. 15 to May 1-period in which homeowners are expected to have furnaces inspected. Gas company actually does not require an annual inspection. But given the old furnace in this house, it was likely very overdue for one.

Ontario does have a law about smoke detectors and carbon monoxide alarms. Homeowners have to have them for each finished level of their homes. Rental units are supposed to have alarms provided by landlords. Not sure what renters can do if units are too high to access the silence button. I understand that some ventilation hoods over stoves in rental units might be noisy to operate during cooking but unless there is a window top that can act like a vent and be open during cooking, renters might find out if they have a photoelectric or ionization alarm by noticing if the alarm shrieks when you try to boil water or turn on gas oven within 30s (that would be the ionization smoke alarm from my experience.)

Homeowners who are seniors, disabled or on low incomes can access smoke alarms through fire halls in Ontario-there is a program that will provide them and installation free, but I'm not sure if the units have legible easy to read text with high contrast or not. The Hamilton ON program: https://www.hamilton.ca/emergency-se...-alarm-program

Those in other provinces or territories need to see what their various levels of government offer for smoke alarm assistance.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

@lizzie bargain -I'm sure you can have an insightful chat with the A/C repair person about how repair service in Calgary compares to that in BA. Wondering if A/C parts are sold only to tradespeople as is supposedly the case in Ontario (talk about monopoly but I guess the repair professions want to be assured OEM parts are used and can be relied on?). Rep on the empanadas meal-yum!

Romania is under a deep freeze along with some other Eastern European countries right now. But in summer, Romania could be fun if you were to swap homes?

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

wow that was fast got my shopping from the bay today (I just ordered on sat)
    -sleep pants are so comfy with dogs all over then -made with part modal and cotton -nice
    -new face cloth -may put in with a gift basket later in the year
    -short for Sebastian look tiny for 18 months -will show to daughter see what she thinks
    -hubby shirt looks huge -so we will see if it fits him when he walks in the door
    -nice pkg on a cold winter day

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Keeping receipts has paid off! I forgot I had a PC Pt offer on Ziploc containers until I was looking at my point offers today. I didn't scan my card when I bought the 5 yesterday for .94 each less $1. coupon (reduced to .94) so paid .61 total after sale price, coupon and tax. Received 800 points per package for a total of 4000 pts ($4) Score!!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Frugalbigmama View Post
    Started my baby box for my friend that is expecting twins this summer. Not the best deal but pampers wipes are on for $2.88 at No Frills. Used $2 off coupon x 4.
    Where did you get the $2 off Pampers wipes coupons? I have only found $1 off printable coupons.
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

I have a $13 pick up scheduled for tomorrow evening.
    Caddle Referral Code:

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

Sassy Ashley - I hope you keep to your "non-resolution" of putting your welfare first. You really can't be at your best either at work or at home if you don't have good rest, nutrition and "down time."
    Here's to all you great SC'ers
    Join Swagbucks and make $$$
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/avoncallingu

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by wendymac View Post
    Ciel: I could not stop thinking about the gas people and so I did a bit of research. The info may be known to you already but here it is in any case.

The United Way of Bruce Grey (where I live) has a "Utility Assistance Program" for those who are at risk of disconnection or who have been disconnected. http://unitedwayofbrucegrey.com/serv...tance-program/ I have no idea if United Way chapters in other counties have such a program, but it would be worth inquiring.

You might find information by dialing 211, or visiting http://www.211ontario.ca online. 211 helps find services and assistance of many kinds. As far as I know, that's province-wide.

The Ontario Energy Board has a "Low-income Energy Assistance Program" which "provides a one-time grant towards your electricity or natural gas bill if you are temporarily unable to make ends meet in an emergency situation." http://www.ontarioenergyboard.ca/OEB...ergy+Consumers --
    Thank-you for doing this, wendymac!
    Angela273, barbis9, Ciel and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lizzie bargain View Post
    Okay the truth is the downstairs AC is on the fritz-so sis and I are upstairs relaxing-she sleeping while we wait for the repair man to come-so don't envy me too much-very hot outside-feels like about 36-meantime I know DH and DD are freezing back in YYC. Just received a home exchange offer for Romania and seeing the Dracula castle but I think I will pass-just focus on one trip at a time. We have been eating some yummy empanadas-my fav!
    Hope you get a comfortable A/C rolling! How long does it take and with how many stop-overs to get to Buenos Aires?

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Did a late afternoon/early evening walk to shake off lingering tension and woowee-Value Village had several vintage wool pieces for inexpensive prices, if only I had something to wear with them. Fully pleated wool skirt with fushia/dark tone floral print was $3.99 regular price. I saw at least two pairs of black wool pants and another wool skirt likely from late 90s/early00s. There was a milk chocolate brown but more subdued shade boxy boiled wool jacket with leather like buttons-quick appearance in front of a mirror quelled the urge to buy it. Just not popping enough colour.
    Oh, my mind was having an argument over men's shirts. One red/white mini check was a casual shirt but a really generous size worthy of altering. Then I said to self-why such a small check? What would go with it? Kept putting it back. Saw two knit short sleeve shirts that could suit Dad if only he was not such a jerk about the gas appliance issues-saved my money. Saw a Hawaiian style print soft blue toned shirts with light orange tiger lilies-but Bro has too many similar blue toned shirts already and I did have a sizing issue with whatever I've purchased at retail before for him>back to the rack.
    Skimmed bedding-comforters, well either too subdued or one with reddish/orange tones was like a past comforter and that had some negative memories for me. I want popping fresh jewel tones and some vibrant pastels.
    The store visit was effective no-spend therapy. BTW, those 5 silk men's short sleeve shirts remain on the rack. There are more vivid shirts on the racks-one like black and cream and orange flames and some Euro-sheen shirts.

Found containers to cash in! Got latest issue of my favourite mind candy, First for Women magazine at Walmart. Cashed cans in, then off to enjoy the library and chat with a friend. Top Dogs for $2.99 at Fortinos-late dinner!

Day 49-you are DONE.

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

We're up late watching the National College Football Championships which are being played in Tampa tonight. When they go to the blimp shot, we can see the part of Tampa which was VERY familiar to us when we lived there 12 years ago for a while. Also we have visited DH's son who lives in Tampa many times, so it feels like a second "home" - especially to DH.

A piece of information to people who are married to spouses who receive a Social Security pension from the US. I just found out LAST WEEK - that the other spouse (that being me) can ALSO receive Social Security if they are pension age in the US and are retired. (As can FORMER spouses - which I find odd - very odd) but I called directly to the Social Security office just across from Sarnia. I have to get over there in the next couple of weeks to apply as it is NOT retroactive and I'd like to get credit for January before February rolls around. It takes about 3-4 months to get it processed but it goes from the date you applied. It does NOT affect the Social Security pensions that the US earning spouse is receiving. The spouse (being me) does not even have to have WORKED in the States.

It is also in ADDITION to any survivor Social Security pension that one might qualify for.

This is my current understanding but I will keep you posted. You DO have to file a US income tax report, however. Since I will have to do so anyway (due to the survivor pension for which I will potentially apply in the future.)
    Last edited by avoncallingu; Tue, Jan 10th, 2017 at 12:05 AM.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

ACU-AC still not working downstairs but we will board the ship today so should be cool there. It took me 17 hrs from Calgary with one stop in Houston for 3 hrs. You can also go Calgary-Toronto-Santiago-BA but you have to 2 stops and also get off the plane in Santigago for an hr when you are tired-no thanks. There are no direct flights from Canada that I know of-bummer. But I slept on the long haul from Houston so no problem. Although I flew the same day as the Ft Lauderdale mass shooting and seeing that as breaking news in the terminal before leaving Calgary was sad and scary-people on my first flight were transferring to FLL and their flights were cancelled. I know there were a lot of flight cancellations in the US too due to weather so I was lucky to arrive with no delays or problems. My sister had flown back 4 days earlier and her husband was sick on the flight which had so much turbulence descending through a rain storm that his glasses flew out of his pocket 3 rows back! I am optimistic my good luck will continue. Of course sailing around Cape Horn on Jan 22 could be a bit rough!!! Nothing a little sea sickness pills can't handle-I hope!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Angela273 View Post
    Where did you get the $2 off Pampers wipes coupons? I have only found $1 off printable coupons.
    Not sure, had them awhile. I always try and cut/sort coupons ASAP and put in my coupon box. No baby but since I knew my friend was trying I have been keeping baby coupons

Page 12 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 ... LastLast

Thread Information