User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    78 (100%)

why buy a kitten from the pet store when there is thousands of homeless ones that are way cheaper or even free?
    as for dogs, most of the time you can get a pure bred dog from a reputable breeder for the same amount or even less than at the pet store.. and you actually know what you are getting. just my two cents...
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    15 (100%)

I dont think they should, its so sad to go in there and see all these dogs/cats squished into small little cages with nowhere to run/play. More then half the time the "pure bread" dog your getting is actually a mutt, I know of pet store that bought my uncles pups off of him, the mother was a pure bread but they didn't know what the father was and the store turns around and sells them for 600+ I think its sick!! I got my dog from a pet store sadly but I couldnt stand to see him kept in the kennel any longer, he was already 12 weeks old and had spent his whole life in one!! Hes a great dog, but I would never buy from a pet store again, I dont even like to go into them anymore it makes me sad!! I would suggest for everyone to check out their local Humane Society first, you can get dogs there for cheaper that are all fixed and needled!

Admin
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Nope not unless there selling ones from the Humane society.

A lot of stores sell cat and dogs and other animals from mills, and its really not good.

Point in fact, these stores buy off brokers and a lot of the brokers buy from puppy mills and its really sad.

Let's look back at the rabies scare last year with the border collie.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I don't think that they should either but agree with Sally that if they were going to try to find homes for the animals at the pound, then I would be all for it.

Trading Score
    10 (100%)

I like the programs where they bring shelter animals into pet stores to place them in homes. There is a pet store in the vancouver area that was selling kittens. I was a rehab worker for the shelter in North Van at the time and saw these kittens. They were scared, covered in poo and hissing at everything that walked by. Oh, and they were placed at the entrance of the very busy store (to attract children and swindle their parents into getting one). I told them that their cats were very stressed out and were liable to get ill if they didn't take proper care of them. The sales clerk was very rude and asked me to leave the store because I said it loud enough for the other customers to hear and they didn't want to lose business. I got everyone in the store talking though and one customer put down his items and left.

That just sickens me.
    Remember that even though pets are here for such a short time they teach us things we would never be able to learn in many lifetimes on our own.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

We got our one dog from the shelter - and he's just awesome!

We bought our second dog from a reputable breeder, and paid half what we would have paid in a store, and we got to meet her mother and father and grandma and sister.

Both our dogs are great. However, the purebred is no better and no more healthy than our mutt. I am getting a bit tired of training her, to tell the truth, but she is coming along awesome, and is a great puppy.

From now on, though, I will stick with only adult dogs from the shelter. They can still be trained, but are already halfway there. Ours was housetrained and very patient, but needed to learn manners (no jumping, heel, never go on the stairs when the kids are on them, etc) He learned faster than the puppy, b/c he wasn't as excited all the time.

And I honestly think he's a better dog because he appreciates his home, having known what is llike to be abandoned and mistreated.

I paid a bunch of money for our mutt, and I know it all went to helping other dogs and cats in need.

I also love that PetSmart only showcases pets from shelters, and never profits from the sale of dogs or cats. - Although as a business model, it's probably more profitable, because I will buy my supplies from them.
    Wins ~ $339.50 for 2008

Trading Score
    10 (100%)

I only invest money in animals that have had a hard knock life. Back in December when I got ginny (my 3.5 lbs chihuahua) I paid a 250$ adoption fee for her. She was comming from a woman who had confiscated her from an abusive home and needed to place her. When I saw Ginny it was love at first sight. She was only two pounds then and deathly afraid of men. She would cry all the time and scream in her sleep until she woke herself. It was a rough time there, but now she is a happy well adjusted dog. She gained a pound and a half in the first two months and I had her eating dog food which she was never fed in her three years in the abusive home. The vet said that she was amazed that I got her eating dog food because after that long on human food, dogs will usually refuse to eat kibble and will starve themselves. She got all her shots and much needed medical attention. She doesn't have night terrors anymore and is in love with DH, as well as anyone who fawns attention on her. She used to snap, but not anymore. She will rub her face on yours like a cat. I love rehabilitating abused animals.

We are currently working on a new pup. Abused from the getgo. We managed to get ahold of him and he is becoming well adjusted too. Not afraid of men anymore. DH and I are positive canine role models and pack leaders. We get good results that way.

Okay. Enough of my novelette....
    Remember that even though pets are here for such a short time they teach us things we would never be able to learn in many lifetimes on our own.

Admin
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

We paid 600 dollars for Zoodle our mini dachshund, from a very reputable lady. I looked where they slept, how they were kept. Even talked to the vet who gives all the shots and such.

Dachshunds go from anywhere from 300-2000 so 600 was a lot but to me it was worth getting a puppy in good health and well taken care of.

I would of never even considered a pet store.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    78 (100%)

we paid $1000 for jonah but we got to meet several members of his family and visited the breeder many times before we finally got him. the breeder actually grilled us before she "let" us buy him! i dont know much about other breeds but most of the "purebred" pugs i see in pet stores for $2000 and more, dont look good at all! having said that, my next pug is going to come from a pug rescue, i already have the rescue picked out and know they lady quiet well, just have to convince hubby i can handle a baby, toddler and two pugs!

ps. its so nice to see so many other animal lovers on here!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    15 (100%)

I paid 350 for my dog, he didn't come with any papers, he was kept in a kennel for pretty much his whole life, when we went in to look at him they took him out and help him on a table he wasnt allowed to walk on the floor on anything, he was covered in dirt and smelled, it broke my heart! I had to get him out of there, I think he may have been from a puppy mill, the place I got him from has a horrible reputation and it makes me sad that thats where he came from but i just couldnt see him there, hes a such a good dog!! I can't even go back in there to look because of how bad the animals are treated Im just glad hes not there anymore! My mom got her dog from a local breed, we got to meet the other puppies, the mother and father, and our local vet said her dogs are always good and in good health! She paid the same as I paid for my dog.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I have never and will never pay for pet. I have always got my pets for free from friends or off the local farm.

I pay enough to feed them and in vet bills that I would never pay a pet store the price they are looking for.

So far in my life I have have 10 cats all Free and 2 dogs free.

you can join this forum by clicking on my link below.
    http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/index.php?referrerid=18227

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

I've always got my kitties from the pound. plus I don't understand why someone would pay a few hundred dollars for a pet, whether it is from a pet store or a private sale. wherever you get it from, you are helping to support the industry of selling these poor things for profit.
    even birds that you see in pet stores. who knows where these poor things came from, how they were shipped etc.
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

I've always had cats and dogs from either the humane society or from a rescue shelter.

Now that I've moved into an apartment, I adopted Kosmo the Cat from the SPCA, I think we paid $150 for him, but he had all his shots and was fixed, he also came with a free vet visit . He's been my cuddle muffin for the last three years.

In April we adopted Denver from a rescue shelter running out of a local vet office. We paid $110, he had all his shots, was fixed, and came with a bag of food that fed him for a month.

We even convinced friends of ours to go to the vet, and they ended up adopting two cat brothers, it was a two for one deal, so they paid the same, and got two new redheads to welcome into their lives.

Trading Score
    10 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by anisa View Post
    I've always got my kitties from the pound. plus I don't understand why someone would pay a few hundred dollars for a pet, whether it is from a pet store or a private sale. wherever you get it from, you are helping to support the industry of selling these poor things for profit.
    even birds that you see in pet stores. who knows where these poor things came from, how they were shipped etc.

Most breeders don't even recieve a profit from breeding unless it's a full time thing. Most just make back their cost of caring for the puppy. That's not to say that people don't try to get away with charging insane amounts for pets, but it depends on the situation. If you want a certain breed and want assurance that it is in fact pure, they need to provide you with papers. That costs money for them and they must recoop their cost. Not only that, but puppies need vet visits, most come with their first shots and are de wormed. The (female dog) needs to be checked prior to birth, and if there are any problems action must be taken. That costs money too. Food costs money, and if the puppies need formula because they can't nurse that costs money too.

I am just saying all of this because we have a pregnant girl right now and we are going to charge for her puppies. Only to recoop our costs and to assure they go to a good home. No one is encouraging us to breed again by paying for our puppies. It's an assurance. Anyone can take a free puppy, if you can really take care of it you are willing to spend a few dollars to get it.

Not condoning backyard breeding, but it depends on the situation. I'd rather pay for a pup than get it for free. It's suspicious when people give away free puppies, IMO.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Any reputable breeder wont breed full time, if you do, then you are a backyard breeder.

IMO no they shouldnt be allowed to sell live animals. Only exception is adoptables from rescues or shelters.

If people would stop supporting this supply and demand in pet stores and start adopting from shelters then pet stores would be out of buisness. Plain and simple.

Anytime a person purchases an animal from a pet store they are only making room for another one. Most likely an animal that has been bred solely for money with no interest/passion in the animal. a vicious cycle.
    Long Live the Frogs!
    One busy Frog hoppin' along.....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information