User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Baptism

Trading Score
    10 (100%)

I feel though that I need to raise my child with some sort of spiritual beliefs. I believe it is an integral part as humans to believe in devine power. I want my children to know many religions though, not just one.
    Remember that even though pets are here for such a short time they teach us things we would never be able to learn in many lifetimes on our own.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by LisaLisaBoBisa View Post
    That could be argued about almost any parental decision made. I have been immunized, so my child should also be? I have been formally educated so my child should be as well? It seems it is only through religion that people see a parent making a decision for their child as misguided.
    Could you have chosen any worse examples for your argument? Immunizations have demonstrable benefits, not only to those who receive them but to all members of a society. Ditto for formal education. Show me one benefit that comes from being raised in a particular religious sect. (And don't bother suggesting morality; morality and religiousness have nothing to do with each other.)

Alternatively you are making a decision for your child, by not bringing religion in to his/her life. If your child says to you at 25 *why didnt you baptize me, I wanted to be XXX religion* you will then be in the hot seat..
    Frankly, I'm raising my children to be smarter than that. Consider, for a moment, how much sense your hypothetical question makes, and then get back to me.

We do what we feel is right for our individual children, based on our OWN belief system -- we can do no more or less.. We then hope it turns out ok and that we are not too harshly blamed.. lol
    Why do we have to instill a belief system at all? My job as a parent is to protect my children from harm, to teach them right from wrong, and to provide a good example for them. The goal at the end of this process is to give them what they need to become self-sufficient adults, so they won't need me anymore. If they are to acquire a belief system that makes sense, then that will happen naturally, through the course of being alive, observing and experiencing the world and all its wonders. Indoctrinating my children into whatever religious sect I belong to -- which is, in the vast majority of cases, simply the one my parents belonged to -- would be doing a huge disservice to them.
    73% of all statistics are made up, including this one.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

SCRawl couldn't be more closer to my beliefs and reasoning then if he were me himself.
    lol

I also have no intention of forcing any sort of belief system on my children. Including baptism.

Admin
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Both my children are baptized, it was the right decision for us.

I don't look down or care if other people don't get there kids baptized, but for us it was the right choice.

Troy was almost 4 so he wore a dress shirt and pants.
    Zachery was 4 months and I got him the cutest white sailor shortall and cap, it was so precious.
    It was really moving for me when he screamed the entire time ( the minister said he couldn't be fed during the ceremony, so he scream and screamed then the minister held him to show him to the congregation and he stopped crying.
    I mean completely stopped crying he was silent.
    He didnt make a sound until he brought him back to me then of course the crying resumed. Iono that might not mean much to many people but it was quite amazing to me.

We don't go to church on a regular basis but i'd like the think im a spiritual person.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information