User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree550Likes

Thread: And so I am a widow

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Mr P died in the early minutes of 2017...

I need practical advise regarding legal and such-like stuff...

And tissues...
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Horndogg, 22hicks, Lynn49 and 4 others like this.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    162 (100%)

So sorry for your loss.
    Skippy, 22hicks, Lynn49 and 6 others like this.
    Zoombucks are back: Please consider using my link to sign up again: https://zoombucks.com/?ref=IIHO0L

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Oh, Darth, I am so very sorry - my heart breaks for you and your children.

I have no words....

Skippy, 22hicks, Lynn49 and 7 others like this.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Darth, I am truly sorry for your loss and the losses of your children. I am committed to trying to help.

The first thing I can think of is the trouble with joint accounts. In Quebec, joint accounts are frozen upon on joint holders passing.

If all your accounts are joint I would extract enough cash for at least 3 months before the bank locks them down, if you can. After that point they will allow funeral and estate expenses to go through, but not daily living expenses, until ownership of the account is settled, as I understand things.

If there is anything I can help you research, please let me know.
    Skippy, 22hicks, Angela273 and 9 others like this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lecale View Post
    Darth, I am truly sorry for your loss and the losses of your children. I am committed to trying to help.

The first thing I can think of is the trouble with joint accounts. In Quebec, joint accounts are frozen upon on joint holders passing.

If all your accounts are joint I would extract enough cash for at least 3 months before the bank locks them down, if you can. After that point they will allow funeral and estate expenses to go through, but not daily living expenses, until ownership of the account is settled, as I understand things.

If there is anything I can help you research, please let me know.
    Darth, a meeting tomorrow with your bank's Financial Planner or advisor is a must...our DD, an FP, handles all such matters for her clients and works with banks, lawyers etc to facilitate everything financial her clients need.
    Skippy, 22hicks, Angela273 and 7 others like this.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

wow, to have to think about the legalities so early on seems terribly cold, but that is what you must do now. Good advice from lecale and Lynn, I have no experience regarding anything to do with with, but I offer my condolences just the same.

babies teach us acceptance

Scottishgal
    Trading Score
    480 (100%)

I'm so sorry for your loss.
    Skippy, 22hicks, Angela273 and 6 others like this.

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

So sorry for your loss, Darth.

Others have mentioned anything I can think of but the banking is a big one and while not something you should have to think of right now, something do to ASAP. I know when my mum died, most of the bills and accounts were in my dad's name and getting them switched was a headache. The hydro company for example saw her as a new customer and wanted a large deposit or they would shut off the service while she could have just kept paying it under his name for a while and they would not have known. So a financial planner to help you navigate these things can really help.
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

So sorry for your loss
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Deepest condolences - losing a partner is so very hard - you've received some excellent advice and your funeral home may also be able to help with a lot of the paperwork

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

When my father passed away the funeral director really helped out my mom. The bank (in Quebec) put half on the joint account money in a separate estate account, but I would take out some as previously suggested to last awhile. Hydroquebec was a pain in the butt (they wouldn't send my mom a bill because my dad owed $5.) so keep an eye on them.I am really sorry for your loss.
    Skippy, 22hicks, Angela273 and 8 others like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I'm so sorry for your lost, Darth

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

Oh my God Darth Penguin, I am so very sorry, my friend. I wish I could give you a REAL hug!

As far as advice. sadly, you will need lots of copies of the death certificate. You may also have to prove you are legally the executor of his estate, so copies of his will are essential.

If his passing can be deemed in any way accidental, you would need a coroner's report to pass on to your insurance company. My mother, for example, died from complications of a fall and it was deemed accidental. You might talk with the doctor about this.

My advise is to find yourself an "executive assistant"- someone in your family or a friend who help with all the running around things and be the central "spokesperson" - not legally, but, logistically.

I would contact someone at your children's school so that they can help set up supports for them when they return next week.

CCAC May be able to help you out with a social worker who knows about dealing with all the ins and outs - they have been very helpful for us. Perhaps your own doctor can help you with a little "sleep aide" or something to help with the stress.

Oh, my dear, all my supportive thoughts coming your way.

A funeral home can help you with all the details.
    Skippy, Natalka, 22hicks and 11 others like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Sorry for your loss. We had a friend pass away before Christmas and I recall my mother saying something about a widow's pension for the spouse. Not sure if it would apply or not, but something to look into for added income.

the beautiful Richelieu River Valley area of Quebec
    Trading Score
    73 (100%)

so so deeply sorry for your loss. God bless you and your family and have courage.

If you have a joint account, Go to the bank as soon as possible and withdraw enough money for your living expenses for several months. If you dont have for several months, take out as much as you have. I was in charge of my mothers banking when she passed away and i didnt know this. I was told at the bank when i went to let them know that she died. The teller was kind enough to tell me to withdraw all the money because it would be frozen. And thats what i did over several days. Then i officially informed the bank that she passed away.

In Québec, usually the funeral home will handle all the transfer of papers for a fee (sometimes included in the funeral arrangements) or if you are able, then do them yourself. Yes it will take some ofyour time and its not somethign that you want to think about. The sooner its done the better for you. Hydro Québec and Bell Canada can be pains in the neck, especially if you are transferring in your name. My suggestion to you would be to leave those things until the last. Just pay theose bills as they come in. If your husband had credit cards in his name, then the estate will pay those debts first and any other debts he has. That will be paid first.

If your hubby had a will, things will be easier, if not, well then it will take a bit longer. When my MIL passed away in Ontario, she didnt have a will and we had to wait 1 year for probate and all her bills were paid by the estate, including property taxes, etc.

As far as income taxes that have to be filed, from what i understand in Québec since your hsband passed away in early hours of 2017, he can claim for the whole year of 2017. I dont know if that helps but maybe its the same across Canada.

Government agencies are there to help, you can call them anytime and ask. That`s what i did and they were helpful. But remember to ask at the funeral home if they do transfer of papers, etc. And make sure you get several copies of the death certificate. You will need it.
    Skippy, 22hicks, Angela273 and 8 others like this.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information