User Tag List

Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast
Like Tree2287Likes

Thread: February frugal chatter-all welcome!!!!

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Coupon toss day-those McDonald's offers on printed coupons expire today. Rubbermaid takealongs expire today.
    Schweppes buy 2 cases and save $2 expires tomorrow.
    Last edited by Ciel; Mon, Feb 6th, 2017 at 10:54 AM. Reason: wrong coupon dollar off amount-sorry!
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

[QUOTE=Ciel;6741398]
    Gail Vaz-Oxlade had a Stay Healthy with a tight food budget article in Monday's Smart Money section of the Toronto Star. Could not find the item online so I made a photocopy of the article yesterday. She allows $50 per person per week but in winter fresh produce is more costly.
    She advises *shopping the sales (we do) and recommends a dozen eggs for their protein and filling nature. She suggests have $20 as a float in the budget to take advantage of specials that save you money over the month. Peanut butter is one example-she'll buy 4 jars on sale at $2.49 each. (Now peanut butter is something some households can eat but not in nut-free or peanut-free homes.)
    *Use everything you buy-older veggies go into stews; chicken bones are used to make stock (not something I do as I rarely buy chicken meat to cook). I know there are SCers who do make stock in batches for soups and covering meals for a period of time.
    *Look for alternatives-beans for protein or one pack of sausages that you cook one at a time for your meal for flavour.
    *Invest in healthy staples-peanut butter, oatmeal, rice, chickpeas and pasta are budget stretchers.
    *Cook ahead-well, that happens when possible (time, resources, have ingredients on hand).
    *DIY-don't buy prepared foods ever-chop your own produce.
    *Add variety-mussels or fish stock from leftover shrimp tails/fish skins and bones (never have done this as I'm not a shellfish eater).
    *Keep your eyes on the size-eat recommended size portions and slow down to enjoy the food. (Hard one most days but sometimes this works!)
    She ends with sticking with fruits and veggies and eliminate most of your meat.

/QUOTE]

Thanks for sharing I thought she dropped off the face of the earth as there are no new tv shows, only repeats, I still watch them.
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

@Angela273 enjoy your special day

Good Afternoon,

I forced myself to make dessert as the kiddos are a grandparents next door playing Dungeons & Dragons with their uncle.

I have a Cinnamon bun cake in the oven, I haven't make it in a very long while and it's really sweet and decadent so hopefully it does the trick.

I have 2 pork tenderloins marinating, I will pop in the oven later this afternoon as they cook up real quick.

I need to make my meal plan for the week, I'll post later AND if anyone want's to share there's for inspiration that would be appreciated.

Wishing everyone a great afternoon & evening.
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Happy Birthday Angela
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

Happy Birthday @Angela273 !

We used a to-expire McDonald's coupon today. Kids had fallen asleep in van after church. One was not feeling well (earache) and the LO needed to nap, so we thought we would go for a drive. Lunch was take out at the end of the drive as it was 2:00pm, two hamburger happy meals with apples and milks to split between the three girls; a jr chicken for me (I had some veggies with it from the fridge as I am trying to behave) and DH had a nugget meal (coupon). Because we added the coupon at the payment window, after the drive-thru order, we saw the difference in price...$3.

It's a treat, but lunch for $18 for a family of 5 is not bad!
    Last edited by Granger; Sun, Feb 5th, 2017 at 04:02 PM.
    "There are more important things--friendship and bravery...."
    -Hermione Granger

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

Dh left his hockey skates in his truck, which is still in the shop. Well, no skating today then. He'll have to make up for it next weekend.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

-happy birthday angela

-well we had a great night last night at kelseys -saved 14.99 off one meal with the cpn (buy 4 entrees one is free cpn)hubby's wings were free and we split the bill with friends ,then this morning up and out the door at 7.15 a.m to go visit my daughter and Sebastian -we had breakfast out -so it was not that frugal of a weekend but hey we don't go our that much so it was nice
    -Sebastian was so good we watched him roll over on his mat a few times -then he gets frustrated as he cant roll back -he makes a bit strange with some women always watching my daughter's movements -but he knows his nana's voice that's for sure -lol got home at 2.00 pm we both had a nap and now we are off to babysit ashlyn at 6.00 so my son and his wife can go out to watch the superbowl with friends

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Laundry all folded and put away. Christmas 2017 pulled from dresser and hiding spots and put in Rubbermaid bin. I bought new sheets for my bed today. Will tidy my room tomorrow night and put them on then. Bought some Valentines stuff today. Will finish up this week since I will be busy on the weekend and don't want to wait till the last minute.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

You busy, busy bees!

I'm still terribly sick...

@Angela273 - wishing you all the best!

Last edited by Natalka; Sun, Feb 5th, 2017 at 05:56 PM.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Decided to double the batch of cream of carrot soup-had one lot of carrots already chopped and sliced from earlier in week so got the other lot prepped. So satisifying to watch 1/2 cup of butter melt to saute the onion (1/2 of one), 2 cloves of garlic and well, the chopped yellow pepper (substituting for the potatoes but the peppers were to be added in with carrots). Must admit I ate a lot of soup. This one is great with Goldfish or regular salted crackers. Tarragon aroma was perfect and the sunny orange yellow colour made me think of Eaton's Uncrates the Sun that occurred around this time of year (more epic than Valentine's Day for me).

Had to get some sweets and staples at Shoppers. Had loaded the 20X Optimum points offer wus $25 and of course the 600 pts for Twizzlers (I play the Optimum Millionaire game daily so loading all the coupons gives an extra play on top of the daily 10 bets). Had to spend a few minutes figuring out how the 20x points worked out. Basically:
    Subtotal is $26.91; total is $29.50.
    Regular points=260 (yes, that goes with the subtotal $26.91 amount of 10 pts per $1 spent)
    Total points earned today=5800 (that would be based on the total of $29.50 so 290 x 20).
    Now how did that Digital Bonus Points total of 5540 get determined (it is the difference between regular and total points)?

I got my Twizzlers 600 pts (one of the digital epromo numbers printed on receipt)
    The Digital epromo for 20x is 5540-600=4940. (those two digital epromo numbers were printed before the subtotal and together they equal 5540 pts.).Gosh, no triple points on regular points or the Twizzlers. So I did get two Optimum offers used but the 20x bonus takes out the regular and other e coupon bonus pts out of calculation for 20x points. Good to know.
    First time using this coupon this year.

Shoppers first aid aisle carries Procure gel at $18.99 (I was curious if it was on the shelf)! Whoa-I can see why someone may want the senior's 20% off discount on Thursady or use up redemption points to buy it at the store.

My store only has one flavour of All Bran bars (honey nut). I'll see if another food store location has chocolate chip or the orange cranberry bars as I'll be going out with Mom on Tuesday (she's hoping that freezing rain won't fall when we go but I know better). Also could not find the Q-Tips 170s ct. for $2.99. No Coca Cola Life case for $3.49 so took a Coke 6pk pop for $2.49. Just want to have some things in the house when the weather turns lousy. Plus noticed Shoppers has 4 kinds of Campbells Healthy Request soups on sale for $2.49-got two of them to try. Seems only the US gets the Roasted Chicken with vegetables version but if SCers see it in their grocery store, tell me which one (it is not at Fortinos as I checked the Upper James location last weekend and Healthy Request was not included in the Chunky soup sale).

I really wanted to buy the eggs for $1.88 but they would not have made the trip home intact (heavy bag plus a pkg of Royale bathroom tissue under an arm). Will have to wait to bake later in the week with $1.99 eggs from another store.

Shoppers has Lysol wipes 2 for $6. Longos Ancaster has the same brand of wipes(35ct) on sale for $1.99 if you are interested (until Thursday)! There are sniffles and sneezes in the house and I intend to wipe down faucets and handles (otherwise I'll get the rubbing alcohol out-speaking of which-the 70% bottle at Fortinos is on sale for $2.49 this week for 500ml).

Have a library copy of the Secret Life of Pets to watch tonight and I'll pop some popcorn and toss in some wasabi seaweed snacks (torn into pieces) to spice up the snack. Was thrilled to see the SC Blog post that Kubo and the Two Strings will be a family movie during March Break for $2.99. Have to see if that is available at the SilverCity theatre-have yet to see it. Have to see if the Super Bowl game is online as I'd like to see who sings with Lady Gaga this year.

Extra Sunday night treat for spring clothing shoppers-sneak peak movie for Uniqlo's IDLF collection for women-Spring 2017!
    https://www.uniqlo.com/us/en/women/i...-la-fressange/
    The clothing is available through the US online store or 3 US stores. Hope it arrives in the Toronto stores later in February.

BTW, White House Black Market has an embroidered white spring coat with double breasted front (silver buttons). Over $200 but it looks snazzy. Helps if you are signed up with their loyalty program and get codes for discounts on new merchandise.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

[QUOTE=Angela273;6741479]Dh left his hockey skates in his truck, which is still in the shop. Well, no skating today then. He'll have to make up for it next weekend.[/QU. HAPPY BIRTHDAY ANGELA !! Have wonderful bday with family and friends.. Take good care yourself

Name:  IMG_0654.GIF
Views: 106
Size:  96.5 KB
    ROMEO, Angela273, Ciel and 2 others like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by coupon girl View Post
    -went to shoppers today -got a few items on sale ,and clearance quo items too got 20 times the points for spending over 40.00(personal offer)got gas for hubby -so darn cold out
    -so just chillin til we go out for supper -oh may return the 2 items to the bay on our way out -as its on the way
    what items did you get from QUO? I am thinking of getting the bronzer that is reduced to $5.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

[QUOTE=jasperandchar;6741431]
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    Gail Vaz-Oxlade had a Stay Healthy with a tight food budget article in Monday's Smart Money section of the Toronto Star. Could not find the item online so I made a photocopy of the article yesterday. She allows $50 per person per week but in winter fresh produce is more costly.
    She advises *shopping the sales (we do) and recommends a dozen eggs for their protein and filling nature. She suggests have $20 as a float in the budget to take advantage of specials that save you money over the month. Peanut butter is one example-she'll buy 4 jars on sale at $2.49 each. (Now peanut butter is something some households can eat but not in nut-free or peanut-free homes.)
    *Use everything you buy-older veggies go into stews; chicken bones are used to make stock (not something I do as I rarely buy chicken meat to cook). I know there are SCers who do make stock in batches for soups and covering meals for a period of time.
    *Look for alternatives-beans for protein or one pack of sausages that you cook one at a time for your meal for flavour.
    *Invest in healthy staples-peanut butter, oatmeal, rice, chickpeas and pasta are budget stretchers.
    *Cook ahead-well, that happens when possible (time, resources, have ingredients on hand).
    *DIY-don't buy prepared foods ever-chop your own produce.
    *Add variety-mussels or fish stock from leftover shrimp tails/fish skins and bones (never have done this as I'm not a shellfish eater).
    *Keep your eyes on the size-eat recommended size portions and slow down to enjoy the food. (Hard one most days but sometimes this works!)
    She ends with sticking with fruits and veggies and eliminate most of your meat.

/QUOTE]

Thanks for sharing I thought she dropped off the face of the earth as there are no new tv shows, only repeats, I still watch them.
    She has come out with a new book which I saw at Costco.....but I will reserve it at the library. Thanks for posting the tips!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Gail Vaz-Oxlade had a Stay Healthy with a tight food budget

http://gailvazoxlade.com/blog/archives/3429

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

I don't expect much for my birthday, but this one sort of sucked. As usual, I could use more sleep. Baby boy was even more sick today. His poops are being very acidic and quickly burns his skin, which is new since his immunization. He's been screaming in pain and he puked on me once this afternoon. I mended theee items of clothing for our son, I need to buy red thread before I can mend his other shirts. I folded and put away two loads of laundry. I cooked chicken drumsticks, rice, Romaine salad, and sugar snap peas for supper. My migraine continues to be bad, but flared up today. Dh suggested that I take our son to BP for my birthday cake, but our son didn't want to go. Dh suggested Tim's instead, but he only wanted to go with Dh...not with me. I've received some birthday wishes by text and on SC.

I encouraged our son to make me a birthday card this evening because he didn't want to make me one earlier in the week. It turned out cute. He wrote "mom" and his name inside without having to copy my letters. It has flowers, a picture of me, and a drawing of my hand. It's the only actual gift that I received this year. Dh and I have a date planned for next weekend, just waiting to find out the show time for the movie. We haven't had a babysitter in two months. We didn't celebrate in January, so now we'll go on a date between my birthday and Valentine's Day.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread Information