• 2 Post By Mrs. Slocombe
  • 1 Post By sueshe
  • 1 Post By Gazpache
  • 1 Post By TrueNorthTreasures
  • 1 Post By sunny3

Thread: Non Fluoride Toothpaste

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I've recently been "blessed" with a skin condition that gets worse if you use fluoride toothpastes. Does anybody have any experience with non fluoride toothpastes? I know there's quite a few out there in health food stores but I don't know what I'm looking for with them?
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Maybe best ask your dentist for a recommendation because of your specific condition.

I've tried Tom's and it wasn't bad - however I went back to regular toothpaste.

If you can't have fluoride, check to see if your city fluoridates your water. Ours does.
    muggos0101 likes this.

Trading Score
    54 (100%)

We have all been brain washed that floride is good for our teeth,it's not. It's acually very harmfull. We should all wake up and smell the coffee,and demand they stop putting it in our water and toothpastes,and where ever else it's put in.Just do a little reasearch,you'll be amazed at what you'll find!
    CheriBomb likes this.
    Artificial Colors & Flavours in almost all our food... You should be concerned.Everyone should watch this...
    http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/345273-...health-canada/

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I can have fluoride but in the case of what I've got (perioral dermatitis) it's basically fluoride overload. Our water supply here is fluoridated but apparently it's because of the high levels in toothpaste that this keeps flaring up with me. It's embarassing, it looks like I've got an STD or something all around my mouth.

Does anybody know if there's any fluoride free toothpastes that are good for sensitive teeth too? Even with sensodyne my teeth are still super sensitive..

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    8 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Gazpache View Post
    I can have fluoride but in the case of what I've got (perioral dermatitis) it's basically fluoride overload. Our water supply here is fluoridated but apparently it's because of the high levels in toothpaste that this keeps flaring up with me. It's embarassing, it looks like I've got an STD or something all around my mouth.

Does anybody know if there's any fluoride free toothpastes that are good for sensitive teeth too? Even with sensodyne my teeth are still super sensitive..
    I haven't used fluoride toothpaste in years. I would recommend Natures Gate brand and I would avoid Toms altogether (speaking from experience, I have sensitive teeth too). When you get accustomed to nonflouride toothpaste, I would seriously research about making your own. It's very easy and you can customize the ingredients to your liking/health needs. Go to an independently owned health food store and you will find some great choices. Yes, they do cost more initially but the toothpaste lasts for a really long time. Best of health to you.
    Gazpache likes this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    8 (100%)

About your Dentist, prepare for the death stare from them when you tell them you don't use a fluoride toothpaste and in your case I certainly would not recommend the regular fluoride dosing when you get your regular check up. My children and myself do not get the fluoride treatments at the dentist and they are quite used to my anti-fluoride opinion by now.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Slocombe View Post
    I haven't used fluoride toothpaste in years. I would recommend Natures Gate brand and I would avoid Toms altogether (speaking from experience, I have sensitive teeth too). When you get accustomed to nonflouride toothpaste, I would seriously research about making your own. It's very easy and you can customize the ingredients to your liking/health needs. Go to an independently owned health food store and you will find some great choices. Yes, they do cost more initially but the toothpaste lasts for a really long time. Best of health to you.
    Thanks! I'll check out the Nature's Gate this weekend

And BTW LOVE LOVE LOVE the handle! I loved watching "Are you being served?" every night growing up! I always got such a kick out of Mrs. Slocombe's different wigs every week

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

There have been a few varieties of fluoride-free toothpaste that have graced the bathroom vanity over the past few years and I find that some flavours are hard to like for regular daily brushing. They might be good if you are without toothpaste for one day but I don't recommend a neem-pomegranate flavour (shades of Buckley's mixture cough syrup but less intense-gag), fennel (kind of black licorice tasting without the sugary taste) or anything with aloe (sorry, not in my toothpaste) for your daily scrub.

You want to make certain that the ingredient list does not contain sodium fluoride. I like Tom's or Nature's Gate in spearmint but not peppermint.

Baking soda-salty tasting but gets the job done if you want the most basic scrub around.

Disclaimer-I fell for the Crest 3D Whitening toothpaste (had a high value coupon incentive, of course) a couple of months ago to see if teeth would improve visually (slight improvement on most teeth except a stubborn eyetooth) but I find the fluoridated peppermint flavour annoying. Wish it was spearmint...
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Toms flouride free spearmint is the fave in our household. We've been using it for about 8-9 years,ever since learning how important it is to avoid ingesting flouride. Even if you don't swallow any toothpaste,it is absorbed through gum tissue. What's amazing to me is how long dentists kept advising patients to use flouride,and it's only recently that some of them are saying to use it with caution. Change is slow.
    mwieler likes this.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Thanks everybody

I bought a tube of the Nature's Gate brand.. it's definitely got a different texture and taste to it. It reminds me of the seaweed molds that they use to make dental molds. It's taken a bit of getting used to but it's not too bad! It doesn't have much of a minty flavour so I don't feel like my breath is as fresh as it felt with regular toothpaste. it seems to do a good job cleaning though! I'm going to use up this tube and then maybe try to find something with a stronger mint to it..
    Ciel likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Hi there,

I really like Healthy Gum Drops by Living Libations (link below). It is worth its weight in gold - rather expensive but excellent quality (and it's available in several sizes). Be sure to watch their related videos on YouTube about "Successful Self Dentistry".

http://www.livinglibations.com/body-care/tooth-care

I also use LUSH's Toothy Tabs. They are okay, nice for brightening/whitening teeth and are easy to pop into your purse or cosmetic bag for travel. I wouldn't use them every day, though, as they contain an abrasive (likely baking soda).

http://www.lush.ca/Toothy-Tabs/tooth...,en_CA,sc.html

Neither or these products contain fluoride.
    mwieler likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Slocombe View Post
    About your Dentist, prepare for the death stare from them when you tell them you don't use a fluoride toothpaste....
    Oh, wow - isn't this the truth!! *L*

Pawkeys
    Trading Score
    87 (100%)

It is very very easy to make homemade toothpaste. Google and you will find a lot of different recipes.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I would imagine you've tried other alternatives- if you brush your teeth excessively (perhaps you don't) cut down to twice a day, use tiny amounts of tooth paste, brush with water. My orthodontist had told me toothpaste isn't essential so i was instructed to brush with water during the day and only use paste before bed and in the morning. Also, if you use mouthwash, ensure your mouth wash doesn't have fluoride in it. Some do, some don't. If you crave that super minty fresh feeling, you can always follow up a bland paste with a minty mouthwash. Minty floss can also help you get that feeling. I had tried Tom's and liked it but I switched back to regular paste in the interest of cost.
    Ciel likes this.

Thread Information