User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Tour bus trip from Montreal to New York Ciry

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    18 (100%)

Hi - I am looking to go to NYC on a weekend tour bus - can anyone recommend a tour bus that is a good price and decent?
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    135 (100%)

I can't help much, since I usually drive when going back home to the States or I used to use Greyhound, BUT I do know there are several tour companies in Chinatown here in Montreal that seemed (when I saw them a while back) to be cheaper than most and the buses (from the outside) seemed new/clean. If you live not too far, or can get to Chinatown, there are several travel companies there (one offhand, is on Rene-Levesque, near corner St-Urbain). There's also just a bus that goes (not a tour) from Chinatown that I remember was much cheaper cost-wise than going on Greyhound.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Wondertravel.net and http://www.vacancesinorama.com/

I tried both...both are ok (as long as you don't mind a chinese tour guide with very bad english! ) Price is cheap...especially if you can find 3 other friends to go with u!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    135 (100%)

yes, that's the one I saw, wondertravel! I figured the English might be iffy!

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    11 (100%)

I've tried Wondertravel and it was ok.
    Pros: It was clean, well organized, the places where we stayed were decent and the prices are indeed cheaper than most travel companies for the same tour
    Cons: I went on a 1 week tour in the maritimes but it was jam=packed so we only stopped at certain locations for 15 minutes. ( then again, this only applies if you are going there for sightseeing)
    *Be sure to tell them what your main objective is because certain tours are more for sightseeing and others for shopping.
    It appears Sinorama may be cheaper because of the "Victoria Day Special", but I'm not sure.
    http://www.wonderbustours.com/(S(4hf1h4552ofmu4uknnt5jz3n))/WebInfo/BusTourInfo.aspx?languageId=1&departCityId=1
    http://www.vacancesinorama.com/fr/page_bus_tour.htm

Trading Score
    82 (100%)

I took Frenzy tours to N.Y. about 2 years ago & it was great , the tour guide was very helpful the hotel was great ! I enjoyed it very much & a few of my friends have also taken this tour comapny at other times & have very positive comments !! I am actually thinking of going back to N.Y. perhaps in May & doing the shopping tour this time.

Here is the link: http://www.frenzytours.com/index.php/en

Know what matters...
    Trading Score
    21 (100%)

bookmarking
    Have a great life!

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Depending on what you want, you could do an "unguided" bus tour. It's pretty popular among my friends. They pick you up here, drive into New York. They, each day, they will pick you up at the hotel, drop you for the day, and bring you back at the hotel for the night. The price (hotel+bus) is usually cheaper than what you can get yourself for the same hotel, plus you don't have to drive up there, pay for parking or transportation in NY. Good compromise if you want to do your own stuff.

Trading Score
    19 (95%)

Wouldn't it be great if we could plan our own trip and get a bus.. We could then get to New York and visit stuff for much cheaper with our couponing tricks..
    check this out: http://www.citypass.com/new-york
    Last edited by quebecqueen; Fri, Apr 20th, 2012 at 08:32 AM.
    Earn free points, get a chance to win a great contest.. Follow this link it's worth you time I swear

Or this link as well for Quebec residents..Free GC and more..

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    18 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by rewok View Post
    Depending on what you want, you could do an "unguided" bus tour. It's pretty popular among my friends. They pick you up here, drive into New York. They, each day, they will pick you up at the hotel, drop you for the day, and bring you back at the hotel for the night. The price (hotel+bus) is usually cheaper than what you can get yourself for the same hotel, plus you don't have to drive up there, pay for parking or transportation in NY. Good compromise if you want to do your own stuff.
    THanks - can you give me a name of the company your friends use?

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    18 (100%)

I have find this one http://www.taketours.com/montreal/4-...-193-1572.html
    the 4th person is free - we are 4 so it would end up costing us 162.00 leaving on friday coming back on Monday
    What do you guys think? You stay in New jersey but that is ok -they bring you into NYC everyday and breakfast is included......this is the best one that I have found so far

The Frenzy tour was 180.00 more.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    135 (100%)

I'm originally from NYC, and took a brief look at the tour you linked, and see that all these sites they take you to are extra and not included in your package. I also see that they force you to purchase at least 2 of the paid activities in order for you to get the package deal (it's at the bottom of the page if you didn't see it). So I believe it will cost more than what you stated. Some of these activities are nice, but not so worthwhile in terms of $$$. Save for the Statue of Liberty and Top of the Rock, the other activities are not what I consider essential to seeing NY.

In the case of the Statue of Liberty, it looks like they want $25 for that one...If you don't care about actually being on the piece of land on which the statue is and are fine with just taking a boat ride that goes right past it, the Staten Island Ferry leaving from 4th street downtown (I think that's the same place as the ferry that costs money) is FREE. It's a passenger ferry for those who live on Staten Island and it's a really nice and relaxing 20-30 mins ride on which you can take plenty of pictures of Manhattan/Statue of Liberty, etc. ALSO, Statue of Liberty is closed inside, so you would not be able to go in, just see it from the exterior, so this is why I suggested a cheaper alternative...

To me, Metropolitan Museum of Art is an essential (which is also technically FREE, don't fall for the $25 admission, it's a "suggested donation" that they try to force on you. You can pay as much as you want and just tell them you will not pay the full price. Dirty looks will ensue, but really, $25 is outrageous)

Central Park is also a NY must. The other museums also if you like them: Guggenheim, The Frick, Whitney, etc, there are tons more). Chinatown is also fun fun fun, and wayyyyy bigger than ours. Little Italy is kitsch, but funny.

I don't know how you and your friends like to do trips, but since there will be 4 of you, if it were me, I would really be tempted to do it on my own, and just look for those unguided tours mentioned above so you are not riddled with extra fees that you may not want.

HOWEVER, I see that the last day they stop at Woodbury Outlets on the way back up to Montreal. THAT is the premiere outlet in all of the East Coast of the US, no better than that. You have stores there that usually do not have outlets anywhere else (Prada, Escada, Frette (high end bed linens and such), Brioni, Brunello Cucinelli, Dior, Dolce, Gucci, I mean the list goes ONNNN). I've managed to score $600 cashmere Prada sweaters there for $60, $500 jacket from Jil Sander for $30, etc). If you are into clothes and usually can't afford them, this is the PLACE.

Just watch out for the clothing crazed Japanese who bring rolling luggage to pack all their stuff and will push you over for the deals LOL.

Sorry for the long post, but feel free to PM me if you have questions.
    Tbites likes this.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I know some of them used this (Tour Amérique: New York en Liberté), it's 200$/person for 4:

(link is in French, hopefully you understand)
    http://www.toursamerique.com/details....asp?id=NYCLIB

I just remembered another agency some friends used:
    http://www.beltour.ca/fr/voyages-org...ork/en-liberte
    Last edited by rewok; Fri, Apr 20th, 2012 at 07:03 PM. Reason: added stuff

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    18 (100%)

Wow thanks everyone!! I have been to NYC already and did it on my own with no tour guide. The 3 other people we are going with have never been. I dont really care to take the tours - just want to get the best price to get there and a hotel room.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by quebecqueen View Post
    Wouldn't it be great if we could plan our own trip and get a bus.. We could then get to New York and visit stuff for much cheaper with our couponing tricks..
    check this out: http://www.citypass.com/new-york
    I love citypass, used them when we went to Boston a few years ago. Ended up doing lots of things we wouldn't have done because they were too expensive.
    And for us frugal folks, you can redeem your airmiles for citypasses.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information