User Tag List

Trading Score
    55 (100%)

is it sincere?
    do they just want to fill their bank accounts more?
    is it just to be "different?"
    do they really care about the self-esteem of young women?
    are they creating a "mirage" for people to beleive?
    are you purchasing more of their products now that this campaign has launched?

Did you know that Unilever (the company that owns Dove), is the company that owns Axe. The Brand that in their commercials, has a guy spraying axe on his body, and groups of gorgeous woman start attacking him ( in a provocative way?)?

Does that change anything for your image of Dove?
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Please take a second to follow my brand new blog:
    Belinda's Babblings

I've been away for quite some time so I apologize if I repost a contest by accident! Feel free to message me and let me know if I've done this and I'll delete it : )

Admin
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

I've honestly never paid that much attention to the campaigns....

I've watched some of the commercials, and it is kind of refreshing to see real people and not some genetically modified post plastic surgery models.

Although my 9 year old son came home after school last week and said he needs some Axe body spray so that the girls will like him...

*sigh* if thats all it took hahah!

All in all there a big company, and everything always is about the all mighty dollar, so it def is a marketing ploy to me.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

personally i think its more about the advertising, the money, and how they make them self stand out to draw people in, like every commercial they do something to make them appeal to people. i can't really see them caring other then thinking of it was a good way to make money but at the same time a nice gesture

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by POWERADE View Post
    personally i think its more about the advertising, the money, and how they make them self stand out to draw people in, like every commercial they do something to make them appeal to people. i can't really see them caring other then thinking of it was a good way to make money but at the same time a nice gesture
    I agree for the most part. I think it's really clever to play on the heart strings and going against the grain.

Trading Score
    10 (100%)

It depends. I think that yes, it is a marketing ploy, but you've got to accept the fact that they do fund charaties with the money from sales. I like how Always sends pads to girls in Africa. If they give back in some way, it isn't a total waste. A few cents goes a long way. Look at all the Ronald McDonald houses, ant that is only 10 cents per happy meal.

And marketing ploy or not, young girls are seeing them and finally understanding that there is more than one type of beauty. Pre-teens don't read into the commercials like we do. They see what is on the surface, and if it is a positive message instead of a negative one, I will take that marketing ploy anyday.
    Remember that even though pets are here for such a short time they teach us things we would never be able to learn in many lifetimes on our own.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I am not sure exactly why or who came up with this campaign, but I think that it is great!!!

I for one am so happy to see real women on a commercial instead of perfect models.

Regardless of there agenda,(and because I do not know the brains behind it I can not comment to it's sincerity) I still think that this is a great message for young girls and all women.

As far as the Axe stuff, you need to market your clientèle, and although this is a bit hypocritical, I still like and approve of the Dove ads

Trading Score
    32 (100%)

I dont mind dove commercials

but I do laugh at some of the axe commericals. some of them are cute, but un realistic

Trading Score
    10 (100%)

I do like it when DH gets out of the shower and puts Axe on. He rarely wears calogne, so when he does I know he is feeling frisky, then I start to feel that way too.

So yes, Axe does work, lol.
    Remember that even though pets are here for such a short time they teach us things we would never be able to learn in many lifetimes on our own.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I have a hard time believing that there is a group of people working in an ad agency who sit around conspiring evilly all day.

I think it's also not likely that a company has hired people to work on a campaign that will benefit the company in no way at all.

I don't know anyone who works there, but this is how it works in my imagination...

Company person says - we will hire 5 people to work on our next campaign, you have this budget, and we would like it to appeal to this audience.

These 5 people are normal people, who know thee data and the budgets, and the products. They also have to pick up their kids from school, and get out of the office early to see their aging parents, and all the other normal stuff. At least 3 of the people are worried about what to cook for supper tonight. Anyway, they know the clientele they are trying to reach, and decide - hey these people are like us. They care about their looks, but aren't perfectly polished, and they care about the world around them. Hey, let's not spend so much on models, and use some of this money to do some good. Then we'll spend a bunch of money showing the good things we do, and sales will go up. They're not just in it for the money, but they want to be successful in their jobs, and they realize that if Dove makes more money, they can convince their bosses to invest more money into these causes.

I don't think it's 100% selfless - but it's not harmful, and it's nice to see them promoting some positive things. Besides, when they do send money towards a good cause, is it so bad if it helps them out a bit, too?

I am more likely to support a company whose ads aren't so sexualized. I had to throw away a Home Decorating magazine, before I even read it, because the rear cover ad for perfume was so provocative, and my daughter was staring at it, and asking questions.
    Wins ~ $339.50 for 2008

Trading Score
    80 (100%)

I do think the difference is that the supermodel look has been forced on us a lot longer than men.. I am sure after another 30 years of *look like this axe model* type advertising, they will decide to show real men too.. or so I hope -- i like real me..

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I don't know it seems to me a double edged sword. But then again they are 2 different products, and how they market them is entirely up to them. Yes they have to make money otherwise we wouldnt't be seeing new ads all the time.

My son came home one day from next door, and his friend who is a girl....he came home and told me that she has the sample sizes of axe in her room and smells them and actually wears it from time to time coz she thinks it smells so dreamy.... They are 10 ...

Then he went on to say that he wanted to get axe after his batch of bodywash is finished .....

la la la la la

http://serendipiter.wordpress.com- Come and check out my book blog I may have books to giveaway!

Thread Information