• 2 Post By Shwa Girl
  • 4 Post By torontogal12
  • 2 Post By Ciel

Thread: Need some help!

ramo
    Trading Score
    2 (75%)

Goood morning everyone
    My wife and I are planning a trip back home to Afghanistan.
    We need some help in finding good deals. It's customary to take back tons of gifts. This time around we have decided to take back more necessities such as hygiene items - toothpaste, toothbrushes, razors, etc. also looking to make goodie bags for the children who work on the streets - perhaps small toys like cars, chocolates, candy, things that they cannot afford to buy. Other items that I'm thinking are nail polish, make up, jewelry - was thinking of ardenes 10 items for $10.
    we recently moved into a basement apartment and no longer get flyers/coupon inserts.
    If you know any place that sells these type of items - like warehouses or good finds or mailing me coupons I would very much appreciate it. We are planning our trip for April so we have about 6 weeks to get everything together.
    Thanks for your help!
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Ciel, Shwa Girl, dededi and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Hi. If you live near Close Out King or Brands Gone Wild warehouses, you can get some deals.
    The Salvation Army, Goodwill and Value Village have special days when there is 30% off and 50% off etc.
    These locations have used AND new items.

If you can send items later in the year, RCSS reduces their clothing items in July/August. I have read brags of $0.24 for small children clothing items in the past.
    Ciel and rameen like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Because it is for people in Afghanistan, you would likely have luck organizing a hygiene items/toy drive in your community. Is there a community centre or church that you could contact to assist you?

I would suggest Bulk Barn for a lot of these things. They have bulk candy (some of it already pre-wrapped, some unwrapped).

For the discount nail polish, go to Walmart or Shoppers and see if you can find a large gift set, then open the gift set and hand them out. That would probably keep the per unit cost low
    Ciel, dededi, Davetherave and 1 others like this.
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Food items-please check what customs restrictions may exist for importing items into Afghanistan. Every country usually has rules about food imports as well as other goods (so you don't find your trip marred by unexpected custom duties or fees).

Hygiene items for kits like soap, toothpaste, shampoo in travel size formats along with a facecloth. Not agreeing with makeup or jewellery as there could be local taboos or restrictions on use-focus on practical items anyone can use. Suggest that watches, if in basic wriststrap styles, could be preferable if kids have times to adhere to for prayer, school, commitments or family activities. Also tweezers. If allowed, alcohol wipes (you can get them in individually sealed packets by the box at Shoppers Drug Mart for example) and plain plastic bandages (when the Band Aid brand is on sale for 80ct boxes) would make for good first aid items (you could split the contents of wipes and bandages among several kits). It is thoughtful to consider a sweet or toy. What about a pen with a small coil notepad or mini Magna Doodle sketch toys?

The other idea-sewing needles and thread to make a small repair kit-say in squeeze coin purses from Bentley (about $2 each; there may be a deal if you buy several at a time-ask). There may be small thread cutters that could be added. This way, each child has a way to repair a garment to make it last longer. Beige, medium grey, brown/dark tan or black threads-if you know the colours of clothing children are likely to have.

It is possible several items you are considering for kits may be more advantageous to buy over there and just bring over toys or candy from Canadian stores, along with any kits (if you are using pencil cases or mesh bags or zippered pouches to assemble your items for each child). If you purchase the toiletries over there, you help local vendors with your business.

Collapsible cups are another idea-they'd allow a child to access drinking water if they don't have their own bottles and minimize space taken up in a pocket or apron.
    https://www.containerstore.com/s/tra...uctId=10027585
    Last edited by Ciel; Sat, Feb 25th, 2017 at 11:25 PM.
    wendymac and Davetherave like this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

ramo
    Trading Score
    2 (75%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    Food items-please check what customs restrictions may exist for importing items into Afghanistan. Every country usually has rules about food imports as well as other goods (so you don't find your trip marred by unexpected custom duties or fees).

Hygiene items for kits like soap, toothpaste, shampoo in travel size formats along with a facecloth. Not agreeing with makeup or jewellery as there could be local taboos or restrictions on use-focus on practical items anyone can use. Suggest that watches, if in basic wriststrap styles, could be preferable if kids have times to adhere to for prayer, school, commitments or family activities. Also tweezers. If allowed, alcohol wipes (you can get them in individually sealed packets by the box at Shoppers Drug Mart for example) and plain plastic bandages (when the Band Aid brand is on sale for 80ct boxes) would make for good first aid items (you could split the contents of wipes and bandages among several kits). It is thoughtful to consider a sweet or toy. What about a pen with a small coil notepad or mini Magna Doodle sketch toys?

The other idea-sewing needles and thread to make a small repair kit-say in squeeze coin purses from Bentley (about $2 each; there may be a deal if you buy several at a time-ask). There may be small thread cutters that could be added. This way, each child has a way to repair a garment to make it last longer. Beige, medium grey, brown/dark tan or black threads-if you know the colours of clothing children are likely to have.

It is possible several items you are considering for kits may be more advantageous to buy over there and just bring over toys or candy from Canadian stores, along with any kits (if you are using pencil cases or mesh bags or zippered pouches to assemble your items for each child). If you purchase the toiletries over there, you help local vendors with your business.

Collapsible cups are another idea-they'd allow a child to access drinking water if they don't have their own bottles and minimize space taken up in a pocket or apron.
    https://www.containerstore.com/s/tra...uctId=10027585
    Ciel - this was such a kind and thoughtful post!!! I especially liked the idea of buying items there so that it can also be a way to help local vendors!!! I'm awed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

I would double check if you can bring things like nail polish, toothpaste, I know you can't bring anything liquid.

So to save even more contact airports in the countries you will be travelling trough, Canada, US and others perhaps.

Best of luck
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Thread Information