User Tag List

Page 2 of 149 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 102 ... LastLast
Like Tree5643Likes

Thread: What's blooming in your yard?

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Wow, Zonny...that's some clematis. Your mystery plant is a hardy geranium.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by marstec View Post
    Wow, Zonny...that's some clematis. Your mystery plant is a hardy geranium.
    I think that my geranium was called something else when I bought it, I'm not normally a fan of geraniums. I thought geraniums would die if left out in the cold? This is a perennial, it keeps coming back and getting bigger!

And yes, my clematis is very big!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Zonny View Post
    I think that my geranium was called something else when I bought it, I'm not normally a fan of geraniums. I thought geraniums would die if left out in the cold? This is a perennial, it keeps coming back and getting bigger!

And yes, my clematis is very big!
    Zonny,
    The geraniums that die if left out in winter are actually pelargoniums or zonal geraniums. These hardy geraniums have a "spring-loaded" seed dispersal system...it will literally fling seeds across great distances. If you don't want rampant self seeding, you need to cut off the dried seed heads before they do their duty.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Here are a few more blooms for the week:
    Columbine - this one grows in full sun.
    Solomon's Seal - this one likes shade or partial shade.
    Siberian Iris - I have this growing in three different areas, from full to partial and from dry to moist conditions. It seems to do alright where ever it is planted.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    formic likes this.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Love the plant photos. Lovely clematis!

The fern peony's are very nice. I know that getting peony's to bloom can be tricky. I hear they like their roots buried not too deep into the soil otherwise they won't bloom. Just a suggestion for those that have not seen them bloom yet.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    36 (100%)

A gorgeous purple clematis out front. There is also a peony out there too. Patiently waiting to see when it will bloom. I wouldn't put my money on this year, that's for sure.

This is my first summer in our house so we're trying to resurrect the grass. I've spent the week weeding the entire back garden, putting in veggies (tomatoes, eggplant, carrots, peppers, sprouts) and pulling out some out of control bushes that looked like they hadn't seen pruning shears in years.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

We have a bit of a problem with weeds and moss in the lawn. So earlier this year I bought a bag of Scotts grass seed, with the intention of overseeding the lawn in a fairly inexpensive effort to solve our yard issues.

We (OK, I) procrastinated quite a bit, but yesterday morning myself and DS went out with the seeder. Rain was expected later, we seeded in minor drizzle, so we thought that was a good time to do it. We used about half the bag of seed. The instructions said to cut your grass short, rake up the soil a bit before putting out the seed. We didn't listen. We'd mowed last weekend, put down the seed this weekend without mowing again, no raking either.

It rained a bit on it yesterday morning, but by evening we had a bit of thunder and lightning and several periods of torrential rain. We see no evidence of seeds now, the rain drove them right to the ground I think. We'll see what happens in a couple weeks!

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

It took mine three years this being the third year it has 3 blooms on it I can't wait to see it in bloom finally.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Zonny,
    I've heard that about lawns: if you make the lawn really healthy the weeds don't have a chance to take hold. Not sure whether quackgrass can be included in that saying though! I did my lawn weeds out by hand because they are fairly sparse. The real trouble is the grass and quackgrass that's growing in my flower beds.

I'm going to insert a mini rant about the weather here....rained ALL weekend and as soon as Monday rolls around...out comes the sunshine!!!

Here are a few blooms today:
    Gasplant - this is the pink version, I also have a white one; the pink is taller. This is very slow growing, and does not like being moved. I have it in partial shade and it is doing very well.
    White Meadow Rue - this is in part shade as well. There is a nicer pink version but I can't seem to get it to live here.
    Jacob's Ladder - this one gets morning and early afternoon sun, but I think it would also do well in full sun. It self seeds, so if you don't want that, you'll have to deadhead.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    anisa and formic like this.

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

What's blooming in my yard? Totally the wrong plant! After two years, my peony that I've really been looking forward to bloomed and it's not the label on the plant container. (Yes, I still kept the original pot, so I know I'm not just seeing things.) It was a bit of an expensive plant and I had to wait two whole years to find out it's the exact colour and shape I *didn't* want.

I saw your mini rant, marstec, so I thought I'd add mine too. I think mine beats yours though. Love your pictures, by the way.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sweet sparrow View Post
    What's blooming in my yard? Totally the wrong plant! After two years, my peony that I've really been looking forward to bloomed and it's not the label on the plant container. (Yes, I still kept the original pot, so I know I'm not just seeing things.) It was a bit of an expensive plant and I had to wait two whole years to find out it's the exact colour and shape I *didn't* want.

I saw your mini rant, marstec, so I thought I'd add mine too. I think mine beats yours though. Love your pictures, by the way.
    What was the peony supposed to be? I find that plant labels cannot be trusted. They are often photoshopped to look more full, and the colours are not true. For example, the peony Karl Rosenfeld is usually described as being red...it is not, it's more like a deep fuschia. Plus, you have to trust that some jackbutt didn't switch the actual labels at the nursery. For this reason, I like to buy a blooming plant whenever possible.

It totally sucks that you had to wait two years for the bloom - if it happened when you bought it, you might have been able to take it back. Yep, definitely rant-worthy.

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

It was supposed to be a very light pink in colour, fading to white, double, strong fragrance. It turned out to be Pepto Bismol-pink, bomb shape, light fragrance (if any). Not even close....

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    36 (100%)

oh no Sparrow! What a disappointment.

I just realized the yucca (I'm pretty sure it's a yucca) is actually going to flower. It's growing a spike like a bromeliad does. I can't wait to see what happens to it next.

My eggplant has 4 flowers on it. Can't wait to see the actually eggplants start to come into their own.

Even the grass seed that I put down last week has started to sprout like mad thanks to all the rain we've been getting.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by gourmetsue View Post
    oh no Sparrow! What a disappointment.

I just realized the yucca (I'm pretty sure it's a yucca) is actually going to flower. It's growing a spike like a bromeliad does. I can't wait to see what happens to it next.

My eggplant has 4 flowers on it. Can't wait to see the actually eggplants start to come into their own.

Even the grass seed that I put down last week has started to sprout like mad thanks to all the rain we've been getting.
    You must have the right growing conditions for the yucca to bloom. In the warmer parts of the USA, yucca is considered an invasive. Mine is really struggling.

Keep an eye out for Colorado potato beetles on the eggplant. I know someone who grew it, and the beetles decimated the plant. Is it the large or small eggplant? No one will eat it at my house (besides me), or else I'd try to grow it. Okra is a really neat plant too, but I have no use for it.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Well I don't have much blooming, except for the Iris's and my peonies out front. I did plant annuals to add some color, and have added a few new periennals to the gardens, front and back. Here's a couple of pics of the blooming ones now. I have light pink and dark pink peonies. And some nice hostas.
    I also included a pic of the Begonias that I planted. Can't wait to see what they look like all grown up!

Name:  Begonias n stuff.jpg
Views: 852
Size:  66.9 KBName:  D. Pink Peony.jpg
Views: 899
Size:  59.5 KBName:  L. Pink Peony.jpg
Views: 761
Size:  83.8 KBName:  Iris.jpg
Views: 787
Size:  33.8 KB
    Kitty77, gourmetsue and formic like this.

Page 2 of 149 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 102 ... LastLast

Thread Information