User Tag List

Page 14 of 32 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 24 ... LastLast
Like Tree2287Likes

Thread: February frugal chatter-all welcome!!!!

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

unexpected snowy day here, but the older son had to work so I needed to venture out. I bought no groceries this weekend. I need my kids to look beyond the easy food when they are hungry and use up what we have, so this week they can eat the apples & oranges left over or have no fruit. Neither of them takes a sandwich to school so no bread is needed. We will need milk, but its cheapest at Costco so I will stop on my way home. I am able to run in and grab only what I need so no temptations. I have made my breakfasts and lunches for the week.
    I have finally reached the end of my email switch. note to self never use and email linked to your cable provider. I have had the same email since 2001 and leaving just seemed like work (it was), but we are tired of the constant increases and they did not care that we have 24 years as a customer so we are cancelling the internet and cable at month end. it will result in a significant savings.
    Granger: thanks for sharing your budget, we use the free version of YNAB, but I think I like the look of yours better. I do find it helps even though things are not tight for us we are 10 years until we retire and 1 year until the 1st son leaves for uni/college so we need to be smart with our money. DH is in a precarious industry so that keeps us on our toes as well.
    still trying to find the right kitchen contractor, we have narrowed the choices so hopefully soon we can commit.
    JadeAngel, barbis9, Ciel and 5 others like this.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jasperandchar View Post
    I went on Pinterest for some potential dessert recipes should it be a snow day. I also think you can substitute applesauce for butter, has anyone done this?
    I have done this some with unsweetened apple sauce. I found that it really changed the texture and consistency of my squares if I substituted out all of the butter for apple sauce. It works fairly well if I used 50/50. I make monster cookie squares that I have made healthier. I reduced the sugar, reduced the chocolate chips, reduced the M&and, and added 1C dried cranberries. The recipe uses 1 1/2C peanutbuttr and 1/2C butter, I sub out the butter for apple sauce and it is delicious. I increase the baking time to compensate for the different type of moisture or else the squares turn out somewhat soft.
    JadeAngel, barbis9, Ciel and 2 others like this.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

I bought turbo tax back in January at 25%off. Started on part of our taxes. Still waiting on t4s from work but could enter our northern allowances and my rrsp stuff.

Tonight we had leftovers. I expanded our mashed tatera by added 3 tbs of instant mashed taters and a bit of milk. I heated the roast pork in a gravy I whipped up from boullion water and cornstarch. We heated up our spaghetti sauce from Friday and i added some rigatoni as we had eaten all the pasta.

I also made20 dollars today fixing a laptop.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lizzie bargain View Post
    Avon-hehe-we did not have attendants at our wedding. We had an impromptu wedding( after 25 years together!) in our living room in front of our fireplace with a couple that are our very good friends as witnesses( they wore their dress clothes as we only gave them a few days notice), our 6 year old in a long yellow dress with little red roses as our flower girl and the minister. About 25 friends and family came over for dinner and we ordered in Chinese food and had Tiramasu for dessert. It was simple and great-this is what happens when you decide 6 days prior that you will get married-lol.
    Best wedding ever! Happy Anniversary!

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

@avoncallingu: I'm so sorry to hear about your husband. You're a pillar of strength to be handling all the paperwork side of things. Someone described it to me once and there are parts that are not so simple, even for people not going through what you are. I wouldn't feel badly about not understanding it all at a time like this or about eating ready-made meals. Just enjoy that your friends love you that much. ❤️

Please take one day at a time and I'm sending along hugs and well wishes from me to you.

@Granger: Hats off to your bravery in showing your entire budget. My experience is the more you give, the more you are blessed with in return. The return is almost never financial, but it has a value that can't be measured in terms of cost.

I've always wanted to discuss our finances with others but there is such a strong opposition to discussing them and that it's not just mine but DH's. Most of you know that I'm really bothered by DH's finances so I wouldn't want to make that the focus. I know the amount that he spends on work related material is well over five figures and he did not get five figures back. I'll have a look at it again tomorrow.
    Last edited by sweet sparrow; Mon, Feb 13th, 2017 at 02:42 PM.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Morning! Another snow day in our area. Lucky kids! I had a nice drive to work, roads were plowed on my side of town. The other side of town is a mess as per my co-worker.
    With all this snow it has me thinking of summer (dreaming!) I have big plans for the backyard and hope to get started this weekend I want to make it our relaxing oasis.
    Angela273, JadeAngel, Ciel and 2 others like this.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

-well gonna get busy today -supper chicken breasts , baked potates,corn -working on my kitchen went thru one drawer and one cupboard-nice to condense -may ask my daughter-in-law if she needs a plastic bowl
    -here's a thought yesterday I went thru my sock drawer -I don't have many -I had bought a pkg last year(as I always buy ahead) from winners 3.00 for 3 pair and they are made for a size 6-7 shoe I am a 9 -common manufacturers make a decent size sock -the 3 pkg I got from shoppers on the weekend are fine as they are secret with the loose top -I hate socks that cut my circulation off and my ankles are not that big either -my rant for the day
    JadeAngel, barbis9, Ciel and 1 others like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

$5 wub 4 Maple Leaf products on one receipt.
    http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/420270-...oducts-canada/
    JadeAngel, barbis9, Ciel and 2 others like this.
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Making some cupcakes today. Glad that the roads are clear today as I have a defective product to return to Fortinos. Have to stay away from clearance section as that is my downfall with budgeting.
    Angela273, JadeAngel and Ciel like this.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

I don't know if everyone is aware so I will post because of the pc points being stolen, you cannot redeem for gcs , I'm hoping it's just a temporary resolution until they get a handle on the points being stolen etc. I would be extremely disappointed if this was for good as many of you know, we save our pc points to redeem for gcs for Christmas so this would be a really hard financially if they don't re-instate the gc redemptions.

Snow day here which means baking, ds1 made sucre a la crème (brown sugar fudge) and youngest made a double batch of brownies. I divided both dishes in 1/2 and popped them into the freezer.

Supper tonight is leftovers for the adults and sausages for the kids, dh does not like sausages.

I need to figure out my meal plan for the week, I'm thinking I will make a batch of chili which dh can take for lunches.

Dh is off to independent tonight so we should be stocked up on water for the next little while. I will also be freezing 6 jugs of the simply orange juice.

On Wednesday I will send him to Metro for Gay lea butter, jumbo pineapple and yogurt.

Also hoping he can swing by FreschCo tonight on his way home from the chiropractor.

The kids snowblowed the whole laneway plus the back walkway, they are getting so responsible and I'm sure dh will greatly appreciate this surprise when he gets home.

I still need 2 t4's (Supperannuation & Sun Life) for myself and 2 for dh as well (union dues and another), hoping they arrive really soon (haha).

Wishing everyone a wonderful afternoon.
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

@jasperandchar -Thanks for pointing out the rep I missed for @lizzie bargain for her Optimum advice!
    @lizzie bargain -great pointers on how to get one's Optimum points tally!
    @Granger -budget look is appreciated! I'm thrilled to read of how your various goals are covered with the new program in use. I think it is very hard for a minister's family to always have to lead by example i.e. tithing. Your family is admirable in that you budget for tithes along with every other need!
    @Angela _273 -impressive shopping deals! Rare to find 50% off items at Sobeys-it's like a scavenger hunt whereas at Loblaws stores, there usually are fixed locations to find the clearance racks for produce or other grocery items.
    It has to be frustrating that you have not received migraine relief from the healthcare visits. Body is clearly communicating with you about something.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

@coupon girl - I know your sock situation. I've noticed that most 9-11 socks now say sizes 9-10. I still have to buy socks being past a size 10. Three pairs of socks at home need replacing soon so I need colourful crew socks.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

@jasperandchar -the PC Plus points not be allowed for gift card redemptions will affect some families relying on them but on other hand, the measure allows PC Plus to prevent a double problem on any affected points account (loss of points plus loss of gift cards purchased with those points). Thanks for alerting us to the matter! It's great that your sons know how to help you and DH at home too! Have to ask about the OJ jugs in the freezer-is there sufficient airspace in the jugs that the juice does not force the caps off when the juice is frozen?
    @Frugalbigmama -there is a Mamma Mia musical coming in April to Hamilton, if the ABBA music still appeals to your future night out plans: http://theatreaquarius.org/onstage/mamma-mia/
    JadeAngel likes this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Frugalbigmama View Post
    Taxes- I am a little excited too for tax time. I put a crap load in my RRSP last year. But we lost stuff for the kids- No more Sport benefit etc. We will see!
    Your RRSP post reminds me of Gail's analogy of last Monday in Smart Money about what an RRSP is-the umbrella (plan registration). She said many people don't think of the investments (the box) that they are going to put their beach ball (money-RRSP contributions) into when they open their RRSP (the umbrella). Best explanation ever!
    JadeAngel and jasperandchar like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

I'm brainstorming meal plans for the next couple of weeks for supper.

Serloin steak, fried mushrooms, sweet potato fries, boiled veggies (cauliflower was requested)

Chicken veggie stir fry with rice - honey garlic or teriyaki

Meatballs in mushroom sauce with rice and boiled veggies

Fin & Hattie with baking powder biscuits

Roast Chicken & hash brown casserole
    Chicken wraps

Egg roll stir fry over rice

Salmon fillets, noodles, boiled veggies
    Last edited by Angela273; Mon, Feb 13th, 2017 at 02:37 PM.
    Caddle Referral Code:

Page 14 of 32 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 24 ... LastLast

Thread Information