User Tag List

Trading Score
    55 (100%)

I have mixed feelings about our education system (from grade schools to universitys)..

I feel that they do not cater to those who may need extra help because they may learn a different way. they choose to teach the way the majority of students are able to learn.

school costs too much, and for those who may like to go to college or univers. and cannot get a scholarship and do not have the money, are pretty much screwed. (unless they take out a loan, and end up with massive debts before they are even done their second year)

Decent jobs look for college/univers. grads.... understandable if you need to really know the ins and outs of the profession... but if i was to apply for a job (with a college degree) and someone applied without one, I would most likely be favoured, or more likely considered.

How unfortunate is that? I may not even be the best person for the job!

ALSO,

I think its hard for students when they have teachers, friends, parents, etc telling them that "next time, do your best"... because the student brought home a mark of 65% on their test....

what if the child/student, WAS trying their best... I think that it would make the child feel worthless and uncapable of meeting Other peoples standards..

I dont know, my mind is all over the place with this one. I know there are positive things about the system, but i only posted some of the neg. things to get you all to start firing back hehe
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Please take a second to follow my brand new blog:
    Belinda's Babblings

I've been away for quite some time so I apologize if I repost a contest by accident! Feel free to message me and let me know if I've done this and I'll delete it : )

Banned
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

The educational system Sucks!
    How else can i put it.. it does!Teacher sittin on there butt wantin there pay!
    Labeling students as "gifted" or "dumb"
    which there off by 100%

Grade school is crap,the pass all the students smart or dumb just to get rid of them off.
    High School you can get away this anything skip all day and the teacher don't say anything to you,no rules there!

Then College or Uni...pay sooo much for course to base that on your future..

Then if that all fails... McDonalds there always an opening!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

IDK how you fix this one.

The system has to cater to the majority, because the majority of kids also need an eduction. However, It is possible to cater to others as well, but it is more difficult to know which is the best way to do so. I know of many teachers who bend over backwards to ensure that they are reaching all of their students, but it must be exhausting.

Resources are limited, and if you do really reach a child, the next year, that child is in a new class, with all new struggles, and you have a new student that requires another different style of teaching in order to reach their potential. The following year, it's the same story, only you now see that first child who is failing two years down the road.

Fast forward twenty years, you now see some of those students you worked so hard to reach who are still struggling, and in and out of crappy jobs, or worse. You still have these kids coming in, you're exhausted and disheartened, and you just don't know how to help them.

I think the parents really need to step in as much as they possibly can, to give the teacher real insight into their kids, and give them the tools they need to know how to reach them. We need to be involved and advocate for our kids, and maybe even switch them to a different school if there are reasons why we cannot work constructively together to ensure the best for our kids.

I went to a French school, as do my kids, and I often hear people saying that they worry that being French will mean they can't read or write in English. It was never an issue for us, because my parents bought us English books to use at home, and we learned whatever we needed that wasn't taught in the schools. Really, as parents we are the best teachers, and we are in the best position to make sure our kids succeed.
    Wins ~ $339.50 for 2008

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I feel very blessed with the school that my daughter goes to.

It has great funding, loads of helpers who are mostly parents, and a lot of support staff for the kids that need it.

Perhaps one day I may change my opinion, but I feel very fortunate that my girls have such a terrific school, where so many of the parents (including myself) volunteer their time to help out...

We have no lice problem because of our PAC checking so frequently
    We have kids reading one on one to parents to improve their literacy skills
    We have an emergency prep team and supplies of food, water and tents for our kids in case of any disaster
    We have retired teachers who come to help the kids that need some assistance

Because of this our FSA scores are much higher than the provincial average, and I feel very blessed that our school is run by our parents and teachers instead of the district alone

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

What a great system - I think I will see if our PAC could implement some of these ideas!

I also love the idea of classroom "grandparents". Our school is next to an old age home, and it would be lovely to pair up with someone who could visit the class weekly. Our only problem will be finding enough French speaking "Grandparents" to come in. Maybe we could have it as part of the English class curriculum...
    Wins ~ $339.50 for 2008

eri
    Female
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

and yet we still vote conservative and favour tax cuts...crazy stuff!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I feel that the PAC and all parents make such a huge difference in the way a school is run...

This is why I believe our school is so successful as there is so much community/family involvement

The grandparent idea is a great one, just remember that anyone who volunteers at a school, no matter how young or old should have a police clearance and a police clearance that shows if there have been any pardoned offenses!!!(Yes this is a separate police clearance, at least out her in BC)

I believe in the old saying that it takes a village to raise a child, and this is why I feel so blessed with our little gem of a school

Quote Originally Posted by swouper2 View Post
    What a great system - I think I will see if our PAC could implement some of these ideas!

I also love the idea of classroom "grandparents". Our school is next to an old age home, and it would be lovely to pair up with someone who could visit the class weekly. Our only problem will be finding enough French speaking "Grandparents" to come in. Maybe we could have it as part of the English class curriculum...

Thread Information