User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: Signup scam-don't get tricked into saying "yes" on the phone

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by shop til I drop View Post
    I get 5 calls a night from collection agencies. The previous 2 people who had my number I guess are in collections because they call each night for them. I am so annoyed. I am going to switch my number as soon as possible. I never want to be in collections but I am wary picking up the house phone because it is them who is calling.
    Remind the caller (if you take a call from one of the agencies) about this confidentiality bit from the Collection & Debt Settlement Act, if you are in Ontario:
    Confidentiality

17. (1) A person who obtains information in the course of exercising a power or carrying out a duty related to the administration of this Act or the regulations shall preserve secrecy with respect to the information and shall not communicate the information to any person except,
    (a) as may be required in connection with a proceeding under this Act or in connection with the administration of this Act or the regulations;
    (b) to a ministry, department or agency of a government engaged in the administration of legislation similar to this Act or legislation that protects consumers or to any other entity to which the administration of legislation similar to this Act or legislation that protects consumers has been assigned;
    (b.1) as authorized under the Regulatory Modernization Act, 2007;
    (c) to an entity or organization prescribed by the regulations, if the purpose of the communication is consumer or debtor protection;
    (d) to a law enforcement agency;
    (e) to his, her or its counsel; or
    (f) with the consent of the person to whom the information relates. 2004, c. 19, s. 6 (1); 2007, c. 4, s. 25.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Not a signup scam but a scammer is calling Hamilton area businesses saying hydro will be cut off unless money is sent to a cheque cashing store. Affects Alectra customers (power and water/sewer).

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/71...of-phone-scam/
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information