User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree113Likes

Thread: Any tips to become organized and be motivated to do some cleaning ....

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Gourmetsue makes a good point about being overwhelmed-that happens when I try to tackle a pile of stuff that is stored but never used though it is kept because it might be needed (college notes/books).
    One task at a time--I'd suggest clearing a table surface and while removing things off of it, toss out empty containers, recycle expired flyers or shred mail that is not needed. Put the remaining things in one pile on the floor. Wipe, vacuum, polish. Wash hands and take a sip of a favourite drink. Look at the pile--are there things you can put away/file? What items need a place of their own? Is anything having to go back to someone? What are you feeling when you are looking at those things--are they even all yours (you might have someone else's stuff and how long has that been?)--something to figure out for later as it may help you to find a way to get keen to clean.
    Personally, I like to toss an old clothing item or pair of shoes if I get a new item/pair of shoes into the house.
    You probably know which areas you have multiples of things and it's up to you to determine if you need one or none of each, and find a way for the other units to depart (garage sale, donation store, scrap metal yard, hazardous waste site trip, etc.).
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Take advantage of long weekends, if you are not going away.
    Plan ahead to do one major cleaning task. No more.
    Use one of the long weekend days.
    Relax and have fun on the other two days.

This takes care of 9 months worth of major cleaning tasks. March, June and November don't have any long weekends so you're off the hook.
    Last edited by Shwa Girl; Sun, Jun 17th, 2012 at 08:52 PM.
    macw1960 and ninna like this.

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Today, I got inspired to organize/clean/declutter the bathroom. It's not a huge project, but there's a three-shelf closet that I keep my toiletries stockpile in. I can't remember when the last time was that I cleaned behind it all. No one ever sees them, but I know the dust bunnies are there, breeding and growing bigger by the month. I cleared everything out, cleaned the baseboards, swept the floors, reorganized, and also took anything out of the bathroom that didn't belong to toss or donate. I made so much room that I was able to pull down heavier things from the other shelves.

It looks so much better, I feel so much better about the weight distribution, and even DH remarked that it "looks really good". If he noticed, it must be a big deal!

One of the things I'm going to donate is a lovely curling iron that worked so well for me in the past, but I don't use anymore. It's just clutter if I'm not using it, so out it goes! I also found a gift for my sister, who had her eye on something in a shop once and asked me if she thought she should get it. Well, she can have mine! I haven't used it since I bought it and forgot I had it. As an extra super bonus, I'll make someone else's day.

One room down, so many more to go! I suggest for one of your first projects, that you pick something easy that would make a big difference. I was staring at that closet for weeks, but today, I sucked it up and just did it! Now I'm excited to do more!
    AmberLab likes this.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    Personally, I like to toss an old clothing item or pair of shoes if I get a new item/pair of shoes into the house.
    I'm a huge advocate of this. It really helps to filter out the excess 'stuff' you have. Especially with things like kids toys which can mutate like Gremlins. Every 6 months or so, go through the stuff and make a donation bag and bring it to your local charity.
    macw1960 likes this.

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by gourmetsue View Post
    If all else fails, I invite my ADHD mum over and then it's a whirlwind off activity.
    Totally off topic, but about 15 years ago, when I was working at a retail store, a new management associate was hired and boy did he slack. Loved the breakroom, he did. My friend, Bob, described him as a 'whirlwind of inactivity'.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sweet sparrow View Post
    Today, I got inspired to organize/clean/declutter the bathroom. It's not a huge project, but there's a three-shelf closet that I keep my toiletries stockpile in. I can't remember when the last time was that I cleaned behind it all. No one ever sees them, but I know the dust bunnies are there, breeding and growing bigger by the month. I cleared everything out, cleaned the baseboards, swept the floors, reorganized, and also took anything out of the bathroom that didn't belong to toss or donate. I made so much room that I was able to pull down heavier things from the other shelves.

It looks so much better, I feel so much better about the weight distribution, and even DH remarked that it "looks really good". If he noticed, it must be a big deal!

One of the things I'm going to donate is a lovely curling iron that worked so well for me in the past, but I don't use anymore. It's just clutter if I'm not using it, so out it goes! I also found a gift for my sister, who had her eye on something in a shop once and asked me if she thought she should get it. Well, she can have mine! I haven't used it since I bought it and forgot I had it. As an extra super bonus, I'll make someone else's day.

One room down, so many more to go! I suggest for one of your first projects, that you pick something easy that would make a big difference. I was staring at that closet for weeks, but today, I sucked it up and just did it! Now I'm excited to do more!

My mind wandered...sorry.

macw1960 and sweet sparrow like this.

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by walkonby View Post

My mind wandered...sorry.

That's okay. I'm sure it's just the street walker in you talking.

It's a bottle of Lubriderm for her dry hands.

Remind me to invite you if I ever have another wedding shower though.
    macw1960, DaveP, ninna and 1 others like this.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

oh sweet sparrow! I logged in just now, totally forgot my naughty post last night, I laughed so hard at the wording in your paragraph, yeah you are right...just the " streetwalker " in me talking. lol!!!
    macw1960 and DaveP like this.

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Oh walkonby, you're going to make my mother question the company I keep...

I went through all my coupons and took out a few in my personal collection and added them to my trade list. It's not as visually pleasing as it is to do the laundry, but it tidies up the mail area and office desk somewhat. I recycled all the old flyers, and began moving things that belonged in basement storage.

I also did a load of laundry, which does wonders for decluttering. Even gathering everything to one place and sorting them by colours makes a big difference, especially if you have family members that seem to leave a trail wherever they go. (Picture someone who's continually moving dishes, clothes from their place to somewhere it doesn't belong, and me following with a basket, picking it all up.)

Now that DH has gotten rid of the huge brown spider in the basement, I can continue the cleansing process. Remember to celebrate the small victories, everyone!

Next to clean out the garden of weeds!
    macw1960 and walkonby like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

declutter everything first and organize
    the cleaning will be easier
    nothing more revolting is clutter.
    macw1960 likes this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

If you see that your garbage collection schedule allows for extra bags/containers on certain weeks, hello decluttering activity!
    That is permission to get those extra bags/containers filled so they can go to the curb for collection i.e. worn-out clothing (salvage any good buttons first) and shoes, textiles that you cannot use for rags or painting jobs, plastic tote bags that have shredded and lost their use, kids' artwork or projects (remove names first) that have no space or audience (you'd probably encourage a couple of pieces to stay for the sake of a memory chest, scrapbook or portfolio), broken plastic ware and pet toys, broken dishes/glasses (taped securely into corrugated box or sturdy food plastic tub, marked "broken glass/ceramic" and closed), and odd things from the junk drawer/cutlery drawer (like too many bread bag tags, old twist ties, dodgy elastic bands, takeout cutlery of questionable age or old condiment packages, kitchen utensils that have more "scars" than use left, rusty paring knives or peelers (safely wrapped for disposal) and whatever else you can find and see that its time to leave is now.

The day before collection, I check the newspaper pile for issues ready to hit the blue box, flyers that missed getting filed "blue" when the mail was brought in and any takeout brochures that probably won't see heavy use to add to the recycle bin. If paper messages or offers are kept on the fridge top or with a magnet on the doors, I check them too to see if they get shredded, kept or recycled. Sometimes I notice the fridge needs a vacuum on top and in behind the coils so I do that too.
    Last edited by Ciel; Mon, Jun 25th, 2012 at 02:14 PM.
    macw1960 likes this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Go visit a show/model home
    This motivates me enough to start cleaning once I get home lol
    Ciel and macw1960 like this.

mamatotwo
    Trading Score
    193 (100%)

I love this thread. I am always looking for suggestions. One suggestion I have(sorry if it has already been suggested) is to start with one area like a closet, under the bed, the toy box. Take one thing out at a time, deside weither or not you want to keep it and weither or not it belongs in that spot. If it does not blong there put it away immediately. If you find that you are having trouble staying organized perhaps look in to different storage options. Your storage solution may not be big enough or appropriate for what you need it for.
    macw1960 likes this.

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    Totally off topic, but about 15 years ago, when I was working at a retail store, a new management associate was hired and boy did he slack. Loved the breakroom, he did. My friend, Bob, described him as a 'whirlwind of inactivity'.
    I worked with his English counterpart....We used to lock her clock card in the poisons-cabinet and wait for her to come screaming round because 'SHE'D FORGOTTEN TO CLOCK IN"...

She only grew up when she moved to another section where her new boss had been warned about her ....erm..habits..and refused to sign any paperwork to return the flex-hours she'd missed by not clocking in...
    macw1960 and DaveP like this.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

The Pengiunettes, 14 and 10, are responsible for their own laundry. I had one too many " Mum...where's my gym kit????" at 7 am when the bus is 7.20 am. You wash it...you know where it is...

We are spending part of the summer holiday getting the lil'penguins to take some pride in the house and the work I do in it..Hopefully that will stop them being soo irresponsible round it..
    Jina, macw1960, DaveP and 1 others like this.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information